collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Match worn / player issue shirts  (Read 28933 times)

Offline The Villa Werewolf

• GM : 13.07.2015
Match worn / player issue shirts
« on: June 19, 2011, 10:57:40 AM »
Anyone else into collecting match-worn shirts?

I've got a few that I absolutely love. I'm not a big collector but I like to pick up the odd shirt just to bring down from the loft every now and then!

I tend to go for shirts which are unusual or unique in some way, here's the ones I have at the moment:

Villa change GK, 98/99

This gawdy purple and orange number from the 1998/99 season is a bit of a rarity as it was a back-up to the first choice navy blue shirt to be used in the event of a colour clash. No replicas were ever released to the public, so the only shirts that exist are the stocks that were prepared for the players.

This one belonged to Peter Enckelman who at that point was a promising young reserve, yet to enter the annals of infamy for the 'incident' against Blues in 2002!

Villa third, 2002/03

This shirt is genuinely one of the rarest Villa shirts ever produced, and most Villa fans probably don't even know it exists. The silver and navy colourway was used in the 2001-2002 season with the more familiar ntl: sponsor logo on the front. By 2002-2003, Villa had changed sponsor to MG Rover, and introduced an altogether more traditional white change strip. However, Premier League rules dictate that each club has to designate a third kit in the event of a colour clash, so Diadora decided to slap the MG logo on a limited run of the previous season's away shirts.

Only four shirts were made in this style for each first team player - two short sleeved, two long sleeved. No replicas were released for sale to the public. This one was prepared for Ronny Johnsen.

Villa Home Change GK, 2003/04

This shirt is also noteworthy for its sponsor. The quirks of Villa's deal with MG Rover between 2002 and 2004 meant that home kits were branded with the Rover logo, and the away with MG. This goalkeepers shirt was technically the away shirt, and so replicas were only sold to the public bearing the MG logo. However, in match use, it would sometimes be paired with the home kit due to colour clash reasons. Sponsor logos had to be consistent throughout the team, thus this one was prepared with the Rover logo.

This one belonged to Thomas Sorensen.

Villa Home, 2003/04

Thomas Hitzlsperger, 03/04 - The only notable difference this shirt bears from a replica is the size of the lettering and numbering on the back, which was somewhat larger than that which was available to the public.

Impossible to know what games it was worn in, but I like to think it's the one he scored against Blues in. Bloody Stern John...

Villa Carling Cup Final 2010

This COULD have been the shirt that Stiliyan Petrov wore whilst lifting the Carling Cup in 2010. Sadly it's not because a) we fucking lost and b) this was left hanging on the peg in the Wembley dressing room.

Players generally have a couple of shirts prepared for each game, normally consisting of a choice between long and short sleeves. So, while Petrov donned his usual short sleeves to lead the Villa out onto the hallowed turf, this shirt was on hand if he wanted a change!

The main difference between this shirt and a replica is that the back is made of a lightweight mesh material which is more breathable for players whilst on the pitch, but perhaps a little too flimsy for everyday wear and tear. Other minor differences include no labels bearing washing instructions inside the shirt, and the lack of 'Dri-Fit' logo embroidery on the hem.

Villa away, 2010/11

My newest addition to the collection is this shirt belonging to Ciaran Clark. There's no particular story behind this one, but as I've got high hopes for him both at club level for Villa and with Ireland on the international scene, it was a shirt I quite wanted to have.

The differences on this shirt again include the lightweight mesh back and the lack of internal labels, whilst the FX Pro logo is screenprinted without the thick black outline present on the replica versions.

Villa Away (Televised Games) 1994/95

Saved for last is the pride and joy of my collection - this absolutely fantastic piece from the 1994/95 season.

Match-worn shirts from this time are unmistakable, with numbering actually cut from cloth and sewn onto the shirt, rather than the screen printed sameness we see on today's shirts.

It's the front of this shirt which really sets it apart as a huge rarity though.

With the advent of Sky televised games, Villa and their sponsors of the time, Muller, decided to fully leverage the added exposure by adding the word 'Yogurt' to the sponsor logo whenever a game was screened live. Therefore, these shirts are massively rare as they were produced in very limited quantities specifically for those occasions.

The Villa badge is fully embroidered, unlike replicas which bore a crest moulded from plastic, and, if that wasn't enough, it's signed by the entire team!

Now, I managed to pick this shirt up a few years ago for a ridiculously low price - about £20, I think. Basically, someone on eBay sold it without realising exactly what he had on his hands. The listing was simply titled 'Aston Villa shirt' with no product description, and you could only see the picture once you clicked through. Most people would have skipped it. For some reason, I clicked, couldn't believe what I saw, and bid. And lo and behold, I got away with it! I've not seen a single one of the 'Muller Yogurt' shirts for sale before or since.

When I was unemployed a couple of years ago, I briefly put it up for sale to raise some cash. I was offered over £400 for it, but this wasn't quite as high as I wanted so I turned it down. Now I'm back in work, I'm really glad I didn't sell.

Anyone else got any to share?

Offline bob

Re: Match worn / player issue shirts
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 11:09:28 AM »
No, but great post, was an interesting read.

Offline j66acd

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 11:20:58 AM »
The green, black and red striped shirt is my favourite. Got myself one a couple of months back. I think the website is classicfootballshirts.com or something like that. Loads of old villa shirts on there.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 12:07:38 PM »
Well Mr. Werewolf, I think we can safely file you under "slightly sad", but you'll be in good company!

Offline KRS

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 12:43:01 PM »
Great thread in times of turbulence!

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 12:51:16 PM »
:ninja:

Don't want to topic steal VW, but if anyone knows where I can get this with Yorke 10 on the back I'd be very happy

Need a M really. Any other mid 90's Yorke shirts I'm after too!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:53:50 PM by Legion »

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 12:53:23 PM »
I'm impressed.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 01:52:09 PM »
I had Bruce Riochs shirt which he wore for the 1971 league cup final against Spurs.
He gave it to my dad and he handed it onto to me.
Impressed ? You wont be when I tell you I am now unable to find it. It seems to have gone missing following a house move, along with the Atheltico Madrid shirt I bought when we played over there a few years back.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 03:16:27 PM »
What a fantastic post.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 03:18:45 PM »
Which of our ex goalies did you use the phrase ''enter the annals of infamy'' about again?  ;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:21:04 PM by Lucky Eddie »

Offline The Villa Werewolf

• GM : 13.07.2015
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 06:17:05 PM »
I had Bruce Riochs shirt which he wore for the 1971 league cup final against Spurs.
Impressed ? You wont be when I tell you I am now unable to find it. It seems to have gone missing following a house move, along with the Atheltico Madrid shirt I bought when we played over there a few years back.

I know how it feels - my first ever match worn shirt is no longer with me.

When I was 11, Mark Bosnich was my ultimate Villa hero. I popped down to the kit room sale in 1995, and managed to persuade mom and dad to part with the £30 to get one of his shirts. Like the Staunton shirt above, it was beautiful - numbers stitched on, embroidered badge, absolutely fantastic.

At 18, eBay was in its infancy, and I sold it for about £300. Not a bad price obviously, and an untold amount of money for me as a sixth former as I was then. In hindsight, though, I really, really bloody wish I hadn't sold it.

Offline Saunders9

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 07:41:26 PM »
:ninja:

Don't want to topic steal VW, but if anyone knows where I can get this with Yorke 10 on the back I'd be very happy

Need a M really. Any other mid 90's Yorke shirts I'm after too!

Here's what ur after, even the right size:

http://www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk/premiership-clubs/aston-villa/1996-97-aston-villa-away-shirt-yorke-10-m.html

Offline mal

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 07:49:43 PM »

I have a substantial collection numbering 67 shirts. I would probably cut my hand off for that '71 shirt - great shirt and Rioch was my boyhood Villa hero. My favourites are a 1977 league cup final shirt, a 1982 white pinstripe away shirt with 9 on the back, and a 1995-6 home shirt with McGrath 5 on the back.
If anyone has a 1990 home shirt or a yellow 1993 away they don't want please PM me.
also JJ-AV may be interested in this:
http://tinyurl.com/6c9utsc
or even this
http://tinyurl.com/66kbzu3

Offline sidcowans10

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 08:14:22 PM »
Great post ! I never knew about the muller yoghurt. I had a Julian Joachim one but lost it somehow.
I have bought quite a few villa shirts off eBay in the last few years, some go really cheaply. I really want the hummel ones and the Henson one from the 80 s but they go for silly money really.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 08:42:17 PM »
Top post.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal