collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lerner reasoning re the Financial Fair Play rules .  (Read 36440 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Lerner reasoning re the Financial Fair Play rules .
« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2011, 10:49:29 AM »
Did you honestly think 4 weeks ago that our Board would so clueless and lacking in self-respect as to ask a rival manager for advice on appointing a manager? Nothing this board does now would surprise me.

And I'm not suggesting we told him exactly what our budget was, but if there's no truth in it, why did he say it? If he's so cosy with our board as to be asked for advice, why didn't he just say nothing about it?

Maybe it's because we told him what our search criteria were and one of them was 'managing on a tight budget'.

You're argument seems to be: The Board are clueless enough to ask a rival manager who to appoint but not clueless enough to tell him he'll be on a tight budget.

Personally, I'm glad they asked advice given the lack of football knowledge on the board.

My argument is that they would have known Fergie was set to go after Ash, so giving ANY indication of our budget would tip our hand.  It's of course possible that this deal was sealed ages ago and we spoke to him afterwards about the manager, but like everythign else that's just speculation, as is the simple idea that he's assuming what our plans are.  It's equally possible that when he said what he did, he was coming from the angle of us trying to competing with the likes of Man City and them with a lower budget, which could still be in the £20-£30m range.

And as I said, I'd class the Bent signing as being more indicative of our intent than a comment by the manager of another club.

So I'm still in the 'wait and see camp'!   

Offline mazrimsbruv

« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2011, 10:59:24 AM »
Did you honestly think 4 weeks ago that our Board would so clueless and lacking in self-respect as to ask a rival manager for advice on appointing a manager? Nothing this board does now would surprise me.

And I'm not suggesting we told him exactly what our budget was, but if there's no truth in it, why did he say it? If he's so cosy with our board as to be asked for advice, why didn't he just say nothing about it?

Maybe it's because we told him what our search criteria were and one of them was 'managing on a tight budget'.

You're argument seems to be: The Board are clueless enough to ask a rival manager who to appoint but not clueless enough to tell him he'll be on a tight budget.

Personally, I'm glad they asked advice given the lack of football knowledge on the board.

My argument is that they would have known Fergie was set to go after Ash, so giving ANY indication of our budget would tip our hand.  It's of course possible that this deal was sealed ages ago and we spoke to him afterwards about the manager, but like everythign else that's just speculation, as is the simple idea that he's assuming what our plans are.  It's equally possible that when he said what he did, he was coming from the angle of us trying to competing with the likes of Man City and them with a lower budget, which could still be in the £20-£30m range.

And as I said, I'd class the Bent signing as being more indicative of our intent than a comment by the manager of another club.

So I'm still in the 'wait and see camp'!   

We're all in that camp at the moment, John(!)

It's just that this appointment has made me doubt the Board for the first time ever, and to such a degree that I'm not sure of anything anymore.

I always believed that the Bent signing was a statement of intent that wrong-footed the Media, but now I'm afraid I think it almost as likely that it was a panic measure. That Lerner intended to use the Milner money to service the Club's debt and that he would not have sanctioned Bent's signing if we had been at or near the 40-point mark, come Jan 1st 2011.

As you said, we must wait and see but I will be less surprised than most, if the Ashley Young money isn't used to claw back Lerner's unexpected outlay on Bent.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:01:31 AM by mazrimsbruv »

Online nigel

« Reply #137 on: June 24, 2011, 11:53:59 AM »

Of course he would, Morinho has always been able to spend, spend, spend at whatever club he's been at.
There's no point in getting into arguments as 'tunnel vision' syndrome has already set in.
McLeish will never get a chance with some of you.
[/quote]

I honestly can't believe what you're saying. To suggest that Jose Mourinho could have taken charge of the same Blose team and still got relegated is effectively stating that Alex McLeish is as good a manager as Jose Mourinho. Utter nonsense!

As to your other argument, it's not me who won't be giving him a chance. As Gregnash alluded to on the 'fans meeting' thread, the people he has to win over are aged between 15 and 25, sit at the back of the Holte and, barring an outrageously good seaon, will never, ever accept him. More to the point, one slip up and they'll be trying to hound him out of B6 on the end of a pitchfork.

Tunnel vision? No.

Realism? Yes.
[/quote]

I didn't say that he was as good as Morinho, or that Morinho would have got relegated with the same team. If you read what I wrote it said 'even Morinho would struggle given that' I doubt he would have got into the top 2/3ds with that team

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2011, 11:13:26 PM »
Well Man City have apparantly sold naming rights to Eastlands for £100mil to Eithad Airlines so looks like they have found a way to keep spending.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2011, 01:04:49 AM »
Well Man City have apparantly sold naming rights to Eastlands for £100mil to Eithad Airlines so looks like they have found a way to keep spending.

I believe there is a clause in FFP that disregards commercial income that is above 'true value'. Not sure how they work out that value though. The clause is included to stop deals like this by-passing the new rules.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal