collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: RAL Takeover 5 Years In  (Read 35681 times)

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
Re: RAL Takeover 5 Years In
« Reply #135 on: June 28, 2011, 12:41:50 PM »

Isn't that more or less a return to the pre-lerner era?

In a way yes, but Chelsea and Citeh have torn up the pre-Lerner rulebook. Back in Uncle Doug's day it wouldn't have taken a huge investment for us to have cracked the "Big four" or whatever they were calling it then, Ellis was either unwilling or unable to do this depending on your viewpoint.
To crack the Champions League places now would take a massive amount of money or a great deal of luck (see Spurs benefiting from a combination of Liverpool going tits-up and Citeh buying players but not a team).

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #136 on: June 28, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »
Aye, without 'space race' spending the best we can hope for is a good cup run and a sniff of UEFA football

sad but true

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #137 on: June 28, 2011, 04:22:13 PM »
Im not sure I agree.  A good youth set up which we seem to have will also get us there.  It will take time, but Arse make Chumps league every year, and most of those players have been developed rather than paid through the nose.  Thats the way I would prefer it...

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #138 on: June 28, 2011, 05:54:28 PM »
Im not sure I agree.  A good youth set up which we seem to have will also get us there.  It will take time, but Arse make Chumps league every year, and most of those players have been developed rather than paid through the nose.  Thats the way I would prefer it...

Time is something which today's 'jam today' fans just will not give any manager or any owner.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #139 on: June 29, 2011, 04:10:09 PM »

Time is something which today's 'jam today' fans just will not give any manager or any owner.

And isn't something that will lead to success anyway.  We've had some decent young players come through the ranks, but how many have moved on to a be bigger success elsewhere?  We certainly don't develop enough of sufficient quality to trouble the top clubs.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2011, 04:42:37 PM »

And isn't something that will lead to success anyway.  We've had some decent young players come through the ranks, but how many have moved on to a be bigger success elsewhere?  We certainly don't develop enough of sufficient quality to trouble the top clubs.

With Arsenal it is more down to them nicking the right 16/17 year olds from European clubs than producing their own that come up through the ranks.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2011, 04:54:50 PM »
The difference between us and Arsenal, though, is that their job is merely stay in the top 4 (having been there for ages), whereas we have to break in from behind, which is considerably more difficult. Still, it seems that Arsenal, with their approach, may be the club most likely to fall out of the CL spots.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal