collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Filling the Ash void; who or how?  (Read 12124 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Filling the Ash void; who or how?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 08:17:56 AM »
Like Paulie says, it dose'nt have to be like for like. Someone like Adam can do all the things Ash used to, take corners, free kicks, pens and he can pass the ball as well.

As for a direct replacement, i've not seen much of Sinclair to comment. N'Zogbia would be the obvious replacement, and there's SWP, who has'nt played a lot of football in the last few years who may do well again given more games.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 08:31:37 AM »
I think SWP is pretty much a spent force these days.

As I said, if it's 442, and Downing stays, we don't need a direct replacement.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 08:39:33 AM »
As others have said, 442 wont suit Ireland. I cant see the Gabby, Bent partnership working as neither are comfortable playing with a partner.

IMO Bent was at his best for Sunderland when he played alongside Kenwyne Jones and i'd like to see a Agbonlahor/Bent partnership given a chance.As for replacing Young i'd much rather Albrighton was given his chance than sign another winger

Offline sg

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 08:42:16 AM »
Front 6 options - Home 4-4-2:
------------------------------Petrov/NRC---------------------------------
Albrighton----------------------------------------------Downing/N'zogbia
--------------------------Delph/Makoun/Bannan

-----------------------------Bent-----------Gabby/Fonz--------------------

or away from home 4-5-1:

----------------------------Makoun-----------Petrov/NRC-----------------
Albrighton--------------------------------------------------Downing/Nzogbia
--------------------------------Delph/Bannan-------------------

----------------------------------------Bent-----------------------------------

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 08:57:29 AM »
I said yesterday, We've cleared over 12 players off the wage bill, big players such as Friedel, Young, Carew, NRC, Pires.

I think we can afford to splash out on a couple of marquee signings, nzogbia would be a good start, if we fill the team with steady eddies I will not be impressed

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 09:00:09 AM »
David Junior Hoilett from Blackburn. He's going to be a cracking player.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 09:04:10 AM »
Front 6 options - Home 4-4-2:
------------------------------Petrov/NRC---------------------------------
Albrighton----------------------------------------------Downing/N'zogbia
--------------------------Delph/Makoun/Bannan

-----------------------------Bent-----------Gabby/Fonz--------------------

this for me too

or away from home 4-5-1:

----------------------------Makoun-----------Petrov/NRC-----------------
Albrighton--------------------------------------------------Downing/Nzogbia
--------------------------------Delph/Bannan-------------------

----------------------------------------Bent-----------------------------------

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 09:10:57 AM »
I hope the board realise that losing Young is a blow. And that who they replace him with (directly or indirectly) needs to be inspiring. I think they know it and will act on it.

Personally, I'd go with Adam to do all the set piece and creative duties that Young had but also go for the next up and coming star, the next Young, and that might possibly be Alex Oxtail-Marmalade Chamberlain.
Another consideration is that we have a couple of outstanding wingers in the youth teams but a couple of years away at least from consideration.

The other thing we could do is get Samwell Sturridge and use him as a winger and a striker.
Take the Young cash and make Villas-Boas an offer he'd find hard to refuse (because he'll buy Falcao).

I'd also be happy with N'Zogbia.

Offline BedsVillain

• Twitter:
  • GM : May, 2013
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 09:11:33 AM »
Matt Phillips from Blackpool would be a decent option. A bit diffferent to our other 'wirey' wingers. 6'1" and a quick, powerful lad.

Offline King of the Nørth

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 09:13:29 AM »
I get very nervous when i read AM is saying that we are going to bring the kids on, that says to me there is no big money to be spent and Randy is looking for an exit. Last season we had to rely on the kids and although they tried they just were not up to it as our losses piled up. It was only when semior players became fit that we improved. Very worried.

I disagree I think the senior players should be held accountable for the losses not the kids. If they were showing form and not making stupid errors then the likes of Delph, Bannan, Clark & Albrighton would have less pressure. Lot of individual errors from Warnock, Dunne, Friedel and Collins didnt help and cost a lot of points. Doubtful we could get A.Johnson or Hoilett so we will prob have to look abroad in all honesty. Young definately needs replacing though in case of loss of form/ inury to Albrighton.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 09:21:57 AM »
I think McLeish has alluded to different playing styles at home and away.  This could mean our front 6 at home being:-

Albrighton Makoun Delph Downing
             Agbonlahor Bent

But away it could be:-

Albrighton Makoun Delph Downing
                    Ireland
                       Bent

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 09:35:51 AM »
We handled losing Barry, we didn't really handle losing Milner, losing Young should be the hint the board need to go out and spend big. Otherwise we'll really struggle.

Albrighton has huge potential but we can't expect him to replace our most creative outlet just yet. He made far too many unforced errors last year, he's still learning.

Online Duncan Shaw

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 09:40:34 AM »
Have you been on the sauce early Maz?

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 09:54:20 AM »
Elia would be an extremely exciting signing. I think and hope, Albrighton will step into the void. He did well last year but will probably feel he could have done more especially in the 2nd half of the season and hopefully will shoulder the extra burden of responsibility.

I am still undecided on Charlie Adam. I cant say I watched him enough over 90 mins last year to really judge him. A lot of people who have watched him have said to me that he is a bit of a highlights player, he gives the ball away a lot because he is always looking for the champagne pass and that he struggles to get around the pitch for 90 mins.

But then you look at the goals and assists he got for a relegated team. His set piece delivery on its own is worth millions (as Fergie said).

If we do sign him, I cant wait to be able to actually hope for a goal from corners as opposed to Ashley skying it over to the opposite corner. If we have Adam delivering it into Dunne, Collins, Cuellar and Bent I could see us being a real threat from set pieces again,

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 10:29:22 AM »
I get very nervous when i read AM is saying that we are going to bring the kids on, that says to me there is no big money to be spent and Randy is looking for an exit. Last season we had to rely on the kids and although they tried they just were not up to it as our losses piled up. It was only when semior players became fit that we improved. Very worried.

I disagree I think the senior players should be held accountable for the losses not the kids. If they were showing form and not making stupid errors then the likes of Delph, Bannan, Clark & Albrighton would have less pressure. Lot of individual errors from Warnock, Dunne, Friedel and Collins didnt help and cost a lot of points. Doubtful we could get A.Johnson or Hoilett so we will prob have to look abroad in all honesty. Young definately needs replacing though in case of loss of form/ inury to Albrighton.
You didn't pay attention, Warnock hardly played last year, and it was at the time when we had a lot of injuries including the two centre backs, you can't blame them for being injured.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal