collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How important are ASTON VILLA to your life?  (Read 15523 times)

Offline Countryside Villain

• GM : 11.05.2016
Re: How important are ASTON VILLA to your life?
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2011, 07:18:54 PM »
I love football, I love the Villa.  If something else comes up that stops me from watching a game, I pretty much generally do it.  Life comes first, Villa are at the top of the "if I've got the time" category. If I can live life and spend time with family and friends AND see the Villa, then lucky me.

There are better fans than me and there are people that need some perspective in life.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2011, 08:38:50 PM »
Villa are a very important part of my life.

My Dad started taking me down in 1989 to see whether I'd enjoy going.  My Dad has been a season ticket holder and a very passionate supporter since the early sixties.

I don't recall the very early games, apart from the fact I used to cry at the living room window when he decided for whatever reason not too take me. I remember vivid things like my name being on the score board for what would have been my 5th birthday.

I had my first season ticket in the old Witton Lane Stand, aged 6 in the 1991-192 season. I loved everything about going to the Villa.  I remember my mum asking upon picking me up from school with a few of my friends birthday parties and saying "well Dan, who's party are you going too? Will it be Phil's or Tracey's"
My reply was "I can't mum, we've got Notts County at home"!

I moved to Manchester for a job in 2007, and yet I've still kept my season ticket.  I've not ever missed a home league game. I've also only missed one Cup Game, The only exception was the Rapid Vienna game last season.  I had a meeting at work that I just couldnt get out of or re-arragne!. I've also been to pretty much every away game since 1992. 

I still go with my dad, and I've got to admit to re-arranging prety much everything around the Villa.  I'm in a stable relationship, and she puts up with it.  Holidays, you name it is re-arranged around our fixture list!

I think the reason I am the way I am, is because I've been going from such an early age that I really don't know any different. For me, going to the Villa is  literally a way of life.  It's still the highlight of my week. It's also just as important that my Dad still comes home and away with me. It's what we do together, and he introduced it to me.

I've also had some fantastic experiences watching Villa away and in Europe and have so many different experiences, travels, stories to tell and a great bunch of mates that I commute with from Manchester.

I'm also commemorating my 500th game against Wolves on 27th August. Not bad for a 26 year old!
Up The Villa.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 08:41:28 PM by Holte L2 »

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2011, 08:57:28 PM »
Important.  But not the be all and end all.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2011, 09:04:21 PM »
I do not subscribe to the either or approach which seems to require that you either have a balanced productive satisfying life and watch the Villa when you can and when it fits in with other important stuff or you are totally consumed by the passions of following your chosen team.

I cannot think of any activity or pursuit I have been denied or been deprived of by following Villa.   I mow lawns, tile bathrooms, pay bills, support charities, go to church, sign petitions, moan at the wheelie bin men just like  other normal human beings.   I did once try to clip a yew tree at the top of my drive into the shape of the European Cup but it was not a success.

For me it all began with my mother's father one of ten orphaned brothers and sisters in Corporation Street workhouse finding in Aston Villa the momentum through sport to escape the dire poverty into which he was born and continues to this day though my son's children, the oldest of whom walking with me down Bevington Avenue to the Wigan game said "you know the three things I like best about being a Villa fan?"  "Tell me" I said.  "When I come to Villa I can shout and swear.   I can eat chips and I can wear my Villa shirt without people making fun of me."   Clever lad that but he is Damon's boy.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal