collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by OCD
[Today at 11:57:16 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by LeeB
[Today at 11:55:11 AM]

Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread by tomd2103
[Today at 11:53:23 AM]

Kaine Kesler Hayden by Risso
[Today at 11:49:08 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 11:41:07 AM]

NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 11:35:24 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Risso
[Today at 11:04:59 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:02:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: RAL Takeover 5 Years In  (Read 35605 times)

Online kippaxvilla2

RAL Takeover 5 Years In
« on: June 25, 2011, 03:55:43 PM »
Lerner said: "It is my belief and the basis for my bid that Aston Villa can compete at the highest level within the Premiership and in Europe.

"The club has a rich history and a long tradition of passionate fan support."

In the statement, RAL added: "We will be looking to allocate financial resources across multiple fronts such as an upgraded training ground and facilities, which are intended to include the academy, stadium upgrades and player acquisitions.

Good points - The Academy, traning complex, the pub redevelopment, player acquisitions especially in the early years. 

Bad points - Major faux pas over handling of manager appointments/departures, player contracts, alienating fans especially this summer, poor board appointment, PR gaffes, a club that is now way, way short of the resources required to match the original ambition as stated above.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 04:03:08 PM by kippaxvilla2 »

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: RAL Takeover 5 Years In
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 03:57:33 PM »
Academy and training facilities great, and some highlights. Although if we completely regress now it means nothing. So he needs to make statement or it was all for nothing.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 04:11:45 PM »
To his credit Randy gave it his best shot, but his investment was placed in the hands of the wrong manager and the plan failed. Now we have to adjust to being happy with Premier League survival, and the occasional cup run if we're lucky, lest we 'do a Leeds'. We may still yet 'do a Leeds' if we do not sturdy ourselves and pull in the same direction for the grind ahead. Appointing a manager with a poor Premier League record from our most hated rivals will do little to unite fans in backing the 'new Villa'* especially in such a precarious transitional season.       

*Some might say this amounts to the same as the old Villa.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 04:24:08 PM »
I think we're entering endgame now, since O'Neill left the club have lurched from one fuck up to another. I think Mr Lerner Sir now realises that he can't compete, so has more or less given up.
I can see the club being sold.

Disappointing all round after the massive inroads we made in the first 3 years or so.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 04:26:34 PM »
They haven't realised their ambitions, the Premier League has moved on and Lerner doesn't have the money or the nous to keep up with the pace.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 04:29:39 PM »
A series of missed opportunities.

Offline ez

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 04:32:31 PM »
Can't see the north stand being redeveloped now  ???

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 04:35:57 PM »
I still blame mon, I think I always will for the way he spunked away so much money on so much shite.
I still think/hope RL has an ace up his sleeve like bent...

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 04:37:58 PM »
Big, big disappointment, but as stated, i think the good intentions and effort have been there to an extent. In all fairness though, i was dissapointed after that first full summer '07, after rubbing my hands together thinking we were going to do a mini Chelsea, and then the best signing being Reo Coker. I've occasionally been impressed since, the training facilities sound good, the signings of Milner, Downing and Bent although 2 of those came after selling our best player.
Had a few good moments on the pitch, most noteably getting to a cup final and the win at OT and the 5-1 against the blues. Got to say, i was expecting so much more.
Having said that, i wouldn't be in a rush to see us sold unless to a multi billionaire as at Chelsea and Man City.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 04:38:44 PM »
Lerner's shit. He's done nothing for us. I always said so, I just kept quiet about it for 4 1/2 years. He should sell up now to a consortium of Arab billionaires. There's bound to be one waiting.

There you go - that'll save a few pages.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 04:43:48 PM »
Well done Dave, perfect response.

Offline martin

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 04:46:49 PM »
Randy's blown it.

How?

We don't know who he his, what he does and what he believes in because he doesn't speak to us.

I don't mind mistakes so long as they are committed by people willing to engage in dialogue about how those mistakes came about.

In previous instances of fuck ups Doug just patronised us.

Randy refuses to even talk to us when he fucks up

Which is worse? 

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 04:52:43 PM »
Lerner's shit. He's done nothing for us. I always said so, I just kept quiet about it for 4 1/2 years. He should sell up now to a consortium of Arab billionaires. There's bound to be one waiting.

That's possibly one of your more petulant responses.

The reign is 5 years old, given the events of especially this summer, I think it is worth analysing its record.

Obviously you dont believe what you write is correct, but I am fairly certain you do not think RAL have been perfect either in their stewardship so why not give us the good and bad points, assuming you want to contribute any further to this debate, if not fair enough.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 04:54:39 PM »
IF we had given longer contracts to all our star players, we would be in such a different position, but lets face it the only way to truely compete is a consistant injection of money.

Randy was never going to continue spending millions and millions, the only way he could do that is by, us filling the ground and him charging us £1200 a season ticket, which no one would accept, so we all need to accept where we are right now.

We missed the boat when MON messed it up, but even if we would have made the CL, look at spurs, its still very difficult to attract top players and sustain the success.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 04:56:59 PM »

That's possibly one of your more petulant responses.

The reign is 5 years old, given the events of especially this summer, I think it is worth analysing its record.

Obviously you dont believe what you write is correct, but I am fairly certain you do not think RAL have been perfect either in their stewardship so why not give us the good and bad points, assuming you want to contribute any further to this debate, if not fair enough.

Really? Well it's one of your more tedious threads so that makes us even.

We're having this debate just about everywhere now, and it's getting a bit boring. Randy does what we want him to do for four years - Randy's great. Randy does something unpopular - he's crap and he always has been, everything the club does now is wrong. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal