collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What would it take to get you back on side?  (Read 28754 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: What would it take to get you back on side?
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2011, 11:04:12 PM »
Haven't read every post so apologies if i'm repeating anything.
Our new manager won shed loads of medals and caps as a player under Alex ferguson.
He took Motherwell to second place in the SPL.
He took over a Hibs side heading for relegation, brought them back up as champions then took them to a third place finish.
He won 2 titles and 5 cups in 5 years at Rangers at a time Celtic had more money.
He won 7 out of 10 games as manager of a limited Scotland side including some notable wins.
He took over a Blues side on the way down, brought them straight back up, took them to their highest position for about 50 years then won them their first meaningful trophy ever. He also then got them relegated although he did have an injury crisis.

I didn't want him mainly due to his relegations in England but he's our manager, he's obviously got some bottle (I don't buy the sugestion he's taking the job for a quick pay-off when it goes wrong) and I want the club to do well so he has my support. The fact that if he is a sucess with us it will stick in the throat of every Bluenose for eternity also appeals to me.

I am pleased you are looking on the positive side.  I hope you are not disappointed.

I see that you have listed all the successes.  It is all about reading between the lines, however.  If you spaced out each of your lines and filled in the gaps of what happened in the intervening years you would not have a quite so rosy picture.  I suggest you go back to Wikipedia and fill in the blanks.

By the way, Celtic didn't have more money for all of the time, only the later years.

If you are going to quote facts to demonstrate a view, it would have more credence if you didn't try and hide the negative aspects.

How come you haven't said tHe same about hiding the positive aspects to all the people banging on about relegation?

We've had a very one sided debate on here it's about time somebody added a bit of balance.

If you believed everything on here from the past few days, you'd think this bloke had never won a thing in his life, and the only thing he'd ever done is got teams relegated. He's worse than Billy McNeill, Dr.Jo, Paul Jewell and Phil Brown all rolled into one. It's very convenient for people to ignore the good when talking about the bad is much easier, and I'll concede the fact relegation just happened probably doesn't help.

There does need to be a sense of balance, and I think it is a shame that most people on here have no intent whatsoever in giving McLeish a chance. That they are already sharpening their knives waiting for the first defeat of the season. He's the manager of Aston Villa and people will be waiting for him to fail, rather than supporting him and hoping he succeeds. They can then shout from the rooftops how they knew this was going to happen. That's what's disappointing.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2011, 11:04:23 PM »
Best we can hope for is Mcleish sacked by Xmas! And keep our current group of players, especially downing.

Probably best if you don't bother coming again with that attitude. How can you say 'our' players when you want us to fail?

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2011, 11:06:33 PM »
I would say the best we can hope for is to be top of the league by Christmas.

I would say that is pushing hope a little too far.

« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2011, 11:12:50 PM »
Our new manager won shed loads of medals and caps as a player under Alex ferguson.
He took over a Hibs side heading for relegation, brought them back up as champions then took them to a third place finish.
He won 2 titles and 5 cups in 5 years at Rangers at a time Celtic had more money.
He won 7 out of 10 games as manager of a limited Scotland side including some notable wins.
He took over a Blues side on the way down, brought them straight back up, took them to their highest position for about 50 years then won them their first meaningful trophy ever. He also then got them relegated although he did have an injury crisis.

I didn't want him mainly due to his relegations in England but he's our manager, he's obviously got some bottle (I don't buy the sugestion he's taking the job for a quick pay-off when it goes wrong) and I want the club to do well so he has my support. The fact that if he is a sucess with us it will stick in the throat of every Bluenose for eternity also appeals to me.

I am pleased you are looking on the positive side.  I hope you are not disappointed.

I see that you have listed all the successes.  It is all about reading between the lines, however.  If you spaced out each of your lines and filled in the gaps of what happened in the intervening years you would not have a quite so rosy picture.  I suggest you go back to Wikipedia and fill in the blanks.

By the way, Celtic didn't have more money for all of the time, only the later years.

If you are going to quote facts to demonstrate a view, it would have more credence if you didn't try and hide the negative aspects.

How come you haven't said tHe same about hiding the positive aspects to all the people banging on about relegation?

We've had a very one sided debate on here it's about time somebody added a bit of balance.

Because there are only 24 hours in a day and the vote against has been of landslide proportions.

I totally agree with you about balancing the pros and cons so that people can make informed and fair comment.  It is this that has driven me mad for the last week or so with the media and likewise on here.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2011, 11:13:36 PM »

It's better than hoping for the manager to be sacked.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2011, 11:15:17 PM »
Play nice football and win more games than he loses will be a start. I don't want him as manager but it looks like he will be so time to hope i'm very very wrong and he's a success.

« Reply #126 on: June 16, 2011, 11:20:18 PM »

If you believed everything on here from the past few days, you'd think this bloke had never won a thing in his life, and the only thing he'd ever done is got teams relegated. He's worse than Billy McNeill, Dr.Jo, Paul Jewell and Phil Brown all rolled into one. It's very convenient for people to ignore the good when talking about the bad is much easier, and I'll concede the fact relegation just happened probably doesn't help.

There does need to be a sense of balance, and I think it is a shame that most people on here have no intent whatsoever in giving McLeish a chance. That they are already sharpening their knives waiting for the first defeat of the season. He's the manager of Aston Villa and people will be waiting for him to fail, rather than supporting him and hoping he succeeds. They can then shout from the rooftops how they knew this was going to happen. That's what's disappointing.

No, what will be disappointing will be if people are given the opportunity.  If AM is successful, there will be very few dissenting voices.

« Reply #127 on: June 16, 2011, 11:24:53 PM »

It's better than hoping for the manager to be sacked.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say i.e. hope = top 6, top of league = something akin to a miracle

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2011, 11:28:58 PM »
I'm already on-side, it's just that every now and again (well every 5 minutes) i shake my head in disbelief at the appointment.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2011, 11:30:35 PM »
I have never really been against the appointment, although I was as shocked as anyone that we couldn't find a more suitable candidate to take the job.  That said, Randy now needs to back McLeish to the hilt in the transfer market, including a Bent type marquee signing. McLeish has some work to do over the summer, the sooner he gets started, the better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal