collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by chrisw1
[Today at 03:32:08 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:08:36 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:04:08 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 02:54:38 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 02:33:46 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by chrisw1
[Today at 02:25:44 PM]

Diego Carlos by Demitri_C
[Today at 02:25:16 PM]

Pre-season 2024/25 by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:40:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Hates  (Read 12350 times)

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
Hates
« on: June 17, 2011, 11:40:16 PM »
I'm from the younger generation, only 19 so I hear a lot of hate for the likes of Gregory (took us to a cup final?) And Collymore. I never understand it because I alway thought they were good. What are the reasons for this? And others for that matter, educate me please?!

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Re: Hates
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 11:43:05 PM »
Gregory played shit football and his team put in a total non-performance in a game we've all forgotten.

Stan put in a load of couldn't be arsed performances and generally behaved like an arse.

Offline Irreverent ad

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 11:44:03 PM »
Gregory was good.

Collymore did not perform. Most of the anger is directed because he had the chance to play for his boyhood club (for a very large fee and expectation) and blew it. He scored very few goals, went through depression (I was at that Fulham cup game) and brought a media circus with him eg Ulrike.

Cannot fault him as a fan though.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 11:45:09 PM »
Collymore came to the club professing his love for it, then rarely showed any fight for the cause before calling in sick. Makes me laugh when I here him banging on about the present day footballers, he was a joke. Total tosser IMHO

Gregory was a decent player, versatile and played every number from 2-11 if I recall correctly. Did well as manager but then got a bit above himself. 

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 11:46:59 PM »
I don't think many of us hate Gregory. His style of football was a bit dull but he had some successes, the non-performance in the Cup Final was a heart-breaker but I don't hate him.

Stan Collymore was a waste. Undoubtedly massively talented, he generally gave the impression of one who couldn't be arsed. This may well have been due to depression which, even ten years ago, was considered to be something that a "real man" wouldn't suffer from and so Stan found little sympathy from some, especially the afforementioned Mr Gregory. He turned in the odd excellent performance, but far too few for the record signing we thought might change us from "very good" to "Champions". The most dislikable thing about him was hitting his girlfriend. Unforgivable. I still don't hate him though.

Struggling to think of too many hate figures. I used to hate Dwight Yorke but I've changed my mind over time. Alpay I found amusing as a "panto villain" and Hodge was before my time. Stephen Ireland is the best I can come up with. He really is a bell-end.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 11:47:03 PM »
Gregory played shit football and his team put in a total non-performance in a game we've all forgotten.

Stan put in a load of couldn't be arsed performances and generally behaved like an arse.

seem to recall for a while people thought our name had changed to Aston Villa Nil under Gregory. Though he did make us tough to beat while boring the shit out of us. He never understood Collymore, and Collymore had his numerous issues off the pitch. Apparently hitting Ulrika before getting battered himself wasn't a good move on his part. Gregory won't go down as the best or worst Villa manager ever. Collymore might go down as the most talented player never to show it in a Villa kit.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 11:48:25 PM »

seem to recall for a while people thought our name had changed to Aston Villa Nil under Gregory. Though he did make us tough to beat while boring the shit out of us. He never understood Collymore, and Collymore had his numerous issues off the pitch. Apparently hitting Ulrika before getting battered himself wasn't a good move on his part. Gregory won't go down as the best or worst Villa manager ever. Collymore might go down as the most talented player never to show it in a Villa kit.

No he won't, because he did show it a fair few times. Not nearly enough, but just saying.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 11:51:32 PM »

No he won't, because he did show it a fair few times. Not nearly enough, but just saying.

for what we paid at the time, the huge level of expectation, some of the great highs from his career at other clubs at the time of his arrival, being a Villa fan, for me he didn't give back anywhere near enough. Maybe "never" is harsh, but if I said he hardly ever showed his true potential, I'd defend my position.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 11:51:57 PM »
Fair enough.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 11:59:48 PM »
Ok hates a strong word. But i was at the cup final (don't remember much about the actual game!) But I've spoke to a lot of people with massive dislike to him
Stan just seems wasted potential? But the hate from some is as if he kissed the birmingham badge!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 12:07:07 AM »
I thought this was a general hate thing, I was going to say people who put those big plastic butterfly things on the front of their houses. Anything Villa connected I would go Blake, Hopkins, Turner, Hodge, O'Leary and Gardner. John and Stan don't really wind me up that much. Even the memory of Nigel Callaghan doesn't get my blood pressure up. Maybe it's because I used to fancy myself as a winger and I was crap and lazy too.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 12:09:22 AM »
People who play music out loud on public transport. They've already got their own thread though. Bastards.

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 12:11:08 AM »
Why is it that Collymore is allowed into VP as a pundit for every game? Is he paying back the £20m on a 25 year plan?

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 12:11:57 AM »
Collymore could have and should have been one of the best centre forwards we ever had, he had everything in terms of talent, physique and speed. He must live his life thinking what might have been.
Gregory as a manager bottled it, too many off field problems, believed all the hype and turned into a caricature. I dont hate either of them. Just sad.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 12:13:03 AM »
I don't even hate Robbie Savage anymore. What's wrong with me?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal