collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Gidman - Legend  (Read 10960 times)

Offline Diablo

Re: John Gidman - Legend
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 06:22:35 PM »
Just listened to his interview, does anyone know which problem he is referring to, that still needs sorting out, re the players and Houllier?

Offline charlie659

• Brian Little walks on water - FACT
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 06:29:08 PM »
One of many great players from that 75-82 era criminally overlooked/under-utilised by England - along with sir Dennis, sir Brian, Sid, Tony Morley et al.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 06:34:19 PM »
http://www.football-england.com/john_gidman.html

Came across this (as I was trying to find out which England manager gave him his England cap?) It's quite interesting and it gives you the chance to rate him - it seems a lot of other people rated him highly too :-)

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 07:35:49 AM »
Giddy was a real hero of mine as a kid and he was one of the first flamboyant players we had in my childhood. He was marvellous when roaring down the right wing towards the Holte and swinging over crosses or taking potshots.

Giddy came from that school of fullbacks who were converted wingers, a la Terry Cooper of Leeds. Truth be told he was better going forward than defending, and was taken to the cleaners a few times, especially by old Twinkletum, John Robertson. As somebody above has commented, the much underrated Frank Carrodus gave Giddy fantastic suport and cover. That didn't diminish my love for him, though I reckon Kenny Swain was a better overall right back.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 08:14:05 AM »
Nice to hear Giddy talk highly of the club.Was a absolute disgrace how he and Brian Little only played once for England.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 08:31:54 AM »
Nice to hear Giddy talk highly of the club.Was a absolute disgrace how he and Brian Little only played once for England.

I remember talking about this with someone years ago.  He was of the opinion that because Villa had been shit for most of the sixties and by the early 70s were in Division 3, the likes of Revie and Greenwood who were club managers at the time would have formed a negative perception of anyone who played for us.  Even by the time we were re-established in the First Division, there was perhaps a lingering sense in the back of their mind that the likes of Little and Gidman had been brought through by a lower-league club, so were they actually that good?  The modern day equivalent would be Capello being dubious about picking a talented player simply because they came up through the academy and now play for the first team at, for example, Stoke.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 08:40:38 AM »
Fantastic player with the twin attributes of speed and great strength.   When he went on a charge down the line they used to bounce off him.

Afraid I do not share your enthusiasm for McLeish though David.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 08:53:09 AM »
Very good player in his time I wish we had another John Gidman playing for us today.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 10:08:35 AM »
Best RB for me too. Kenny Swain and Colin Gibson were both good, speedy winger-fullbacks, but Giddy was the stand out one.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 10:15:14 AM »
http://www.football-england.com/john_gidman.html

Came across this (as I was trying to find out which England manager gave him his England cap?) It's quite interesting and it gives you the chance to rate him - it seems a lot of other people rated him highly too :-)

Wasn't Robson left back or am I back in Alzheimers land again? I thought they both played when we beat Liverpool 5-1 and I'm sure Poo scored first. I do remember we should have had a few more in the second half, one hit the bar and one off the line so I must have some memory cells left.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 11:04:19 AM »
Gidman was the best right back I've seen in a Villa shirt. Fantastic going forward and underrated defensively.
He was outstanding in his one and only England game, descibed by then manager Don Revie as the best England debut since Duncan Edwards. It was scandalous that he never got another cap.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 11:08:18 AM »
I can remember  John Robson  playing both right back and left back and a spell in midfield. As for the Liverpool match not 100% sure but i think it was 5-0 at half time. I know we scored our goals at the Witton End as i was in there.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 11:11:27 AM »
I can remember  John Robson  playing both right back and left back and a spell in midfield. As for the Liverpool match not 100% sure but i think it was 5-0 at half time. I know we scored our goals at the Witton End as i was in there.

Yes, all the Villa goals were scored at the Witton End in the first half. It was 5-1 though.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 11:19:20 AM »
Who gave him his one England cap was it Revie or Greenwood?

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2011, 11:20:07 AM »
Who gave him his one England cap was it Revie or Greenwood?

Revie.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal