collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Hates  (Read 12346 times)

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Hates
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2011, 08:11:06 AM »
I don't even hate Robbie Savage anymore. What's wrong with me?

That's because you are now an Astoon Fealla supporter! ( as I read from your signature)

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2011, 08:18:20 AM »
i hate the Tesco-bags

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2011, 08:29:13 AM »
I liked Gregory for the most part. I just wish he didn't have to be so vocal in the press.
Regarding the Cup Final, he made a huge mistake in taking the enjoyment out of it from the morning right through to kick off. In those days the FA Cup was still a romantic affair normally with the the Press on the bus and with the players, sing songs, terrible club songs etc. He chose not to play any part of it all and also the manor in which we played was so gutless.
I'm sure he regrets it now.

Collymore was supposed to be special. He so wasn't.
I got injured that summer so decided to join the South West Lions and travel up every home match, I was so excited to be part of it all for once in my life. I still look back and think what might have been that season. I think it was the worst start to a season we have ever had  (it felt like it). I'll never forget the drubbing Sutton gave out to us at home.

I don't think there is anyone really I hate in football though. It's quite a strong word really.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:15:21 AM by Ian J »

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2011, 08:40:45 AM »
As one who suffers from depression, I have sympathy for Collymore.
On your good days you soar on your bad days it's a struggle to just get out of bed, due to self doubt.
That is identical to his performances.
So hate, no.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2011, 08:50:27 AM »
Cant say i hated either really. Gregory as a lot of posters have said played really dull boring football but always gave the impression he had one of the best jobs in football and loved the Villa. He even paid out a fortune for a villa number plate,even if it was for show.As for Collymore,just a waste of space. Only players i can say i have hated are Steve Hodge ,Craig Gardner and Savo. I was one of the fans behind the goal  when Savo gobbed at us. i could never forgive a guy for that and think he was lucky to ever play for us again.

Online Rico

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2011, 08:56:21 AM »
I liked Gregory. Met him in thẹ Holte suite one night late after thẹ AGM. He was really sound and brought a round of drinks for us all. As for his football, yes at times it was less than exhilarating, but I also remember thẹ run in at the end of his first season. Brilliant! Shame about thẹ cup final though. I think we got stage fright. As for Collymore, well his depression probably explains his lack lustre performances, but I still remember thẹ Atletico Madrid game, brilliant goal! Shame that he couldn't have turned it on more. He's very articulate and always bigs up thẹ villa. Don't hate either though. Biggest hate figure: Bingo Billy Mcneil. He truly did know shit football!

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2011, 09:29:25 AM »
Funny you should mention Billy McNeill Rico.   I have been thinking about him a lot recently and the hard nosed no nonsense quality football we were told he was going to bring down from Scotland to Villa.   Became a hate figure.  Plus ca change and all that.

Offline KrisHacking

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2011, 10:05:45 AM »
Gregory was Ok but like our last few managers did not have any Tactical Nous!! Unable or willing to make a substitution to try and change the game, just the same as the two idiots O'leary and O'niel!!

And as for Collymore, he's just a Lazy Gobshite!!

Offline Rimmy Jimmer

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2011, 10:23:54 AM »
John Gregory was proud to be Aston Villa Manager and gave 100%. Ok so those cup matches did him no favours in the popularity stakes. As for Collymore the same could not be said. 7 million  at the time ......Interestingly though the Evening  Mail ran a survey on which striker to sign at the time and the fans voted massively in favour of Stan. I can also remember the fans not particularly overwhelmed hen Ron Saunders got the Villa job in 1974, just as now with Mcleish...........lets wait and see how it pans out...............

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2011, 10:27:06 AM »
I've read Gregory's book and he was genuinely honoured to be our manager, he loved it. It was a hell of a leap for him and overall he did well considering where he came from. Steve Stride suggested him to Doug and it was a shrewd move and that alone is why having someone with a bit of football and Vila know-how is a good idea to have on the board.

As for Collymore, he did'nt realise how good he was and did'nt really seem to care either, i'm sure he regrets it now because he could have been one of the best strikers in europe. He was, on his day that good.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal