collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Poll: Who should be Aston Villa Assistant Manager?  (Read 24061 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Poll: Who should be Aston Villa Assistant Manager?
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2011, 11:26:26 PM »
For all the grandstanding that goes on here about "OMG, I couldn't possibly live without Villa!!!" or "if i lived in the UK, I'd be there every day of the week, not just matchdays", the reality is that it is surprisingly easy to stop bothering when you've got other stuff to think about.

I wasted years of my life in the 80s and early 90s following Villa all over the place, then went and lived abroad for three years, so had little chance to watch us (pre web, pre satellite tv), then came back to the midlands and carried on not bothering at all for a few years longer. It was probably a hiatus of about 8 years or so when I got to about 3 matches at most.

Did it bother me at the time? No. Because I had other things to worry about / fill my time. That's life, it doesn't revolve around football. Does it make me any less of a fan? No, i don't think it does.

I don't like the "you're not allowed that opinion because you don't go very often" line because it is sneery and dismissive and there are probably lots of other people who could easily get to matches but don't bother, yet they don't seem to get the stick some posters do.

If you accept that's ok, then by the same stretch, next time you come back from the match to find someone on here who hasn't been to the match telling you what it is like - because they live in Timbuktu, or wherever, for whatever reason- you should feel comfortable in telling them their opinions don't count either, because they weren't there any more than the bloke who lives round the corner and spent the afternoon watching back to back repeats of Come Dine With Me.

By the same stretch, though, I also don't understand why anyone thinks anyone else should organise their whole life around Villa. The people who usually spend most time telling us how they organise their holidays around the league proramme, or they've called their firstborn Pongo McGregor McGrath or they're getting married and they're wearing claret and blue are the ones who seem to think they've got something to prove.

It really is just a sport, and while we all get really wound up by it, organising your whole life around it is a bit mental to say the least.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2011, 11:27:45 PM »
greg, keep this up. Between Rory crushing the US Open field and you're posts I'm really having a top end to my weekend.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2011, 11:36:04 PM »
Paulie my take is pretty much the same. what gets pretty tedious on here are those that choose to take the sycophantic banner and acuse those that dont agree with it as being somehow out of step and the usual culprits jumping on the bandwagon.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2011, 11:37:05 PM »
i'm sorry toronto, i really have nowt against you at all. Until your unprovoked dig at me earlier i  tended to agree with a lot you say on here. It seems you can give it out but can't take it back, but no hard feelings eh.

Offline Rodders

• GM : 30.08.2024
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2011, 11:41:31 PM »
Martin, Martin Laursen.

Martin Laursen

There's only one Martin Laursen,one Martin Laursen,
he plays at the back but he's great in attack,
walking in a Laursen wonderland.

A little song I picked up at Villa Park.

(tinhat/handbag/facepalm/meh/you/no you etc)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2011, 11:43:31 PM »
If you accept that's ok, then by the same stretch, next time you come back from the match to find someone on here who hasn't been to the match telling you what it is like - because they live in Timbuktu, or wherever, for whatever reason- you should feel comfortable in telling them their opinions don't count either, because they weren't there any more than the bloke who lives round the corner and spent the afternoon watching back to back repeats of Come Dine With Me.

This is the bit I struggle with, I lend more weight to the opinions of those who get down the match more than I do those that dont, where am I going wrong?

I wont be going every game next season, I really wont have any problem at all with the club giving more weight to the views of season ticket holders.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2011, 11:46:20 PM »

This is the bit I struggle with, I lend more weight to the opinions of those who get down the match more than I do those that dont, where am I going wrong?

The point I was trying to make (badly) was that if you're going to start saying "what the fuck do you know, you weren't there, and you only live round the corner" to one supporter, then you should also be able to say "what the fuck do you know, you weren't there" to the supporter who lives in Timbuktu. Whatever his reasons - and he shouldn't have to explain those reasons.

In other words, laying into people because they don't go is wrong - across the board, not just in the case of people it seems ok to use as a stick to beat with.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2011, 11:46:57 PM »
Would love Laursen. But this really is Mcleish`s choice .....

Offline Rodders

• GM : 30.08.2024

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2011, 12:06:26 AM »
i'm sorry toronto, i really have nowt against you at all. Until your unprovoked dig at me earlier i  tended to agree with a lot you say on here. It seems you can give it out but can't take it back, but no hard feelings eh.
well said

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2011, 01:44:50 AM »

no hard feelings at all greg

I'll just get back to mail order Marmite

I'm K I D D I N G....Come on greg. Let's get behind the manager and team this year

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2011, 02:45:08 AM »

no hard feelings at all greg

I'll just get back to mail order Marmite

I'm K I D D I N G....Come on greg. Let's get behind the manager and team this year

By 'getting behin them' do you mean purchase a match ticket if you've got a spare twenty notes and you're within a reasonable bus ride of B6?

?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2011, 09:24:21 AM »
For all the grandstanding that goes on here about "OMG, I couldn't possibly live without Villa!!!" or "if i lived in the UK, I'd be there every day of the week, not just matchdays", the reality is that it is surprisingly easy to stop bothering when you've got other stuff to think about.

I wasted years of my life in the 80s and early 90s following Villa all over the place, then went and lived abroad for three years, so had little chance to watch us (pre web, pre satellite tv), then came back to the midlands and carried on not bothering at all for a few years longer. It was probably a hiatus of about 8 years or so when I got to about 3 matches at most.

Did it bother me at the time? No. Because I had other things to worry about / fill my time. That's life, it doesn't revolve around football. Does it make me any less of a fan? No, i don't think it does.

I don't like the "you're not allowed that opinion because you don't go very often" line because it is sneery and dismissive and there are probably lots of other people who could easily get to matches but don't bother, yet they don't seem to get the stick some posters do.

By the same stretch, though, I also don't understand why anyone thinks anyone else should organise their whole life around Villa. The people who usually spend most time telling us how they organise their holidays around the league proramme, or they've called their firstborn Pongo McGregor McGrath or they're getting married and they're wearing claret and blue are the ones who seem to think they've got something to prove.

It really is just a sport, and while we all get really wound up by it, organising your whole life around it is a bit mental to say the least.

I think it's quite admirable the effort that some people put into their passions in life. Those that commit 100% to something have a dedication that I cannot match and I'm not going to call them mental because of it. There are a great many people who gear there lives around being able to make the most of their hobbies and I don't see what is wrong with it if that's their choice.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2011, 10:10:21 AM »

no, you haven't touched a nerve. I'm just pointing out that you're talking utter bollocks.

Nashollocks. Look it up in the Scrabble dictionary.

Greglocks?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal