collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Randy Lerner: a good owner? The case for the prosecution  (Read 34585 times)

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
Randy Lerner: a good owner? The case for the prosecution
« on: June 13, 2011, 08:31:36 PM »
When we were experiencing the great Randy Lerner love-in of 2006-09, I said on here that the time for judging him as an owner was not when everything was on the up, but when he’d had to deal with the poor seasons, a managerial appointment or two and the ensuing backlash from sections of the fans.   At that point, we’d have more of an idea as to whether the club was in as capable a pair of hands as we were being led to believe.

Events of the last twelve months or so are leading to me to seriously question as whether Lerner really is the right man to be taking Aston Villa forward.

In my mind, the first serious error was to allow the relationship with Martin O’Neill to cool to the extent that the manager walked out when he did.   We’re not the first club where the relationship between Chairman and manager irrevocably breakdowns, but the trick is to see the warning signs and either get rid of the manager at a more opportune time, or to try and reconcile the differences.  This wasn’t done, MON flounced off – and recently was rewarded for doing so – and meanwhile Lerner’s insistence on doing the right thing by other clubs sees us appointing a has-been from a tiny pool of candidates.

The breakdown between Lerner and MON was in my view compounded by the appointment of Paul Faulkner as Chief Executive and the person running the show in absentia.  Whatever Faulkner brought to MBNA, it is increasingly manifest these are not the skill-set necessary to do the day-to-day running of a top Premier League football club.  Lerner’s absences in themselves are not particularly a problem - Sheikh Mansour rarely attends Eastlands – but what he needs is a management team that can run the club in his absence.  Wanting that done in a particularly ethical way is fine, but there also needs to be people steeped in the murkier ways of the football world.  Man City, for example, has Garry Cook and Brian Marwood.     

The third serious error is the fact that there appears to be no contingency planning for the situation that the club now finds itself in.  This smacks of rank poor management from the top down.  Even prior to his ill-health, there must have been doubts as to whether Houllier was the right man for the job.  The fact that we are scrambling around now for, depending who you believe, our third, fourth or fifth choice, shows a complete lack of foresight.   The fact that the choice appears to be someone completely unacceptable to the majority of the fans just compounds the error.  We had a couple of months from when Houllier fell ill to get our ducks in a row, and it should have been a case of “Bye, Gerard; Hello, X.”

Finally, there is the small matter of Lerner’s refusal to speak with the electronic media, and only to communicate intermittently with the written media.  On the face of it there doesn’t seem too much wrong with this, as the club as a whole has continued to put people up for interview/comment.  However, it creates a reservoir of resentment amongst the broadcasters and journalists, that then gets released in the negative reporting we are experiencing at present.

So, when the above are considered, do we really have, as has been regularly trumpeted over the last five years “The Best Owner in the League”?  I’m sure there is a case for the defence, but in the spirit of the adversarial system, I’ll leave it to others to present that.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Randy Lerner: a good owner? The case for the prosecution
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 08:33:57 PM »
We'll have a better idea on September 1st when manager and squad are in place.

Offline gaucho1966

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 08:36:09 PM »
I was going to make my point, but i really can't be bothered with this claptrap.

Offline eastie

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 08:36:37 PM »
Express and star reporting randy has vowed not to bow to the wishes of the supporters .

A good chairman stands by his decisions and he should make the decision he sees right nevermind what fans say, randy has the most to lose and if he feels he has the right man then so be it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:41:18 PM by eastie »

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 08:36:38 PM »
Someone else can list all the ways in which Lerner has sorted the Villa out. Top owner of a top club.

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 08:38:27 PM »
I think it's difficult not to get caught up in the wave of negativity from the press, especially as the club are saying nothing, but we should really give Lerner the benefit of the doubt, considering his previous years with us. Just my humble opinion of course.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 08:41:30 PM »
Express and star reporting randy has vowed not to bow to the wishes of the supporters .
They'll have taken that from the Generals last comments

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 08:47:32 PM »
When we were experiencing the great Randy Lerner love-in of 2006-09, I said on here that the time for judging him as an owner was not when everything was on the up, but when he’d had to deal with the poor seasons, a managerial appointment or two and the ensuing backlash from sections of the fans.   At that point, we’d have more of an idea as to whether the club was in as capable a pair of hands as we were being led to believe.

Events of the last twelve months or so are leading to me to seriously question as whether Lerner really is the right man to be taking Aston Villa forward.

In my mind, the first serious error was to allow the relationship with Martin O’Neill to cool to the extent that the manager walked out when he did.   We’re not the first club where the relationship between Chairman and manager irrevocably breakdowns, but the trick is to see the warning signs and either get rid of the manager at a more opportune time, or to try and reconcile the differences.  This wasn’t done, MON flounced off – and recently was rewarded for doing so – and meanwhile Lerner’s insistence on doing the right thing by other clubs sees us appointing a has-been from a tiny pool of candidates.

The breakdown between Lerner and MON was in my view compounded by the appointment of Paul Faulkner as Chief Executive and the person running the show in absentia.  Whatever Faulkner brought to MBNA, it is increasingly manifest these are not the skill-set necessary to do the day-to-day running of a top Premier League football club.  Lerner’s absences in themselves are not particularly a problem - Sheikh Mansour rarely attends Eastlands – but what he needs is a management team that can run the club in his absence.  Wanting that done in a particularly ethical way is fine, but there also needs to be people steeped in the murkier ways of the football world.  Man City, for example, has Garry Cook and Brian Marwood.     

The third serious error is the fact that there appears to be no contingency planning for the situation that the club now finds itself in.  This smacks of rank poor management from the top down.  Even prior to his ill-health, there must have been doubts as to whether Houllier was the right man for the job.  The fact that we are scrambling around now for, depending who you believe, our third, fourth or fifth choice, shows a complete lack of foresight.   The fact that the choice appears to be someone completely unacceptable to the majority of the fans just compounds the error.  We had a couple of months from when Houllier fell ill to get our ducks in a row, and it should have been a case of “Bye, Gerard; Hello, X.”

Finally, there is the small matter of Lerner’s refusal to speak with the electronic media, and only to communicate intermittently with the written media.  On the face of it there doesn’t seem too much wrong with this, as the club as a whole has continued to put people up for interview/comment.  However, it creates a reservoir of resentment amongst the broadcasters and journalists, that then gets released in the negative reporting we are experiencing at present.

So, when the above are considered, do we really have, as has been regularly trumpeted over the last five years “The Best Owner in the League”?  I’m sure there is a case for the defence, but in the spirit of the adversarial system, I’ll leave it to others to present that.

What you've written is a load of bollocks. 

The defence rests.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 08:49:42 PM »

What you've written is a load of bollocks. 

The defence rests.

Crown rules in favour of defence. Take the prosecution away to be banhammered and then tortured.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 08:54:35 PM »
I trust randy wholeheartedly. If after speaking to everyone available he thinks mcleish is the best choice then I back him, against all my initial anger.
The case is closed in my opinion. In fact, it was never open

Offline Villanation

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 09:00:49 PM »
Firstly, Randy Lerners success and wealth as it is, is an inherited wealth, it was his family that where the real movers and shakers, think you will find that RL has sold of a lot of the family jewels in terms of the stock holdings that was part and parcel of the Lerner family, does that have any bearing on his abilty to run a football club.....No.

What Faulkner bestowed on MBNA, well as I understand MBNA are nothing like the lending credit card institue they where a couple of years ago, the net is alive with stories of the next potential failure. Does that have any bearing on his ability to administer Villa...No, he is Randy Lerner's mouthpiece.

The point about Martin O'Niell is a good one, What was so bad that almost a season before MON left RL decided no more money, what did MON do that was so wrong that Lerner shutup shop on him in the Jan transfer window yet preceeding that we got to Wembley not once but twice in the coming months. MON's time of departure was poor in its timing and i would bet that MON regrets doing that, fact is that was a fit of temper, what pushed him to it, and the fact that we ended compensating him says to me he was in the right.

So what do we have now....not a lot, and it seems to me that we are becoming a bit of a basket case where the rest of the Premiership and its fans are concerned, as an Arsenal fan said to me today when we where having a bit of banter, me about there lack of silverware and Wenger and him saying at least we have a decent manager, you can't buy one at the moment.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 09:01:23 PM »
to be honest, I think a lot of people have become to embroiled in the media/betfair/itk thats been going on. We have a thread going into 100's of pages all about newspaper garbage. People all over the place are arguing over what "Sources close to villa" say. Too much turmoil and no facts. As I see it AVFC are searching for an employee on a salary of a few million quid. I can only see a few people acting calmly and they operate at Villa park.
If you can keep your head, and all that, seems quite apt at the moment

Offline Sam Smith

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 09:04:13 PM »
Your right, agree with all that and while we are at it I want the following to be considered;

Brian Little was crap, wasted money and was lucky to come 4th and win the league cup!
Big Ron played crap football and had it not been for that lucky run in his second season would have taken us down!
Graham Tayor....clown! We should have got Harry Basset.
Saunders / Barton .....dont get me started on those cretins!
Hitchins..overated..Walker too attack minded...Barson...homosexual...Mcgregor ...shouldnt have bothered.

I wish Randy would take his millions, his improved ground/training ground, his fan loving attitude, his enthusiastic celebration, his modest approach and fly back to Cleveland on his private jet and sit on his Ivy league eduated silver spooned harris and lets get someone else in!

Whats Peter Ridsdale upto?

If not just put the club into administration and build a supermarket

Does anyone know how you get tickets for the darts?

Offline N'Zimidy

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 09:08:06 PM »
Villanation are you a nose?

You clearly have absolutely no idea what goes on at Villa. Do your research and stop spouting crap. Cheers.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 09:08:26 PM »
Case for the prosecution dismissed.

Paul Faulkner- you're dismissed too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal