collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: McLeish to lay down the law  (Read 10036 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
McLeish to lay down the law
« on: June 30, 2011, 10:52:51 AM »
sportinglife.com

New Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish will "lay down some ground rules" on how he expects his squad to behave when they report back on July 7 for pre-season training.

McLeish was renowned for fostering a strong team spirit at Birmingham during his three-and-a-half years in charge at St Andrew's.

But the former Scotland boss will also stand no nonsense if players step out of line.

McLeish said: "I don't think there is any doubt about the fact that I'm in charge. Where we're coming from is that we will lay down some ground rules.

"There will be templates for the training ground and some in-house rules so no-one is in any doubt from the start about the way forward for the club.

"If there is something that needs to be said in front of the whole group, then it gets said and the guys will be told.

"But at the same time I think you've got to establish relationships as well with players, and vice-versa, to get the best out of them."

McLeish has already indicated that the slate is "wiped clean" for any players who were not part of previous Villa manager Gerard Houllier's plans.

Stephen Warnock, Stephen Ireland and Habib Beye were given few opportunities by Houllier.

Offline Mazrim

Re: McLeish to lay down the law
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:57:54 AM »
It's all fair enough but I think the likes of Beye and Warnock have their cards marked no matter what is said to the media.
Ireland, well at least he has something to offer if he gets over himself. You could at least imagine him being very effective reading Bent's runs and playing him in and Bent would also enjoy this.
Chances are he will be finding a new club before September though.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 11:07:33 AM »
To get rid of players there have to be buyers and the players need to want to go there. I fear we might get stuck with them.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 11:09:37 AM »
He can 'lay down the law' as much as he likes, at the end of the day the players have the upper hand and can tell him to fuck off on the slightest whim.

Sad, but true.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 11:21:07 AM »
All new managers say either this and/or that they are going to bring back attractive football. It's the law.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 11:35:42 AM »
To get rid of players there have to be buyers and the players need to want to go there. I fear we might get stuck with them.

If you think about the number of positions that need filling, then maybe it makes sense to give some a chance to re-build their Villa careers.  For instance, at the moment we need two fullbacks, but give Warnock a chance and it's only a RB, so we could consolidate whatever part of the 'war chest' we have earmarked for there to get Kyle Walker.  If it doesn't work out then Luke Young can play there and we get a new LB in Jan or next summer.   

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 11:38:36 AM »
He managed to keep Lee Bowyer in line with his "ground rules", I'm sure he'll cope with any of our upstarts.

While I agree players should at all times remain professional and committed to the club, the amount of players Houllier fell out with suggests that Houllier was the main problem.

If he was as good at rubbing the players wrong way as he was the fans, it would explain a lot.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 11:58:27 AM »
The players last season fell out with either Houllier or Mcallister. Or both. Now they are no longer in charge, there genuinely is an opportunity to have a clean slate. Ireland will be his biggest challenge. He might need some terrestial help to get that back on track ........

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 12:05:21 PM »
I think it is good to have rules and McLeish seem's  strong enough to enforce these rules.

Offline villa_oldie

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 01:59:22 PM »
He can 'lay down the law' as much as he likes, at the end of the day the players have the upper hand and can tell him to fuck off on the slightest whim.

Sad, but true.

Too true, you try telling an arrogant multi-millionaire in his early/mid 20's that he's not pulling his weight... I gather his response in a lot of cases will be "whatever man"

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 02:05:19 PM »

Sad, but true.

Too true, you try telling an arrogant multi-millionaire in his early/mid 20's that he's not pulling his weight... I gather his response in a lot of cases will be "whatever man"
after he has removed his stupid headphones.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 02:30:42 PM »

Sad, but true.

after he has removed his stupid headphones.
Thing is, unless they play for one of the top clubs such as Arsenal or Manure, they can say 'fuck off' and chances are their agent will fix up a lucrative move to another Premier club.

If Ireland still displays hatstand behaviour that would make Roger Irrelevant look normal, there will still be another Premier club willing to take him on, on top dollar.

I'm not knocking McLeish, but most Managers have very little leeway when it comes down to dictating the state of play.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 03:37:02 PM »

Sad, but true.

Exactly true, can you imagine laying down the law to Stephen Ireland, he'd be away reporting a child abuse case.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 03:47:46 PM »
It didn't work for Houllier, what makes him think it will work for him?

Guess it depends how you approach it

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 03:47:51 PM »
The players last season fell out with either Houllier or Mcallister. Or both. Now they are no longer in charge, there genuinely is an opportunity to have a clean slate. Ireland will be his biggest challenge. He might need some terrestial help to get that back on track........

With some you wonder about their ability though.  Beye never seemed, or at least was not reported, to be a disruptive influence, but then he's not good enough regardless.  And apart from his first 6 months here the same could be said of Warnock.  Collins and Dunne you'd be hopeful of getting back to their 09/10 form

And then there's Ireland.  He strongly strikes me as the sort who needs an arm round their shoulder as opposed to a rocket up their arse.  If Mcleish can do that he'll be called a managerial genius by some, yet if he can't he won't be blamed as he's not his signing and he's all but been written off anyway.  It's a no lose situation for him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal