collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Cuellar to Rangers?  (Read 16262 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Cuellar to Rangers?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 01:32:48 PM »
One of Houllier's strangest decisions.  Dunne had been unfit, and playing badly for weeks, then got himself injured.  In comes Cuellar against Wolves, plays a blinder, then the next week when Dunne was fit again,finds himself back on the bench.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 01:35:33 PM »
One of Houllier's strangest decisions.  Dunne had been unfit, and playing badly for weeks, then got himself injured.  In comes Cuellar against Wolves, plays a blinder, then the next week when Dunne was fit again,finds himself back on the bench.

yep that I believe is number 8 on the my list of 'Why Houllier is fucking useless'.Oh and by that i'm not alleging he was taking Gary Mac up the marmite motorway

Offline King of the Nørth

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 01:54:38 PM »
 Posted this in the transfer rumours thread ;

I actually think if McLeish can get Dunne back to consistent form he is prob the best tackler/stopper at the club. Pair him up with C.Clark who has more pace and comfortable on the ball and you could have a very good CB pairing there. Clark bringing out the ball from the back, Dunne making last ditch challenges and booting the ball away when under pressure could work very well. Wasnt it Dunne who tried persuade Clark to join ROI instead on England? Could help coach the kid into our future El Captain.

So IF we sell Cuellar, we'd still have Collins and Baker to come in. I would prefer to keep Carlos but he hasnt had the chance to make an impact here. For whatever reason every Villa manager weve had hasnt given him consistant games at CB so they must see something we cant.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 01:59:01 PM »
Noone tends to mention the Wolves home game in which he played and played poorly at centre half.

He was poor in his first season but he was kind of a strange signing anyway. Laursen, Davies even Knight was there. He wasnt really needed. He got shifted to right back by default.
Second season he had some very good games at centre half but I couldnt blame MON for having Dunne/Collins as first choice as they were the best partnership. Moving him to right back was a typical MON fudge and weakened the team somewhat
Last season he was very unlucky not to hold his place after the Wolves away game in which he gave his best display in a Villa shirt. But he did get chances under Houllier when he was fit. He suffered with injuries too last season to be fair to Houllier.
We need to cut a centre half. 3m seems far too low and he is capable of playing at a much better club than Glasgow Rangers. But Id consider letting him go too if the price was right.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 02:04:47 PM »
He would need replacing if sold, 3 centre halves would not be enough.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 02:14:30 PM »
I'll never understand that either.

Carlos has never let us down, on or off the pitch.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 02:17:22 PM »
Eck wants to do Rangers a favour by selling them back their former player of the year.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 02:18:13 PM »

yeh, massive head scratcher that. And especially after he'd gone out of his way to compliment his display publicly. It wouldn't suprise me if Carlos has had a quiet word and said if the opportunity arose he'd go back to Rangers, or Spain as another option. I don't think he'd go to a different English club.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 02:18:44 PM »
To get someone of equal or better quality that CC is going to cost a hell of a lot more money than we will get for him.
It seems a stupid decison to sell, particularly if doesn't really want to go. 

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 02:19:38 PM »
Each place you finish higher up the table is worth over approximately £500,000 at the end of the season.
There's nothing to be gained by letting a player leave for peanuts then have to replace him for possibly more money. Carlos is a good bloke to have in the squad and has always appeared happy to be so.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »
He's our best defender and it would be ridiculous to sell him for any less than we paid for him.

And we shouldn't even do that, we should be putting him at centre-half.

What he said.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »

yep that I believe is number 8 on the my list of 'Why Houllier is fucking useless'.Oh and by that i'm not alleging he was taking Gary Mac up the marmite motorway

he really wasn't "fucking usless" though was he? Just because he makes a decision that we don't agree with, doesn't make a manager of very good standing within the game a write off. In fact, by the end of the season you could see real signs the club was going in the right direction.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 02:45:15 PM »
We need to keep Cuellar, Carlos and Clark would also be my first choice pairing next season with baker and either Dunne or Collins has back up.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 02:54:09 PM »
£1.5 million offered?! Rumours we'd accept £3 million??!! Absolute nonsense!! Keep him and get the best out of him

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 03:24:23 PM »
I'd only sell if we got back £6m. If he's sold it'll take at least £8m to replace him. He's a top class, last ditch 'meat and potatoes' type defender. They don't come cheap so why sell him at a bargain price. this makes no sense.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal