collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: x% Villa: Modric wants to leave Spurs  (Read 4859 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
x% Villa: Modric wants to leave Spurs
« on: June 18, 2011, 04:50:51 AM »
I've posted this for the obvious reasons because we've seen the same thing happen to us three years in a row. It's massively sad to see this happening in the game. As soon as Spurs dropped out of the CL, then the exodus begins. It almost makes you wonder is there any point whatsoever in trying to get in? If you get in, having cost you huge amounts just to get there, then you have to spend massively to see that you stay there. If you don't, as Spurs really didn't spend like crazy season, and you don't stay in, then you run the risk of your best players wanting out to a team that's established in the CL.

We've lost Barry, Milner and Young in the past 3 years. We're probably going to lose Downing, and who knows who will want out next. It's not just going to be us. Spurs fans will be thinking who's next? Bale, VDV, Defoe? I'd expect Bale to want out now at Spurs, so what chance the rest of us if a fashionable London team like Spurs that had a very good CL run can't hold to it's best players? Unlike Modric, at least Ash was respectful enough never to openly say he wanted to join Man U even if he did privately. I think it's funny he says he won't be asking for a transfer because it would be disrespectful, but goes and gives an interview instead basically saying he wants out.

Not that I care anything for Spurs, but the balance and competitiveness of the game is eroding very very fast indeed, if it hasn't already done so.

Luka Modric reveals he wants to leave Tottenham for Chelsea

The Guardian, Saturday 18 June 2011

Harry Redknapp described Chelsea's £22m bid for Luka Modric on Wednesday as 'ridiculous'. Luka Modric has told Tottenham Hotspur that they do not match his ambitions and admitted for the first time that he would like to join Chelsea.

Despite Tottenham rejecting a £22m bid from Roman Abramovich, the Chelsea owner, on Wednesday for the Croatia midfielder and Harry Redknapp, the manager, saying the 25-year-old is not for sale, Modric has broken rank to try to force his dream move through.

He said: "I would like to go to Chelsea. A lot of players would like to go there and play for Chelsea because it is one of the best clubs in the world, and so do I. I would like to play there. But we will see what will happen. Chelsea are a great club, they play in the Champions League every year, they have great players, they are ambitious and have an ambitious owner who wants to invest in the club and make it win the Champions League, the Premier League and other titles."They are going in a great direction and everything about the club is very good. They [Chelsea] are the only one who sent an offer and they are at the moment my first choice."

Although Modric is adamant he wants to leave he is hopeful his departure will not be acrimonious. "I don't want to fight and argue with Tottenham," he said. "I'll want to go in a good way, a friendly way so I can stay friends with them. I have spent three great years there and the fans are great, the club is great.

"I love them and they love me but that's the way it is and I have to think what is best for my career. But first I need to speak to the chairman [Daniel Levy] and see his view on everything. I don't know when that will be, but soon."

Modric admitted in interviews with the Daily Mail and Daily Telegraph that Tottenham's failure to qualify for the Champions League, which they played in last season, had caused him to look elsewhere."It's a short period [your career] and you want to fulfil your personal ambitions as a football player, win trophies, play Champions League football every year," he said .

"That is what I want. Last season it was the first time I had played in the Champions League and it was amazing. It's a great competition, the best in the world, and I would like to play in it again. I would like to play in it this year – it's going to be difficult to play without the Champions League."

Although Manchester United and Manchester City retain an interest in the playmaker, Modric appeared to rule out a move away from London. "I like the city, I want to stay in London. I am very happy here and so are my family," he said. "Spurs will always have a place in my heart [but] my experiences in the Champions League have left me with the desire for more."

Asked what might be the next move Modric said: "I need to talk with the chairman. I won't ask for a transfer, no. That would be disrespectful.

"I hope they can reach an agreement [with another club] that is satisfactory for everyone. I am on holiday [until 6 July], but I need to speak and to see if I can find a solution to this."

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
Re: x% Villa: Modric wants to leave Spurs
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 05:08:56 AM »
Its kind of good to know that its not just us it happens to.

Players seem able to justify it on the basis that its "their career", things "they want to achieve", "the chance to play Champions League football".

Never mind that we are paying the wages through attending and buying Sky. There is a moral collapse here. Loyalty to the club and fans means nothing any more. In fact most dont even see out their contracts.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 05:24:55 AM »
Luka Modric will at some point end up leaving but I thought Man Utd were favourites to sign him.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 05:29:43 AM »
It's a great shame and I sort of feel a bit sorry for Spurs fans.

Teams like us and Spurs seem just to be those middle-tier clubs who just give the best teams their best players.

There is no partity it seems, if something could be worked out that'd be great. Maybe we could go down the American route of players actually honouring their contracts? Once they're a free agent they can do what they like.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 05:32:21 AM »
I guarantee they won't receive the same negative headlines vis a vis selling club/ sell to buy and all the rest of it.

I get the general point TV, but I'm a very petty man. Petty and cruel. Any misfortune that comes Tottingham's way is fine by me.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 07:49:17 AM »
I had a row with my Liverpool supporting mate yesterday, he said we were a selling club now. I said it doesn't  matter who you support players always want to leave. This proves ny fact. Feel sorry for spurs? Fuck no

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 08:15:30 AM »
Disloyal w*nker. I really  do hate footballers and the way this system works these days however we  used it to get Bent so it's a dog eat dog world.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 08:18:58 AM »
I guarantee they won't receive the same negative headlines vis a vis selling club/ sell to buy and all the rest of it.

I agree and it really pisses me off.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 08:32:21 AM »

I agree and it really pisses me off.

They finished top 4last year and 5th this and got to the QF of the champions league. We have just appointed a relegated manager and lost our goalie and one if not our two best players. I think any independent commentator may very reasonably put Spuds in a more positive light than us.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 08:41:35 AM »
Most over rated player in the league IMO. 22million? Spurs should have bitten their hands off.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 08:42:07 AM »
shit happens
(see Barry,Tevez,Adebayor,Milner,Young,Cole,Lescott.........................)

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 03:04:21 PM »
shit happens
(see Barry,Tevez,Adebayor,Milner,Young,Cole,Lescott.........................)

Santa Cruz, Jordan Henderson, Valencia, Berbatov, Lampard....

Offline KRS

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 03:32:08 PM »
Candle face can be quoted as saying they will be a "selling club" if Modric goes to Chelski.
Cant see them keeping hold of him now he has stated he wants to leave.
I hope they are forced to sell and would piss myself laughing if Citeh come in over the top of Chelski!

Offline exigo

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 03:38:56 PM »
There's a simple solution. Make direct comments like this equivalent to a transfer request.

I've got no great issue with good players wanting to play on the biggest stages, but it's this 'I want to leave but I'm not putting in a transfer request' b*ll*cks that really riles.

Offline dl9

• It all began vs Eintracht Frankfurt......
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 03:45:59 PM »
No loyalty anymore in football. Kiss the badge one week and stick in a transfer request the day later.
The majority are all w*nkers, however I'll share with you a brief story of one such legend who clearly stands head and shoulders above the rest.

Cant remember the date, but the week end after Tayls had scored for us against Liverpool at home I saw him in town and asked him what it was like to score in front of a full Holte End. Immediately his eyes lit up, he went trhough the full move that led to the goal and even tried to pick out his mate in the stands as he celebrated.

Around the time we won the Carling Cup after 1994, I saw Kevin Richardson in town and asked him what it was like to beat Man Urinal, lift the trophy as I would be buzzing my head off! He said " Yeah, it was a good day, I'm off to Coventry soon though as the family's settled in the Midlands and they've made a good offer". I nearly kicked his scouse f*ckin face in.

Unfortunately the Richardsons far outweigh the Taylors in this world. What I wouldn't give to score the winning goal for Villa in any match. Not going to happen now, maybe in the next life..........

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal