collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: which current players should stay?  (Read 6693 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
which current players should stay?
« on: June 17, 2011, 02:33:18 PM »
Now that Fergie has recommended a top manager to us, I guess its time to move on.

From our current squad of players - who do keep or who do we consider offers for

Guzan - I thought was out of contract. Nowhere near good enough. Get rid.

L Young - another I thought was out of contract. injury prone a bit at this stage of his career but played decent enough towards end of season. Id consider letting go.

Beye - once a very good right back for Newcastle. At 33, we might aswell payup and take a loss.

Dunne - Showed up in a disgraceful condition last season but imo once he got back in the side was our best defender. Has had injury problems and probably wont have too many years left at the top. Might get one last good season especially with Euro 2014 hopefully on the horizon for him. Id consider offers. Worth considering that with McLeish's 4-6-0 formation the likes of Dunne wont be exposed as much next season.

Collins - worse than Dunne last season in terms of performances. Younger though and as a result might be worth persevering though. Depends which James Collins shows up really, the one that was excellent in his first season or the joke player of last season.

Cuellar - quicker than the other two but not the oracle some on here think he is. Has never done enough to say he should be first choice centre back at AVFC but might get a chance now. Id say keep.

Clark - if we are linked with Dann then it wont look good for Clark as a centre back. Really good player on the ball but has no recovery speed which is a worry for a centre half. Which is why I think he will play a good bit in midfield this season.

Warnock - i'll be honest I never rated him at Blackburn but he did alright for MON initially. We still have a hole at left back. Thought he was disgraceful last season but unless someone comes in with 3m then we should consider a last chance.

Makoun - good game at Old Trafford but didnt settle initially. Hard to know what kind of midfielder he is. Good on the ball but seemingly with no presence. Anyway a good pre season under his belt will hopefully see the best out of him.

Petrov - a voice of reason in the dressing room which is why I think he will be kept by McLeish. But he isnt an option in a 442 anymore and for his wages I think we should be aiming to replace him.

Delph - huge season for him. Shit or bust time really.

Bannan - will find it hard to get game time under McLeish I reckon. A tidy footballer but not an option in a 442 anyway. Hopefully can be kept on as a squad option at a minimum and given games particularly at home.

Downing - euro 2014 will hopefully see him trying to impress. will definitely want out after McLeish coming in though.

Young - is defo off anyway. Best of luck ash.

Albrighton - fine season that tailed off. Still a fine crosser of the ball but will need to find more tricks for next season and hopefully be a bit more disciplined and stronger too.

Ireland - If McLeish gets him playing like he did 3 years ago then he will be halfway to getting Villa Park on side. Who knows

Bent - keep him fit and he will score. ashley young will be a loss though. We defo need to bring someone in creative.

Gabby - last season was a nightmare for him. if he comes back lighter and with a better attitude then he has a great chance. But cant see him being much use partnering Bent.

Heskey - can only hope McLeish gets rid. Cant see too many offers forthcoming though.

Fonz - I think the lad has something. He can score and might even be a more natural partner for Bent than Gabby. But can look lost at times too.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
Re: which current players should stay?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 04:03:11 PM »
At the moment i would keep all of them as we have already lost around 12 from last season

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 04:10:30 PM »
Whichever ones Alex wants to keep.

I might not want Dunne, Warnock and Ireland to stay but if the manager feels he can get them delivering to a level they have done in the past then fine by me.

The question is whether some players like Cuellar, Downing and others want to stay.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 04:12:52 PM »
Although Beye and Ireland would have to learn how to play something approaching football to stay on the books for me since the last time they pulled on the C&B.  Why are we sure that Downing wants to leave now McLeish is in? 

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 04:19:36 PM »
Looking at that list, and the squad definitely seems a bit thin. The whole situation is starting to feel like Summer 2006 again.

Five years on it seems that all we have gained is better catering, and a redecorated pub. And 2 weeks ago I regarded myself as one of the happy clappy brigade.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 04:29:44 PM »
At the moment i would keep all of them as we have already lost around 12 from last season

The only ones we've lost who I'd have liked to hold onto are Friedel and NRC. Most of the others were nowhere near the squad - Carew and Pires - ok. But then Salifou and Osbourne  were the only ones I'd heard of amongst Berry, Deeny, Flanagan, Forrester and Halfhuid. Not exactly a big dent in the first team.

Offline Smoke

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 04:41:30 PM »
Honestly, I'd keep everyone apart from Heskey and Beye. All others have a part to play.

Having said that I have a sneeking suspicion that Heskey could be a very good CB in his advancing years.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 05:08:05 PM »
Having said that I have a sneeking suspicion that Heskey could be a very good CB in his advancing years

He'd be no good, someone would lean into him and he'd fall on his arse

Offline Smoke

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 05:10:58 PM »
Having said that I have a sneeking suspicion that Heskey could be a very good CB in his advancing years

He'd be no good, someone would lean into him and he'd fall on his arse

Oh, Ok. I'll just go Fuck myself.  ;)

Offline Sir Paul Merson

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 05:19:44 PM »
Keep Heskey get rid of Dunne play Heskey at the back what a superb centre half he would make, if he can batter forwards like he can referees we are on a winner

Offline Sir Paul Merson

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 05:21:41 PM »
gabby wont play for a ex bluenose sell him and buy camaron doda from sty

Offline Vancouver

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 05:29:11 PM »
It looks like we are getting a little carried away because Dublin did ok at the back. Heskey won't tackle and hates getting knocked about.

As for the list, I would be happy to see NRC go. We have better players in Makoun and Delph. We do need a creative player in the middle or out wide though. Someone that can keep the ball. Downing is a good player but gives it away too easily. This is a great time for Bannan to make his mark. It looks like Adam is off to Liverpool but I would love to see him at VP. He gives the creativity thT Petrov first had

Offline Smoke

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 06:04:16 PM »
It looks like we are getting a little carried away because Dublin did ok at the back. Heskey won't tackle and hates getting knocked about.

As for the list, I would be happy to see NRC go. We have better players in Makoun and Delph. We do need a creative player in the middle or out wide though. Someone that can keep the ball. Downing is a good player but gives it away too easily. This is a great time for Bannan to make his mark. It looks like Adam is off to Liverpool but I would love to see him at VP. He gives the creativity thT Petrov first had

Keeping your finger on the pulse I see.

Did you know MON's left?

Offline Vancouver

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 06:41:25 PM »
Yeah it's on the pulse!! I should have said 'I am happy to see NRC go'. Better?

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 06:42:59 PM »
From our squad

Beye, Warnock, Heskey need to go. Ireland is up to the manager.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal