collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Young can't be replaced - Delph  (Read 11300 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Young can't be replaced - Delph
« on: June 24, 2011, 03:20:38 PM »
birminghammail.net

Midfielder Fabian Delph has admitted Aston Villa will struggle to replace former team-mate Ashley Young following his dream move to Manchester United.

Young completed his switch to Old Trafford yesterday, and Delph believes the men he left behind will miss him not just for his pace and skill, but also his work-rate.

The midfielder told the Birmingham Mail: "It happens all the time, it's football. People come and go and you have just got to deal with it and just keep going.

"I don't think he could be replaced, to be honest with you. His all-round work ethic was absolutely unbelievable. He must have run twice as much as most people on the pitch.

"With his goals and assists, it will be very hard to replace him - but if we can get somebody here half as good as him, then he would still be a great player.

"You get a lot of players who are not selfish, but do more of their work in the attacking half of the pitch, whereas Youngy is up and down, when he's on the right-hand side especially, working hard for the boys.

"The lads appreciate that from a winger who has flair, but still wants to graft."

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Young can't be replaced - Delph
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 03:24:46 PM »
We're not about to spend 20 million on a similar player so in that regard it's going to be hard to replace him directly. We just need to find another way to win. Great players leave teams all the time, the best teams find new ways to win. It will be a big challenge but we can do it with the right blends of players and commitment.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 03:54:15 PM »
We're not about to spend 20 million on a similar player so in that regard it's going to be hard to replace him directly. We just need to find another way to win. Great players leave teams all the time, the best teams find new ways to win. It will be a big challenge but we can do it with the right blends of players and commitment.

Great players leave our team every summer would be a more accurate assessment.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 03:54:26 PM »
He wasn't a great player and we will replace him. Let's not forget that for the last season ans half  he has been frustrating and mostly ineffective. He is  not a Brian or  a Sid type of proper great player.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »
Young leaving is not a wrench when Barry or Milner left for me. We have super Marc who can fill the gap and other midfielders who should come on this season - Delph for example.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
He's a big loss, we need top quality to replace him. I think it's a case that some people have forgotten how good he actually is.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 04:05:44 PM »

Great players leave our team every summer would be a more accurate assessment.

every summer for the past 3 which is a bit of an anomaly. It happens to every club though, we're just not paying as much attention to it.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 04:10:02 PM »
It all depends on how the money is re-invested.

Spurs are the classic example.  They sold Berbatov and Keane, (their best two players) and spent the money very wisely, making them much stronger than with Berbatov and Keane. 

Offline martin

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 04:13:30 PM »
He'll eventually be replaced by another young and talented player who we will sell to Manchester United.

Offline luke25

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 04:16:28 PM »
"I don't think he could be replaced, to be honest with you. His all-round work ethic was absolutely unbelievable. He must have run twice as much as most people on the pitch.

This for me is what we'll miss from him more than anything.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 04:22:38 PM »
It is losing key players like Delaney, Mellberg, Bouma, Laursen, Carew and Friedel for nothing in the last 4 yrs that has caused us as many problems as losing Barry, Milner and Young, at least we got decent fees for these guys that we could reinvest.

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 04:23:44 PM »
I think what we will miss more about young is his work rate.  He never stopped running and showed alot of energy.  We'll also miss the amount of free kicks he won for us in dangerous positions.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 04:35:08 PM »
I think what we will miss more about young is his work rate.  He never stopped running and showed alot of energy.  We'll also miss the amount of free kicks he won for us in dangerous positions.

I agree with you Rick.

Offline sg

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 04:38:13 PM »
He wasn't a great player and we will replace him. Let's not forget that for the last season ans half  he has been frustrating and mostly ineffective. He is  not a Brian or  a Sid type of proper great player.
7 goals and 10 assists in 34 appearances isn't frustrating and mostly ineffective in my book.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 04:48:50 PM »

Just a shame he then despatched the vast majority of those free kicks high and wide into the North Stand or Holte in his last two seasons.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal