collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

Brian Evans by maidstonevillain
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Jacob Ramsey by AV84
[Today at 12:12:05 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 12:04:59 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 12:04:41 AM]

Matty Cash - Polish international by PeterWithe
[Today at 12:03:00 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:02:34 AM]

Press-ing on triumphantly by dave.woodhall
[April 18, 2024, 11:47:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Poll: Are you going to give Alex McLeish a chance to prove himself?  (Read 50081 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Alex McLeish is manager of Aston Villa. No more rumours, speculation etc. I'm glad it's out the way and we can get back to preparing for football as opposed to the distraction of searching for a new manager. Now that reality will sink in, and you start to accept he is our manager, what will your position be?

I'm disappointed at the selection, but I will give him a chance to build something. For me he will start with a clean slate. I hope all of his experiences will make him a better manager. I'll be interested to see who he has on his coahing staff, the players he brings in, lets go, gives second chances to, and kids he promotes. With better football players at his disposal, I want to see if he is capable of continuing the work of GH and having us play a better brand of football. I'm not going to go crazy after the first defeat.

I know many of you won't share this view and you are all entitled to whatever stand you take on this appointment. But he's one of us now, whether we like it or not. I'm going to hope he is a massive success as I have nothing personally against him. I don't want him sacked, because if he is, he has failed. I don't want Aston Villa to fail.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 01:31:48 PM by toronto villa »

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
Re: Are you going to give Alex McLeish a chance to prove himself?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 01:32:20 PM »
I don't see why we wouldn't give him a chance. He's manager of Villa now and that's all that matters

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

Re: Poll: Are you going to give Alex McLeish a chance to prove himself?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 01:33:14 PM »
What a stupid question. Anyone with any kind of common sense would give him a chance!

Offline DesBremner

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 01:34:09 PM »
I wonder if he will appear on the Tom Dross show tonight

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 01:35:36 PM »
What a stupid question. Anyone with any kind of common sense would give him a chance!

The question is how many people will not give him that chance.  We've got one already and it will be interesting to see if there are any more.  After all, the fans booed off MON's team at half time when they were losing on the first home game of the season.  What will they do to Mcleish's?

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 01:36:12 PM »
Of course I'll back him. Now he's here, he gets my full support until such time as he demonstrates his unsuitability for the job through his results and conduct as Aston Villa manager.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 01:37:50 PM »

That's just it. It isn't a stupid question given some of the anger shown against him leading up today, and even today. It should be a stupid question, but some people will turn on him with the first defeat predicting impending doom as early as August or September. I hope I am wrong, and people will be patient.

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 01:39:37 PM »
Well said Toronto...lets all calm down and give the man a chance.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 01:40:24 PM »
To be honest the reaction towards him has been staggeringly evil by some. I find it very odd and quite embarrassing. I agree it was a strange appointment but he has had some success and he must have some inner belief to come here during this unusual period.

All the best, go out there and prove the doubters wrong (me included) and ignore the mind boggling insults which he does not warrant.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 01:44:51 PM »

That's just it. It isn't a stupid question given some of the anger shown against him leading up today, and even today. It should be a stupid question, but some people will turn on him with the first defeat predicting impending doom as early as August or September. I hope I am wrong, and people will be patient.

I once read an academic paper that suggested the appropriate period for a PL manager's "honeymoon period" should be 8 games. If they didn't attain a certain level of performance after that you were as well to get rid.

How long are you going to give him?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 01:48:04 PM »
How long are you going to give him?

Depends how those 8 games go.  If I see signs that things are coming together then I may give him longer.  How about yourself?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 01:49:04 PM »
Yes of course, what's the alternative? I support Aston Villa, I want us to succeed and he's our manager.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 01:49:07 PM »
Of course I'll give him time.  I hope everybody else does as well.

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 01:53:50 PM »
Of course...I have nothing against him, he starts with a clean slate. It's the board who I'm angry with and if things go wrong I will want the likes of Faulkner gone, more than McLeish.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 01:58:01 PM »
Give him a chance!  All this discontent is hardly his fault. It counts in his favour that he's ambitious enough to come and is by all accounts a decent man-manager.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal