collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Hates  (Read 12348 times)

Offline Greg N'Ash

Re: Hates
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 12:14:23 AM »
Gregory nearly bankrupted the club and bought loads of old players with no re-sale value on top wages, so GT and DOL spent their tenures buying bargain basement players. See MON

Collymore was/is a nutcase, cost us a fortune and was probably the only time i ever had any sympathy for gregory. See Ireland

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 12:14:57 AM »
I thought this was a general hate thing, I was going to say people who put those big plastic butterfly things on the front of their houses. Anything Villa connected I would go Blake, Hopkins, Turner, Hodge, O'Leary and Gardner. John and Stan don't really wind me up that much. Even the memory of Nigel Callaghan doesn't get my blood pressure up. Maybe it's because I used to fancy myself as a winger and I was crap and lazy too.

I've always questioned my dad on hopkins but he told my dad he should have played profesionally so my dad has clouded judgement! Hodge generates so much hate and it just seems the modern day footballer to me?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 12:19:22 AM »
I don't even hate Robbie Savage anymore. What's wrong with me?

Because he shafted the Bluenoses who worshipped
 him and made them hate him. That made us warm to him.
(People who bought this may also like 'how not to hate Alex mcLeish'  by the same author)

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 12:20:43 AM »
It seems I am in a minority but I really liked Gregory. Sure he played proper boring 352, but we were hard to beat (although we drew 0-0 a fair bit).

Collymore I just feel sorry for. 

Offline Slaphead

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 12:23:44 AM »
I loved Gregory, thought he done quite well and seemed a decent bloke.

Stan just gave up the moment he came to us and was very hated until he started being pro Villa in the media, before that 99% of the people here slated him.

Time heals

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 12:35:36 AM »
I wouldn't say I disliked either of them. The football under Gregory wasn't to my liking, and the 2000 FA Cup final is still the biggest disappointment of my 45 years or so a s fan. Not because we lost, but because we were so negative on such a big day. It was said that Gregory used to fine players if they shot from outside the box.
Collymore is one of those I prefer to just remember for the good days - and there were a few, but as others have said there should have been more. He had everything to have become a Villa legend, an all-time great - but lacked one of the most crucial attributes, desire. He just never made the most of what he had.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 12:43:25 AM »
One thing about Gregory - he always gave the impression that he regarded the Villa job as the best in football.

Offline ClarrieBlue

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 12:48:45 AM »
One thing about Gregory - he always gave the impression that he regarded the Villa job as the best in football.
Well he came from Wycombe and left Villa pretty much at the top of the PL to join Derby pretty much at the bottom. So it was up there. Didn't Derby stuff us 3 nil not long after though.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 12:49:49 AM »

Is that not a good thing though?

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 12:50:49 AM »
always loved the Gregory guitar...quality and creativity - what more can you ask for in a manager?

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 12:51:04 AM »
that's what i disliked about him. A few quotes in the press and he had the support eating out his hand and it was obviously fake. I see mcliesh is following his example.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 12:52:07 AM »

Is that not a good thing though?

It was great, and by all accounts he still thinks the same.

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 12:53:24 AM »
McL plays the guitar?

Offline villan1975

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 12:53:53 AM »
Dont understand hating either really to be honest.
Collymore was an enigma because he should have been Englands no.9 for many a year as he had absolutely everything as a footballer.
As for Gregory I always had the feeling he was a top quality manager with a touch of the barrow boy undercurrent such as Rednapp without quite the flare.
As Dave W said above though he really genuinely gave the impression it was the biggest job in football.

Offline ClarrieBlue

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 01:02:26 AM »
I remember topping the PL in about November with JG and there was some statistic about us having 9 or 10 outfield English players with Bossie in goal. I'd guess but might be wrong - Charles, Ugo, Southgate, Wright, Draper blah blah blah Merson. Dublin. Can't remember the others just now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal