collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What would it take to get you back on side?  (Read 28709 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
What would it take to get you back on side?
« on: June 16, 2011, 08:50:15 AM »
Simple question:- presuming this does happen what would it take for Randy and McLeish to get you behind them and show that things may not be as as as we expect?  This isn't as simple 'as sign loads of players' or 'win loads of games', although both will feature in mine below, but more the PR stuff that will get people thinking positively again.

Here's my three step guide:-
1.  Front up the fans.  The last thing they should do is hide away and limit themselves to press conferences and club statements.  In a past life I ran a call centre and when doing training I always said "If someone wants to complain - let them!"  They'll get angrier if you try to tell them they're wrong and it's therapeutic to be able to get it off your chest.  So arrange some kind of fans forum and have AM there to explain his ideas, what he plans to do and answer our questions and doubts.  This will show he's a strong and honourable man and start the him on the road to actually being liked.
2.  A big signing.  As much for ST sales as anything, lets have something to look forward to on opening day.  It would also mean us talking about a player we all rate and are delighted we have, which gets us talking positively about Villa again, regardless of who the manager is.  They could do a lot worse than bringing Jimmy Milner back in this regard.
3.  Win the first game.  Nothing gets fans happier than 3 points, IMO.  But this would also need to be a convincing win woth a few goals scored, which would start to dispel the expectation of dull defesnive football.  Obviously difficult and if we get Man Utd away unlikely to happen.

So that's it - front up the criticism, give us a new toy and deliver a good result.  Do that and the atmosphere will change for the better!   

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
Re: What would it take to get you back on side?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 08:57:55 AM »
my expectations are so fucking low now that avoiding relegation next season will be a result.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 09:00:57 AM »
I am on side. I hope he does very well. I can't see why any Villa fan would not want that. If it all goes well, this will be forgotten. The issue is partly that lots of us clearly think it is not going to go well, and partly that if it goes badly, we're going to hit the ground with a very large bump.

I don't think the fans have lost their enthusiasm, I think the problem is it looks as if the board are starting to lose theirs.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 09:01:53 AM »
Nothing works better than winning games.

Offline Brummie Bob

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:04:19 AM »
my expectations are so fucking low now that avoiding relegation next season will be a result.

Normally I would dismiss this sort of post as silly etc  but I have to be honest that's my feelings at the moment. Might be a good season then. If we start with this expectation then anything better will be a bonus.

Oh Villa,  why do you do this to me and others ?   

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:07:16 AM »
I am on side. I hope he does very well. I can't see why any Villa fan would not want that. If it all goes well, this will be forgotten. The issue is partly that lots of us clearly think it is not going to go well, and partly that if it goes badly, we're going to hit the ground with a very large bump.

I don't think the fans have lost their enthusiasm, I think the problem is it looks as if the board are starting to lose theirs.

Kind of agree, but I think it's more to do with ££££'s Paulie.

Randy is hiring a Manager used to working on loans players and low budgets, and he won the CC on that strategy - I think Randy likes that.

I will totally back the board and certainly look on the positives, but I fear the days of spending big ( unless funded by selling big) are over under RL.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 09:10:38 AM »
I'll never stop wanting Villa to do well, buit that doesn't stop me thinking that Randy is an arse and that this is a mental appointment.  Still, it's his money that he's inherited, if he wants to piss it up the wall like the know-nothing spoilt rich kid that the Browns fans think he is, he can carry on.

Online Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 09:14:35 AM »
Well I renewed my season ticket weeks ago but am embarrassed by this whole affair. I will look forward to seeing my team as always but really unsure as to the style of play they will be lumbered with. Am thinking a poorer version of MON. To get me back on side I'd like us to play attacking football and I'd like some people with a real feel for the club perhaps ex players to be involved at a higher level. And overall can we please do away with this cloak and dagger communication from the board.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 09:19:35 AM »

Spot on. Most of us fans can't lose our enthusiasm as its ingrained and developed through years and years of devotion.
It looks to me like the board have lost the spark of running Villa and are now just looking to bobble along in the way we did so successfully under Doug.
I'm sure that attendances will initially drop and season ticket sales are going to suffer a little, but through time I suspect most will be back out of a sense of duty, devotion or call it what you will.
One thing is for sure though, its going to take a little more than refurbishing a pub this time to repair the damaged trust.

Offline steffo

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 09:21:06 AM »
If appointed and does a 'David Unsworth' a week later.

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 09:26:21 AM »
Reluctantly I will be showing my support to the manager.  My support for the club and players WILL always be there.  As for AM, i think he is under pressure from day 1.
1) Avoiding relegation is the minimum requirement. 
2) Improving on last seasons 9th finish is another,
3) signing some quality players is another. 
4) Giving players like Ireland and Warnock a second chance and see if they can improve the team. 
5) Making use of the youth plyers that have broken into the senior squad - Albrighton, Bannan, Clarke
6) Being clear with the fans on the style of football he will be playing

its a tough ask for him but hope he proves us all wrong and is successful

Online TonyD

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 09:28:26 AM »
Public statement to say he doesn't have a clue.  Assuming of course it is AM.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 09:31:24 AM »
He starts with a clean slate for me so I'll judge everything on merit and not on what has happened in the past.

Offline caster troy

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 09:34:57 AM »
1. Full apology for the debacle of the last few weeks
2. No more sales of our best players in this window

Then they have to prove us wrong about Mcleish and get a top 6 finish. I'll be astonished if it happens though.

Offline eastie

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 09:37:05 AM »
I'm on side anyway- I look forward to his press conference and to seeing his transfer business , it's a new and exciting era as far as I'm concerned and he deserves every chance to succeed before being judged.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal