collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stephen Warnock  (Read 11186 times)

Offline Rick_avfc

Re: Stephen Warnock
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 12:15:21 PM »
I think we should get rid of Warnock although I believe AM will give him another chance just like Ireland and Dunne etc etc.
Personally, I think Warnock knew deep down his days were numbered when GH came in as wasn't he the one who got rid of him when he was at Liverpool or was that rafa?  :-\
I just dont think he is good enough anymore and will struggle to find his best form from now on.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 12:23:33 PM »
Very true Gregnash,most weeks we also knew who the sub and subbed and what time it would be to

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 12:26:48 PM »
Warnock's a funny one. Excellent for six months, then fairly ordinary (though still going to the WC), then all over the place for six months (ill-disciplined, flying into reckless challenges), then completely bombed out of the squad even though we barely had a senior LB to turn to.

Be interested to see what AM does with him, and one or others. Something that struck me about GH is that he seemed to have big problems with a handful of players we barely heard a peep out of under MON.

yeah but they were the ones who under MON were guaranteed to play however crap they were barring injury. Most people could name our starting line-up and subs bench every week.

The ones who weren't playing were hardly vocal though either.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 12:37:32 PM »
I am counting down the minutes until the first I am misunderstood, nobody ever gives me a chance, story of the summer.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 12:39:07 PM »
From Ireland I should add.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 12:53:45 PM »
Warnock's a funny one. Excellent for six months, then fairly ordinary (though still going to the WC), then all over the place for six months (ill-disciplined, flying into reckless challenges), then completely bombed out of the squad even though we barely had a senior LB to turn to.

Be interested to see what AM does with him, and one or others. Something that struck me about GH is that he seemed to have big problems with a handful of players we barely heard a peep out of under MON.

yeah but they were the ones who under MON were guaranteed to play however crap they were barring injury. Most people could name our starting line-up and subs bench every week.

The ones who weren't playing were hardly vocal though either.

True but most of MON's squad signings probably realised being at Villa being paid 40k a week for doing nothing was about as good as it was going to get for them. If you were MFH for instance, i wouldn't be that tempted to leave for a 15k a week wages drop

Offline Merv

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 01:07:46 PM »
You get my point though - the squad seemed a very tight bunch under MON and I'm curious as to why, under him, Dunne, Collins and Warnock all seemed very professional, committed, consistent. Under GH suddenly form dropped/disappeared, off field issues were raised, etc. Interesting to see how AM handles these same players.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 01:08:05 PM »
True but most of MON's squad signings probably realised being at Villa being paid 40k a week for doing nothing was about as good as it was going to get for them. If you were MFH for instance, i wouldn't be that tempted to leave for a 15k a week wages drop

True, but the players now 'playing up' are also paid handsomely, so the argument doesn't stack up that the only reason they weren't doing it under MON was as they were playing.   

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 01:08:51 PM »
There was history between him and GH from Liverpool so it was always likely to go wrong between them. As for giving him another chance, well I've never taken to him, even when he was supposedly playing well, just never thought he was anything special.  He seems a bit thick and arrogant, regularly allows himself to get drawn into spats with opposing wingers that invariably end in him giving away needless dangerous free kicks.  I think we need better and could do better and I hope we do.   

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 01:18:57 PM »
You get my point though - the squad seemed a very tight bunch under MON and I'm curious as to why, under him, Dunne, Collins and Warnock all seemed very professional, committed, consistent. Under GH suddenly form dropped/disappeared, off field issues were raised, etc. Interesting to see how AM handles these same players.

Yep, that's been my opinion all along.Dunne in particular is held in very high regard by his former managers.Anyway, that along with Houllier is the past now.As for Sid, well he's been involved in coaching for the best part of 20yrs and i'd very much doubt he hasn't had fallings out in the past.I'm sure both coach and player have the ability to be professional about any personal feelings (should the reports be 100% true).McLeish is facing a hard enough job as it is trying to win over the fans,he'll want to keep the senior pros onside.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 01:24:34 PM »

True, but the players now 'playing up' are also paid handsomely, so the argument doesn't stack up that the only reason they weren't doing it under MON was as they were playing.   

Different circumstances. If you're MFH or Beye and there's nowt better to hope for then you'll probably keep your mouth shut.. If you're good enough to play in the PL, or think you are, then maybe not.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 01:27:48 PM »
I see they are advertising last seasons dvd on the club website

'relive last season' Are they kidding ?!

I would have thought the first day and the last week of the season will make short viewing

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 01:36:59 PM »

Different circumstances. If you're MFH or Beye and there's nowt better to hope for then you'll probably keep your mouth shut.. If you're good enough to play in the PL, or think you are, then maybe not.

Not really as I think similar applies to those who have been unsettled last season as they're highly unlikely to get similar money if/when they leave here.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
Warnock was a disaster at Left Back, he wasn't even that bad on the deck he was just crap at heading and time and time again you'd see teams coming to Villa Park and trying to play the long ball over the back of him or at least try and put it in the air near him.

We've never been able to replace Freddy Bouma have we? I think Clarke could be the answer if he's given a long run in the team to build experience/develop his skills.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 01:50:17 PM »

Not really as I think similar applies to those who have been unsettled last season as they're highly unlikely to get similar money if/when they leave here.

well the proof in the pudding is how many of the players who were totally out of the running under MON, started shouting the odds when Houllier took over and they still found themselves in the cold? Maybe i've missed it but i don't remember too many "Beye - let me go Houllier" or "Curtis demands move" headlines. The only ones who played up were exclusively from those who were no longer nailed on starters and think they can still cut it in the premiership

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal