collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by tomd2103
[Today at 12:14:34 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:06:52 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 24, 2024, 11:56:03 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Hillbilly
[April 24, 2024, 11:46:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[April 24, 2024, 11:04:47 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[April 24, 2024, 10:35:53 PM]

MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[April 24, 2024, 10:01:13 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[April 24, 2024, 09:46:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stephen Ireland - Clean Slate?  (Read 68159 times)

Offline Mazrim

Re: Stephen Ireland - Clean Slate?
« Reply #285 on: July 11, 2011, 02:01:31 PM »
He hasn't hit his peak yet and just because it hasnt happened yet, doesnt mean it never will.
Sometimes a change in philosophy or just something "clicking" can mean a player hitting his straps.
He has all the raw ingredients needed and that's most of the battle.

Also, being more muscular doesn't mean he's any slower.
Look at the Olympic sprinters. Most of them are even heavier built than Gabby.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #286 on: July 11, 2011, 02:01:43 PM »
If the ever increasing stories of slashed budgets are true, we're going to have to play the fucking fruit loop on a regular basis.

Need some good news soon, things are looking a bit grim.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #287 on: July 11, 2011, 02:03:36 PM »
He hasn't hit his peak yet and just because it hasnt happened yet, doesnt mean it never will.
Sometimes a change in philosophy or just something "clicking" can mean a player hitting his straps.

I reckon he needs to stop shagging things that look like they chase after car wheels.

His bollocks must be like two dehydrated pancakes.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #288 on: July 11, 2011, 02:06:37 PM »

I reckon he needs to stop shagging things that look like they chase after car wheels.

His bollocks must be like two dehydrated pancakes.

Where I'm from, this is known as "Batwings".

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #289 on: July 12, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
Irelands best game for us was at home to Chelsea, when NRC & Petrov played with him in a middle three. Maybe that's what is needed. 2 work horse players along side him to give him the freedom to get forward.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #290 on: July 12, 2011, 08:12:23 AM »
Expect to see Ireland or Gabby on one wing, with Albrighton on the other.

Can't see that - Ireland isn't a winger and playing him out of position would only endanger whatever stability Mcleish can get back into him.  If Downing leaves and A N Other winger doesn't come in, which I doubt, I can see either Delph or Bannan being asked to play wide. 

......neither is Gabby, he hasn't got the ability to do what's required with the ball - pace is not in and of itself, enough.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #291 on: July 22, 2011, 02:40:22 PM »
Not getting carried away or anything because of the type of game and opposition, but I thought some of his passing last night was excellent. He got into good positions, and picked out runners with some very good through balls. He looked sharp and interested throughout and it's obviously a bit of a shame he's picked up a knock. Hopefully it's not too serious because it will be important for him to keep playing and staying involved. Nice re-start though, as it was for Warnock.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #292 on: July 22, 2011, 04:17:53 PM »
Expect to see Ireland or Gabby on one wing, with Albrighton on the other.

Can't see that - Ireland isn't a winger and playing him out of position would only endanger whatever stability Mcleish can get back into him.  If Downing leaves and A N Other winger doesn't come in, which I doubt, I can see either Delph or Bannan being asked to play wide. 

......neither is Gabby, he hasn't got the ability to do what's required with the ball - pace is not in and of itself, enough.

True, but the difference is Gabby wouldn't go into a sulk that would last for the rest of the season if asked to play there. 

Ireland might.

Offline supertom

« Reply #293 on: July 22, 2011, 07:33:38 PM »
Here's hoping Ireland manages to acknowledge that a change in attitude is needed, in order for him to be a successful player. Surely, SURELY, he must realise that if he carries on like last season, that he'll be heading down the leagues quickly, as we'll fuck him off, and he'll have few takers. It'll be like that club to club, and he'll end up like Marcus Bent. Here there and everywhere and never seemingly that interested in footballing matters.

Ireland has so much potential though. He is still only young and I hope he's ready to knuckle down. I do think McLeish is a man manager and the sort who'll be able to keep a firm discipline, without alienating players (unlike Houllier, who's methods didn't work, even accounting for disgustingly bratty behaviour from senior players).

So far the signs seem good. He's apparently put the work in on the training ground and hit the ground running last night. Good luck to him, because we genuinely need him. Not only because we've lost Ash and Downing, but because he can change the emphasis of our style of play. We've been too reliant on wingers, which has limited our game. We should be playing with one, not two. Tis the modern way. It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect 10-15 goals from an on song Ireland. If he then decides to move on to bigger things a year down the line, we flog him for profit. But it'd be nice to make money on him.

Offline Muscle-Dolphin

« Reply #294 on: July 22, 2011, 08:34:12 PM »
Of course Ireland deserves another chance.  Some of his passes were magnificent yesterday.  He needs to develop some chemistry (personally and on the pitch) with some players.  I'd like to see Bent (who seems like a really cool guy) mentor him.  AM seems to be the type of guy that some of the more "spirited" types could respect.  We need Ireland (and a top notch winger) and Ireland needs us.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #295 on: July 22, 2011, 08:47:27 PM »
He was fantastic yesterday. Great awareness. Superb passes and incisive movement. Long may it continue.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #296 on: July 22, 2011, 08:48:20 PM »
Well since we are trying to give players who are at the club a chance I'd hope he can reward us, clean slate fair enough.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #297 on: July 23, 2011, 04:01:56 PM »
Even if he's only playing for a move we could get a few good months out of him. Yes, it was only Walsall but he looked good.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #298 on: July 23, 2011, 04:44:57 PM »
In reality, our current squad with right management should easily be able to secure 7th or 8th which is our level at the moment. There's no point bankrupting the club and trying to keep up with the teams at the top when we just don't have the resources to compete.

Oh my God - is someone actually talking sense here? 

If Stephen Ireland plays up to his strengths it will be like having a world class new signing.

If he plays down to his weaknesses - it will be more of the same old same old.

It is up to him.

And I for one think he can redeem himself - but wouldn't say he will.

And yes, he looked very promising at Bescott.

UTV

Offline KRS

« Reply #299 on: July 23, 2011, 04:54:23 PM »
My only concern (other than the obvious mental issues) is that he tends to over play it in midfield sometimes...a stray pass can easily open us up and cause a swift counter attack that would be punished in the Premier League. He also seems a bit lightweight in the tackle when trying to win the ball back.

On the positive side, he showed great vision and played some incisive balls against Walsall...if Bent can stay onside there will be plenty of goals to be had.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 04:56:17 PM by KRS »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal