collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Randy Lerner: a good owner? The case for the prosecution  (Read 34477 times)

Offline Villafirst

Re: Randy Lerner: a good owner? The case for the prosecution
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2011, 10:38:16 PM »
What a load of shit and a waste of my time. Yawn.

Thanks for that insightful comment.  Topdeck has gone to the trouble of writing a thought provoking, considered piece, and whether you agree with him or not, there's no need for a response like that.

Quite right.

Agreed - it was an immature moronic comment.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2011, 10:41:37 PM »
i think he's been a bit naive. He's basically took over a business in an industry where anything goes, and at times his inexperience has shown, both with dealing with someone like MON who was/is very savvy with the press and Whelan who was basically given the chance to score a goal in an open net with our semi-laughable approach.  I think the King Canute-like bastian of decency in a sea of shite image will be toned down as he's a businessman first - He'll learn and we'll start playing the game which doesn't mean he'll thrown away our values, just modify them to get the job done. I don't really care about the doomladen press reports because if anything's been learned from the last week or so, its they know absolutely nowt apart from we approached Martinez.

I'd give him 8/10 so far.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:44:14 PM by gregnash »

Offline Villanation

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2011, 10:41:43 PM »
@Dave.

Well you say to much power for MON, but when you look at the reality of a team breaking the top 4, Spurs and Everton spring to mind, then realise how fast they fall away because of just how much it costs to stay there, then what you are left with is what is realistically achievable for a Premiership side then 5th/6th is top grade stuff, thats the reality, so in that respect RL got it right and putting his trust in MON seems now to be right, simply because we where up there season after season, qualifying for Europe, cup finals, we where feared as a team to reckoned with.

There is a real possibilty we never see that again, or at least for a fair period of time.

This is not an add for MON but IMO i think for a matter of 2 maybe 3 season both manager and chair got it bang on right.

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2011, 10:46:09 PM »
Randy is the best owner we have had and is a Villa man, we should not be questioning his committment to Villa, in my opinion!

I understand where you're coming from, but opinions are subjective. I believe we should question, not necessarily for the sake of it [though that's sometimes justified to encourage debate], but definitely when it's warranted.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2011, 10:50:58 PM »
Randy is the best owner we have had and is a Villa man, we should not be questioning his committment to Villa, in my opinion!

I understand where you're coming from, but opinions are subjective. I believe we should question, not necessarily for the sake of it [though that's sometimes justified to encourage debate], but definitely when it's warranted.
Were you questioning Randy when he put £150 million into the team?

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2011, 10:53:10 PM »

I know (I naively didn't) many people questioned on whom it was spent on.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2011, 10:57:49 PM »

So you want randy to play role as manager too deciding who we should sign?

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2011, 11:04:42 PM »

Probably not, can't remember in all honesty. Whether I was or not, that was then, this is now. Momentum's been lost.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2011, 11:11:47 PM »

So you want randy to play role as manager too deciding who we should sign?
No, not at all. But he might have someone else upstairs helping to decide if we should.
I was saying many people questioned who the money was being spent on in the last four years and I don't think Randy questioned it enough, he had absolute faith in MON. Now though I don't think he will give a manager that much faith again.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2011, 11:14:49 PM »
Big Ron played crap football?? What are you on about Sam?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2011, 11:25:03 PM »
One of the worst things about having the General posting on fan sites is that it's made it unacceptable to criticise any element of the board's conduct.  Take Topdeck's post, it isn't slagging off the board really but the knee jerk reaction from 90% of posters is to say "yikes, a post that is less than 100% complimentary, we'd better attack the poster in case Randy gets the hump!".  One of the reasons I started reading H&V, and then posting on the website was because it gave the fans' point of view, both good and bad, and was an antidote to the corporate blandness of official club pronouncements.  "Is this the programme?" is a long standing joke amongst the people who sell the fanzine around the ground.  "Is this the official site?" could be the digital version.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2011, 11:28:20 PM »
I'll criticize Randy etc when I think they deserve it.
If on September 1st McLeish is our manager and we have the likes of Jerome and Ridgewell in the squad then it's open season on him.

But it isn't, they aren't, so it's not.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2011, 11:28:42 PM »
If this happens, I won't be questioning Randy's commitment, as I think substantial funds will still be made available. But I'll sure as hell question his judgement.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2011, 11:41:28 PM »
In terms of putting in the money, Randy has been incredible for us.

What concerns me is the fact that for a while now we've been showing distinct signs of really rank disorganisation. Seeing the mess we are in now as some kind of conspiracy between the press and the bookies is laughable. The press wouldn't be taking the piss out of us now if there wasn't anything to take the piss out of in the first place.

I thought they got dropped into an awful situation when O'Neill left, but really, these are the perfect circumstances in which to be finding a new manager, yet still we seem to have managed to waste the six weeks warning we had.

The "we don't talk to the press" stance is fine in principle, but then why on earth have the general randomly dropping stuff on here and other forums which the press seize on? Why make it so hard on them in one sense, but so easy in another?

I have no doubt that the board are good intentioned, but I think they have underestimated how cut throat and hypocritical the industry is (and quite frankly, if the flip side of being the industry nice guy is that we get nowhere, then there needs to be a rethink on that policy), and have been naive in thinking you can do all this without a big chunk of football knowledge on the board.

The could fix a lot of this mess tomorrow if they wanted. They could get Steve Stride back in. They won't, though, and the club will suffer for it.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2011, 12:02:54 AM »
Who was that media bloke the club had around the time of the takeover, Phil Mepham was it? What's he doing now?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal