collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by SamTheMouse
[Today at 12:43:35 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by OCD
[Today at 12:41:13 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 12:40:24 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 12:17:57 PM]

Villa songs on Alexa by Louzie0
[Today at 12:16:54 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by WarszaVillan
[Today at 12:15:25 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by olaftab
[Today at 12:08:48 PM]

Diego Carlos by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:02:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: First 11  (Read 35040 times)

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: First 11
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 02:36:41 PM »
Can we change the thread title to First 7?

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »
Guzan

Young
Collins
Dunne
Clark

Albrighton
Makoun
Delph
Bannan
Downing

Bent

Subs: Marshall, Cuellar, Warnock, Petrov, Ireland, Gabby, Fonz

Similar to most but I really want to see that midfield 3 at some point, I think they'd be great together going forward, would just need to work on them putting pressure on without having to kick people in the air.

I agree with that (though god does the defence need improving!). That midfield might not be the most physically imposing, but there's plenty of energy, tenacity and ability to keep the ball under physical pressure, not to mention three of the best technical players at the club (along with Downing's left foot and Petrov, maybe). Delph and Bannan in particular could really cause opposing teams damage, I feel, and with the experienced, and hopefully settled, Makoun to help them that could really work. My only worry is that Clark, Makoun and Delph are somewhat cards waiting to happen.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 05:47:04 PM »
Guzan
Young,Collins,Dunne,Warnock
Albrighton,Clark,Petrov,Downing
Agbonlahor,Bent

Marshall,Cuellar,Baker,Ireland,Delph,Delfouneso,
Weimann

Still no place for Beye, Makoun or Heskey and Warnock,Dunne and Ireland would be under scrutiny for three games before the transfer window closed.

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 07:34:38 AM »
Foster
Young Collins Shawcross Warnock
Makoun Delph
Albrighton N'Zogbia Downing
Bent

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 07:51:03 AM »
Guzan

Young
Collins
Dunne
Clark

Albrighton
Makoun
Delph
Bannan
Downing

Bent

Similar to most but I really want to see that midfield 3 at some point, I think they'd be great together going forward, would just need to work on them putting pressure on without having to kick people in the air.

I agree with that (though god does the defence need improving!). That midfield might not be the most physically imposing, but there's plenty of energy, tenacity and ability to keep the ball under physical pressure, not to mention three of the best technical players at the club (along with Downing's left foot and Petrov, maybe). Delph and Bannan in particular could really cause opposing teams damage, I feel, and with the experienced, and hopefully settled, Makoun to help them that could really work. My only worry is that Clark, Makoun and Delph are somewhat cards waiting to happen.
Looks a bit lightweight in the middle of the park. Not sure we'd have enough steel with Bannan & Delph.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 12:50:56 PM »
Guzan

Young Collins Dunne Warnock

Albrighton   Makoun Petrov  Downing

Gabby Bent

Subs...Marshall Lichaj Clark Bannan Ireland Heskey Fonz.

Blimey.

Can anyone really see an eck team having two upfront and two out and out wingers away from home?

I also don't like this confirmed idea of pairing Gabby with Bent. Both work better as the lone striker so I'd rather stick with 4-5-1 away and maybe just do it at VP for the winnable home games.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 02:25:01 PM »
Guzan

Young
Collins
Dunne
Clark

Albrighton
Makoun
Delph
Bannan
Downing

Bent

Pretty much what I would go for (Maybe Cuellar into the back four). I still have a bit of a worry about Makoun and Delph defensively as whilst they are willing to put their foot in they tend to do it a little too hard which may cost us. Whilst I think all three of that midfield are great footballers I fear we may have to sacrifice one of them to accommodate an NRC. With three footballers as good as Jean deux, Bazza and Fab whilst there are some question marks over them I feel we should at least give them a chance before letting these get in their way so I'd probably alternate two of them with an energetic, hard working player who puts his foot in sensibly.

Alex seems determined to play two up front at home so whilst I don't think it is absolutely the best way to go I can actually see it working if we try Delph or Makoun with someone like this new DM.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 02:51:47 PM »
The idea that 4-4-2 should be played at home as an attacking ploy is a myth. In a 4-4-2 you are unlikely to be able to keep the ball properly owing to numbers in midfield, ability to move off the ball and gaps between the lines, and if you don't have the ball then you are defending. 4-4-2 is, at best, a counter-attacking formation where the midfielders sit deep, you defend deep and look to break out with an outball to two forwards or the use of the wings.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 04:07:24 PM »
It all depends on the players within that 4-4-2.

If you've got a genuine attacking central threat and a striker that drops deep, then it can work to break down the bus parkers.  However, neither Gabby nor Bent can do that too well and our best attacking midfielder is Ireland, so it may not work for us at home.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 04:43:11 PM »
I agree with the reservations  about 4-4-2 and I'd much prefer a system with three in the middle. The trouble is that it seems that McLeish is inclined towards playing 4-4-2 (at least at home) next season.

My personal belief is that under MoN that the problems of the system were exacerbated by our personnel. We never did seem to get the right combination in central midfield. We had two players who were too similar in Petrov and Barry and laterly a Petrov who had started to fade badly paired with Milner who had to try to do the work two men later on in the game. If we re-sign NRC and pair him with Delph or Makoun it will work better. That said it will remain sub optimal and lack some creativity from the centre but hey-ho we're probably going to line up 4-4-2 next season anyway.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 05:10:27 PM »
Pretty much agree John.

However, this is how we will line up...

Foster
Walker
Collins
Dunne
Enrique
Makoun
Delph
Milner (c)
Albrighton
N'Zogbia
Bent

Guzan
Clark
Young
Bannan
Gardner
Agbonlahor
Delfouneso

:)

Don't you want us to bring in new players in central-defence where we arguably need them most?

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 07:48:18 PM »
I think Gabby will be playing an Anelka type roll, with another on the other side of Bent in a 4-3-3. I can't see any of our current central midfield coping in a 4-42. Milner and Delph may be ok, were Jmmy to come back, but Diego would certainly not.

As such, with what we have right now -

Guzan

Cuellar
Collins
Dunne
Young

Makoun
Delph
Petrov

Downing
Agbonlahor
Bent