collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Filling the Ash void; who or how?  (Read 12122 times)

Offline Gaztonniller

Filling the Ash void; who or how?
« on: June 24, 2011, 01:05:49 AM »
So now that Ashley has departed to newer pastures there's that little matter of trying to fill the void left.
Being positive, sometimes when influencials player leave, it creates opportunity for other players to come forth and take up the reins. Eg Rnaldo leaving Man U saw Rooney become more prominent, Henry leaving saw Adebayor blossom, or even teams are forced to adopt a whole new approach entirely when no longer reliant on one central figure. When Ferguson wasnt leading Evertons front line, i always thought they played better footy. 

So for next season down VP, who or what for you can make Ash a distant memory. 

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:31:00 AM by Gaztonniller »

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: Filling the Ash void; who or how?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 01:28:28 AM »
Good question.

I'd go for adam Johnson and Hoilett. Johnson in the right of the attacking 3 in a 433 and downing on the left. The understudies being Albrighton (right) and Hoilett (left)

It might cost us a few bob more than the money received for Young but I think we'd be ready, or more ready for Downing's departure next year with these two.

Online KRS

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 02:15:46 AM »
Do you really think Adam Johnson would leave Citeh and the CL for Villa? He would be a great signing but just cant see it happening.

I'd like us to get N'Zogbia, Adam, a rejuvenated Ireland, plus a strong ball winning midfielder...that would give us options in the midfield. AM has stated that he would like to see Gabby and Bent play together so I think we'll be more 442 than 433.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 02:24:53 AM »
As others have said, 442 wont suit Ireland. I cant see the Gabby, Bent partnership working as neither are comfortable playing with a partner.

New keeper
new right back (walker), Dunne, Clark, Warnock
----------------Reo Coker------------Delph
Albrighton-------Ireland-------------Downing
-------------Bent------------------

Potentially a good side but Clark and Albrighton might struggle a bit next season as often young players do. Useful to have Collins as back up for centre half but we seem to have little options out wide. Ireland in a few fleeting International appearances did alright on the right of midfield so he could be an option there at times if we wanted Gabby to come in or Makoun.

A lot of buts though - Stephen Ireland a complete looney tune, noone knows how that will go, warnock hopefully we can get a reasonable season from. Walker hasnt signed neither has Reo Coker. Plus we dont have a keeper yet.

Offline olofmilosevic

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 04:51:35 AM »
As others have said, 442 wont suit Ireland. I cant see the Gabby, Bent partnership working as neither are comfortable playing with a partner.

New keeper
new right back (walker), Dunne, Clark, Warnock
----------------Reo Coker------------Delph
Albrighton-------Ireland-------------Downing
-------------Bent------------------

Potentially a good side but Clark and Albrighton might struggle a bit next season as often young players do. Useful to have Collins as back up for centre half but we seem to have little options out wide. Ireland in a few fleeting International appearances did alright on the right of midfield so he could be an option there at times if we wanted Gabby to come in or Makoun.

A lot of buts though - Stephen Ireland a complete looney tune, noone knows how that will go, warnock hopefully we can get a reasonable season from. Walker hasnt signed neither has Reo Coker. Plus we dont have a keeper yet.

i like this!

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 05:00:30 AM »
I get very nervous when i read AM is saying that we are going to bring the kids on, that says to me there is no big money to be spent and Randy is looking for an exit. Last season we had to rely on the kids and although they tried they just were not up to it as our losses piled up. It was only when semior players became fit that we improved. Very worried.

Offline mark1968

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 05:37:05 AM »
Stephen Ireland a complete looney tune, noone knows how that will go

Unfortunately, I think we already know! :(

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 05:59:49 AM »
I get very nervous when i read AM is saying that we are going to bring the kids on, that says to me there is no big money to be spent and Randy is looking for an exit. Last season we had to rely on the kids and although they tried they just were not up to it as our losses piled up. It was only when semior players became fit that we improved. Very worried.

I think we will spend only the money to come back from player sales. It is worrying and Id prefer if Lerner was showing up at fan forums than McLeish. But then again Cuellar, Petrov, Heskey, Beye, Warnock are probably all up for sale if the right offer comes in. Will release more funds. I think those five can go to be honest but we need experienced players to come in too.

McLeish badly needs a big signing to get fans back on side and reassure the current staff that they arent retreating as a club that sees top 10 as success.

I think Given would be a good one to kick things off. The English market seems crazy at the moment, maybe he can find a gem from elsewhere.

As for the youths, this is a huge season for Delph. He came to us with a lot of hype, has shown class in flashes and has had injuries but this is his time to nail down a spot in midfield. Thought Reo Coker and himself both played well against Bolton that day and could possibly be our partnership next season.
If Gary Gardner is anywhere near as good as the hype about him suggests then it could be a breakthrough season for him too.
Id have worries about Clark at centre half as he has no recovery speed. Really think like Barry his best place will be midfield but hopefully he can push on.
Albrighton had a breakthrough season last time out but as often with young players didnt finish it too well and has a long way to go too. Might be a bit much to expect him to be first choice from the start next season.
I dont rate Bannan as highly as others here but if we stay away from 442 then he can have an impact.

I really think Hogg, Baker, Lichaj, Delfouneso are squad players for us - think Houllier did them a favour by sending them on loan and if 1 or 2 of them even came through it would be great.

Question marks over Makoun and Ireland aswell.

Huge job for McLeish but he is incredibly lucky to have been given such a chance anyway

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 06:57:48 AM »
N'Zogbia would be a good signing for us I think he could a job for us he would fill the void left by Ashley Young.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 06:59:09 AM »
I hope we don't just decide right Gabby plays, 4-4-2 is the way to go just to get him in the team. I think Young needs a like for like bought, and N'Zogbia is the closest thing out there to it. Young gets bums off seats. Without him we will be very 1 dimensional IMO. 

If the Eck comments are straight up about no money, then 14-10th will be about as good as we will manage as we need a good keeper, creative mid and winger, before the full back areas need addressing.

Offline rutski

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 07:28:42 AM »
scott sinclair looks a decent shout!

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 07:37:07 AM »
How about a 4-4-2 with the front 6 looking like this:-

Albrighton - new DCM - Delph - Downing
                 - Gabby - Bent -

What you then get is retaining the width and also having Gabby up top where he's best and will get us 10-15 a season, which along side Bent's expected 20ish would be a top partnership.  Delph does the box to box job as he has the energy and ability and should get 5-10 if a regular 1st choice.     

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 07:44:08 AM »
scott sinclair looks a decent shout!
Always rated him, he'd be a lot cheaper than N'Zogbia.

No matter though, we won't be signing either.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 08:03:59 AM »
Replacing Ash with N'Zogbia would be a good move. Not replacing him (doesn't have to be like for like, I mean with another creative player) would be asking for trouble.

We had an enormous amount of.business to do before we sold Young. We've got even more now.

Offline godzvilla

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 08:10:23 AM »
A few players we have been linked with of late who may or may not be capable of filling the Ashley Young vacancy :
 ANDRES GUARDADO ( Mexico )
ELIJERO ELIA ( S.V.Hamburg / Holland Intl )

I,ve watched some vids of Guardado , he looks the biz , cracking volleyed goal against Costa Rica .
Elia seems more ' like for like ' compared with Young , overall , given the choice ( as if ! ) I,d go for Guardado ......Godzvilla!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal