collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Baldy
[Today at 08:13:40 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Risso
[Today at 08:11:32 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by Baldy
[Today at 08:02:49 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by KNVillan
[Today at 07:58:57 AM]

Liverpool by johnc
[Today at 07:48:11 AM]

MOTD by ChicagoLion
[Today at 07:34:31 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:52:31 AM]

Kaine Kesler Hayden by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:49:43 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Cahill - revisited  (Read 5746 times)

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
Re: Cahill - revisited
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 04:15:33 PM »
I thought  at the time that selling Cahill was a big mistake, but the rights and wrongs of it are very much in the past.

In truth Liam Ridgewell has turned out to be a more effective defender than some of the planks we lashed money out on.

Where we are now, i.e. looking for defensive upgrades in just about every position, I don't think Cahill's price represents value for money. For  the 15-20 mill Bolton want, I'd expect the next Vidic. As good as he is, Cahill is not that level.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 04:20:26 PM »
I think our defence needs a new right back and a keeper. Cuellar, Collins, Dunne and Clark have all shown themselves very capable at times, and we could save a fortune by working with them to get them into a unit. I like Luke Young at left back too, plus Warnock being coaxed back into being a footballer would be interesting.

Offline KRS

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 04:32:32 PM »
For  the 15-20 mill Bolton want, I'd expect the next Vidic. As good as he is, Cahill is not that level.
Liverpool paying over the odds for young English talent doesnt help things.
If Henderson is worth £16m then Cahill is at least equal to that.
I'm sure part of AMs task will be to get players like Warnock and Ireland back on board.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 04:40:56 PM »
He is not that good and that is why he plays for Bolton and despite his agent trying to talk him up in the press over the last two seasons he still plays for Bolton.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 04:44:28 PM »
For  the 15-20 mill Bolton want, I'd expect the next Vidic. As good as he is, Cahill is not that level.
Liverpool paying over the odds for young English talent doesnt help things.
If Henderson is worth £16m then Cahill is at least equal to that.
I'm sure part of AMs task will be to get players like Warnock and Ireland back on board.

I can see Bolton's logic for setting the price, and I'd hope that we do the same for wantaway English players. I just think that from our point of view there must be a better deal elsewhere.

With the players we already have, we don't need to worry about making up our complement of Association/Club reared players in the same way that others have to.

Offline Guy M

• Location: Maidenhead - less than an hour from Zeitgeist on a good day!
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 05:46:29 PM »
O'Neill not to blame - Cahill

Bolton's Gary Cahill has refused to blame Martin O'Neill for his decision to leave Villa but conceded the boss might have got it wrong.

Cahill is back in the England squad after Man City's Joleon Lescott pulled out but he needed to quit Villa Park for the Trotters in order to kick-start his career.
And while Cahill and Villa have both prospered since his departure in the summer of 2008, the 23-year-old has revealed he was not forced out the door either.
On O'Neill's failure to persuade him to stay, Cahill told the Birmingham Mail: "He is a great manager and you would maybe have to ask him that question. But everybody makes mistakes sometimes."
The defender added: "There are no hard feelings between me and him. Maybe if I had bided my time there a bit longer it might have been different.
"He never for one minute pushed me out of the door. It was just a decision I made to go because he couldn't guarantee me playing week in, week out which is what I needed to do."

Never let the truth get in the way of a good bash of an ex-manager you don't like.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 05:48:08 PM by Guy M »

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 05:50:50 PM »

If i remember correctly he wanted a 1st team place, and at the time a certain Mr Laursen was in his way.

Now in my eyes, however good Cahill gets, and for me hes not as good as a lot of people on here seem to think, he will never be as good as Martin Laursen was.

If i was Bolton and someone offered me £15m then i would snatch their hands off.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 05:51:37 PM »
Theres talk of a £15m (?) buy out clause in Cahills contract.

Surely if he was that good he'd also be at a bigger club. Arsenal & Spurs both were desperate for a centre half last season & yet he's still at Bolton.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 05:53:11 PM »
Do we have a sell on clause for Cahill, does anyone know?

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 05:53:44 PM »
Knowing MON, we're probably still paying his wages.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 07:24:24 PM »
O'Neill not to blame - Cahill

Bolton's Gary Cahill has refused to blame Martin O'Neill for his decision to leave Villa but conceded the boss might have got it wrong.

Cahill is back in the England squad after Man City's Joleon Lescott pulled out but he needed to quit Villa Park for the Trotters in order to kick-start his career.
And while Cahill and Villa have both prospered since his departure in the summer of 2008, the 23-year-old has revealed he was not forced out the door either.
On O'Neill's failure to persuade him to stay, Cahill told the Birmingham Mail: "He is a great manager and you would maybe have to ask him that question. But everybody makes mistakes sometimes."
The defender added: "There are no hard feelings between me and him. Maybe if I had bided my time there a bit longer it might have been different.
"He never for one minute pushed me out of the door. It was just a decision I made to go because he couldn't guarantee me playing week in, week out which is what I needed to do."

Never let the truth get in the way of a good bash of an ex-manager you don't like.

In fairness it was MON's complete passive attitude to fringe members of the squad - not playing them, not likely to play them, but happy enough for them to be around in training, that must have been pretty frustrating for the likes of Cahill, Sidwell, Harewood, Shorey, Gardner etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal