collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What would it take to get you back on side?  (Read 28752 times)

Offline Cjamesk

Re: What would it take to get you back on side?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 09:37:10 AM »
Good question really, As a fan I hope if / when he is appointed he does well obviously.

I'd like to see a good cup run and back to challenging the Top 6 or Sky 4, a lot to ask given our predicament at I just can't see the brand of football being entertaining with McLeish at the helm and nothing I've seen fills me with confidence.

But hey ho nothing surprises me with the Villa any more and I guess that's why I love supporting the Claret and Blue UTV!

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 09:37:54 AM »
Apologies aren't going to happen, and would serve no purpose anyway.

If they're going to make this appointment, then they are clearly going to face the consequences if it goes tits up as many seem to expect.

The flip side of that, though, is that we in turn have to hope for the best and support the team, which is what I suspect most of us will do. Then, when it does go to shit, we can say, with heavy heart, "well, don't say we didn't warn you..." confident in the feeling that we at least did our bit

Anything else and we're just adding to the problem.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 09:38:56 AM »
He starts with a clean slate for me so I'll judge everything on merit and not on what has happened in the past.

Sensible and is the only way to go.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 09:39:29 AM »
For me it's simple he improves on last seasons league placing and wins us the FA Cup. I'd also appreciate us battering Everton home and away as they're fans have really got my goat throughout this saga.

Surely AM saw the scenes at Villa Park on the tele and has read the press reports - the fact he still wants to be our manager suggests he is really hungry for it. This determination could work for us if we give him a chance - I'm prepared to wipe the slate clean and support him.

I've never had a problem with Randy before this but it will take a bit of time and something extrordinary for him to get back onside - free tickets for a home game?  ;)

Offline eastie

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 09:40:09 AM »
Give him a chance before judging him- that's all I ask.

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 09:41:59 AM »
If appointed, and I'm still waiting to be woken from this bad dream, I wil harbour no ill feelings towards McLeish. He is being offered a kind of job he must have never thought he would get after he got Birmingham relegated for a 2nd time. He will do his best and I will wish him all the luck.

However, I dont know if Randy's reputation can survive this appointment. Yes, he has done a lot of good for the club and invested money. But when times are good it's easy to be a good owner. The first error seems to have been Faulkner who seemed to 'rock the boat'. Then we had the fiasco that was the Houllier appointment (not forgetting the summer where we sold Milner for Ireland and a few quid and got no one else in).

He needed to get it right this time and has failed in spectacular fashion.

Never in the history of the Premier League will a manager take a job under so much pressure and with so much ill feeling towards him. We are like the new Newcastle.........sorry, I just took it too far!

Online ajmant

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 09:42:08 AM »
Clean slate for me too. Has to be - anything else will be counter productive.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 09:44:41 AM »
First things first, no players that we need out of the door.
Make a clear and concise statement to the press that the crown jewels of the club are going nowhere and you will at least start with a clean slate.

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 09:46:23 AM »
The most disappointing thing about appointing McLeish is not that he’s
a bad manager, he isn’t.  It’s not that he plays defensive football.
That’s not a crime. It’s not that he’s come from our closest
rivals. Who cares?

It’s that it lacks inspiration.  It sends out a signal that Villa
have accepted their place in autocratic meritocracy that is football as also-rans.
There simply to make up the numbers.

And that’s the nub of the protest we witnessed last night.  The euphoria
that greeted Randy’s take over has now gone.  And fans aspirations have
gone with it.   When you take football fans’ hopes and dreams away
there is nothing left.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 09:48:59 AM »
the fact he still wants to be our manager suggests he is really hungry for it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or just like the majority of managers and players - greedy

Online caster troy

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 09:52:13 AM »
the fact he still wants to be our manager suggests he is really hungry for it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or just like the majority of managers and players - greedy

Exactly, if it goes horribly wrong and he is sacked after 2 months he will get huge compensation. It's a win-win scenario. I don't really have a problem with Mcleish himself, he's hardly going to turn us down is he? It's Randy Lerner I have an issue with, his choice defies logic and reason.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 09:52:24 AM »
I think a few days in the stocks outside the Holte Suite having rotton fruit thrown at him to atone for previous jobs should about do it, then I'd want two tickets for the Brazilian National Mime Theatre at the Riverside Studios and a complete set of steak knives.

Then and only then, I'll reluctantly give him the first half of the opening game of the season before starting a 'McLeish Out' chant, or more likely tutting to my brother and fucking off down the King Edward.

Offline Cjamesk

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 09:52:53 AM »
The most disappointing thing about appointing McLeish is not that he’s
a bad manager, he isn’t.  It’s not that he plays defensive football.
That’s not a crime. It’s not that he’s come from our closest
rivals. Who cares?

It’s that it lacks inspiration.  It sends out a signal that Villa
have accepted their place in autocratic meritocracy that is football as also-rans.
There simply to make up the numbers.

And that’s the nub of the protest we witnessed last night.  The euphoria
that greeted Randy’s take over has now gone.  And fans aspirations have
gone with it.   When you take football fans’ hopes and dreams away
there is nothing left.

I said something very similar on the Generals thread (another forum before I joined here) to bread confidence you need inspiration and this imo has neither.

I'm still in shock that in 14 days all the good intentions between the board and the faithful have been thrown out of the window.

Offline Mark Samuels

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 09:55:20 AM »
I agree with everything Mac said above. Spot on. But we'll have to make the best of this new order. We have little choice. We are still Aston Villa.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 09:57:19 AM »
The ambition has gone for me.     

Let's hope he gets a good start , because If he doesn't , the crowds will quickly dip and the rot will set in ( just like Liverpool )   .    It's just a steady Eddie apointment for me who will sign Steady Eddies to keep us in the league . 

I'm very disapointed at the moment , when I was a season ticket holder and watched the dire football in the old second division with the likes of David Hunt etc , I just carried on , it was our club and no one was telling me any pretense.   When RL took over , I was seeing ambition and a future for us  , I had never felt so excited , it's just this morning my body has drained of it all..

I support Aston Villa.     Good luck to him  .   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal