collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Young can't be replaced - Delph  (Read 11265 times)

Offline Rick_avfc

Re: Young can't be replaced - Delph
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 04:52:01 PM »
I think what we will miss more about young is his work rate.  He never stopped running and showed alot of energy.  We'll also miss the amount of free kicks he won for us in dangerous positions.

Just a shame he then despatched the vast majority of those free kicks high and wide into the North Stand or Holte in his last two seasons.

Thats exactly why I didn't continue my comment about winning freekicks  due to what you said above lol

Offline Austin1975

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 04:52:31 PM »
Come on fellow Villans, in a couple of weeks we'll be saying Ashley who?

Let's be honest, his last season and a half have hardly been awe inspiring. Yes, we've seen glimpses of the good (not great) player he can be. The trouble was inconsistency. One good game followed by three or four mediocre.

Constant whining at the referee game after game, which resulted in unnecessary yellow cards didn't help our cause when short in numbers. Also, the 'I'm bigger than Aston Villa' mentality was wearing a little thin near the end. Houllier gave him a free reign in letting him play wherever he wanted when he should have been out on the wing.

Sure, he's had a couple of decent games for his country, but is he really what Manure require? Is he better than Nani or Valencia? I wouldn't say so.

You can't blame him for wanting Champions League football, but I think he may find himself in the same position as Mr Milner given time. Good luck though Ashley, I think you'll need it.

The future's not bright, it's ginger and sweaty.   

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 04:55:15 PM »
Im pretty sure he wont be whinning to the ref for UTD.  He could get away with it at Villa but with the likes of Fergie, Rio, Vidic and Giggs around, he will soon pipe down and get on with it.

Offline sg

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 05:13:44 PM »
Im pretty sure he wont be whinning to the ref for UTD.  He could get away with it at Villa but with the likes of Fergie, Rio, Vidic and Giggs around, he will soon pipe down and get on with it.
What! Man.U have been by far the worst for moaning/whinging to the refs (whiskey face included), so Ash will fit right in!

If anything our players should have been doing it more to apply more pressure to the refs/lino's to get decisions later in the game.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 05:16:38 PM »
I really don't understand why so many people on here are willing to have a pop at young.  He was a fantastic player who was key in almost everything that's been good about the club since randy took over.  He's gone to one of the biggest clubs in the world and will do a really job for them.

Last season he played very well for the most part but some people only wanted to see the stuff that went badly and ignored all the good he did for the team.

He will be very difficult to replace and him leaving will probably result in some big changes in the setup of the side.

Offline sg

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 05:25:03 PM »
I really don't understand why so many people on here are willing to have a pop at young.  He was a fantastic player who was key in almost everything that's been good about the club since randy took over.  He's gone to one of the biggest clubs in the world and will do a really job for them.

Last season he played very well for the most part but some people only wanted to see the stuff that went badly and ignored all the good he did for the team.

He will be very difficult to replace and him leaving will probably result in some big changes in the setup of the side.
100% agree.

People say he moaned and whinged to the lino's/refs too much... so what! Its only what Gerrard / Terry / Rooney etc have been doing for years. Its systematically applying pressure to the officials so their sides are more likely to get the 'crucial' decisions their way later in the game. We should be doing it more!

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 05:41:25 PM »
Come on fellow Villans, in a couple of weeks we'll be saying Ashley who?

Let's be honest, his last season and a half have hardly been awe inspiring. Yes, we've seen glimpses of the good (not great) player he can be. The trouble was inconsistency. One good game followed by three or four mediocre.

Constant whining at the referee game after game, which resulted in unnecessary yellow cards didn't help our cause when short in numbers. Also, the 'I'm bigger than Aston Villa' mentality was wearing a little thin near the end. Houllier gave him a free reign in letting him play wherever he wanted when he should have been out on the wing.

Sure, he's had a couple of decent games for his country, but is he really what Manure require? Is he better than Nani or Valencia? I wouldn't say so.

You can't blame him for wanting Champions League football, but I think he may find himself in the same position as Mr Milner given time. Good luck though Ashley, I think you'll need it.

The future's not bright, it's ginger and sweaty.   
Agree with you completely Austin. I just don't know why ManUre want him when they already have two very similar players...can only assume they intend getting rid of Nani/Valencia over the next year or two to comply with new regs. (Or play a team composed completely of wingers!)
The lad wants to play at the very top while he can. Can't blame him for that - it's just a pity we haven't made the progress as a team/club for that to happen with us. I just hope we get someone in who can pose a similar threat but who can actually cross a ball into the danger zone that makes life difficult for our oppo defence, not to give the keeper catching practice!

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 05:47:16 PM »
Rio is the worst!

Offline eastie

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 05:52:19 PM »
Young is a big loss but nowhere near as big a loss as Milner was- he was the engine and has never been replaced.

Offline madirishvillain

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 06:09:26 PM »
Young is a big loss but nowhere near as big a loss as Milner was- he was the engine and has never been replaced.

nail on head

Marc can take over from Young

Milner has never been replaced (and is never likely to be)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 06:35:39 PM »
Milner will be replaced  when another  kid comes along  either this season or next..don't you worry.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 06:39:01 PM »
Who's going to waste every free kick, corner, moan at refs and generally act like a loose cannon?

We'll miss the Ashley of 2008/09 but certainly not from last season.

Online john2710

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 06:40:59 PM »
Ash will be replaced, I have no doubt about that. What we need is someone to replace Milner & play alongside Delph.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 06:43:44 PM »
Young leaving is not a wrench when Barry or Milner left for me. We have super Marc who can fill the gap and other midfielders who should come on this season - Delph for example.

Albrighton's got a long way to go before he can replace Young. And Delph is nothing like Young - a totally different player.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 07:15:35 PM »
Austin,good post, i agree with you

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal