collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:15:07 AM]

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by olaftab
[Today at 02:42:51 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 02:30:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by aj2k77
[Today at 02:00:12 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Pete3206
[Today at 01:38:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Deadly Doug & Managers  (Read 11981 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Deadly Doug & Managers
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 09:37:15 PM »
In those days I had hair, I miss that.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 09:41:03 PM »
In those days I had hair, I miss that.
Me too.  I also miss seeing my knob.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 09:46:11 PM »
As much as people like to knock Doug Ellis, me included at times, he left the club in very good shape that RL has benefited from and IMO he sold Villa at far less a value than it was really worth, even then IMO it was his concern that he found the right man rather than someone that would take advantage of the club, think that counted more than profit.

Was Doug Ellis more switched on than RL, I doubt very much we would have gone this long without direction, that said Randy Lerner has only been here a few years so jury is still out, I think the point about the good times and the bad times is right, its now we will see the real value of the chairman.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 09:49:32 PM »
Was Deadly more decisive than Randy: definately, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.

Overall, was Deadly a better chairman than Randy is: no way.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 09:50:18 PM »
As much as people like to knock Doug Ellis, me included at times, he left the club in very good shape that RL has benefited from and IMO he sold Villa at far less a value than it was really worth, even then IMO it was his concern that he found the right man rather than someone that would take advantage of the club, think that counted more than profit.

Was Doug Ellis more switched on than RL, I doubt very much we would have gone this long without direction, that said Randy Lerner has only been here a few years so jury is still out, I think the point about the good times and the bad times is right, its now we will see the real value of the chairman.

That's some revisionism there. At the moment there's uproar because we're linked with the former Small Heath manager. And where did Doug start his football directorship life?

Offline Villanation

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 09:59:42 PM »

That's some revisionism there. At the moment there's uproar because we're linked with the former Small Heath manager. And where did Doug start his football directorship life?

@dave. No question there are some massive grey area's around Dougies wheeling and dealings, hell as a kid i washed his Jag and he still owe's me the sheckles, the only point i was making is that in part, a pretty large part, Villa are what they are to some degree down to Mr Ellis. Thats the only point, and also, you have to say when Doug moved he moved fast, hiring and firing.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:03:57 PM by Villanation »

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 10:03:38 PM »
Just out of interest, can anyone remember how much time there was between SGT1 leaving and BFR arriving, as that's about the longest gap I can remember us having between managers under Ellis? Mind you, as he got rid of so many (mutually of course!) mid season he usually had to act sharpish.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 10:10:16 PM »
Just out of interest, can anyone remember how much time there was between SGT1 leaving and BFR arriving, as that's about the longest gap I can remember us having between managers under Ellis? Mind you, as he got rid of so many (mutually of course!) mid season he usually had to act sharpish.

About eleven months - Dr Jo came in between.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 10:13:21 PM »

About eleven months - Dr Jo came in between.

I meant Dr Jo and BFR!

Jeeze i'm a twat. Absolutely no idea why I typed SGT1. I blame the lack of hair affecting my brain.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 10:16:24 PM »

@dave. No question there are some massive grey area's around Dougies wheeling and dealings, hell as a kid i washed his Jag and he still owe's me the sheckles, the only point i was making is that in part, a pretty large part, Villa are what they are to some degree down to Mr Ellis. Thats the only point, and also, you have to say when Doug moved he moved fast, hiring and firing.

Except when he sacked Barton and the job was touted around Europe before we finally got Turner six weeks later. Sir Graham left in May 1990 - after being turned down by Joe Jordan and Gerry Francis Dr Jo eventually arrived during the pre-season tour. 16 days (during the season) between BFR and Brian. That's not moving fast.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 10:19:41 PM »
Its not the first time we have been turned down then?

Out of curiosity did we actually call off an appointment with McClaren due to fan power? Or is it the press (Sky Sports) actually making that one up?

Offline mozza

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 10:20:02 PM »
Doug had Steve Stride whereas Randy has Paul Faulkner ?

Offline Villanation

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 10:29:15 PM »

Except when he sacked Barton and the job was touted around Europe before we finally got Turner six weeks later. Sir Graham left in May 1990 - after being turned down by Joe Jordan and Gerry Francis Dr Jo eventually arrived during the pre-season tour. 16 days (during the season) between BFR and Brian. That's not moving fast.

This is true, but generally Ellis was a decisive person as many ex managers would say, I suppose the real cross Doug has to live with is the period between 79 and 82  :) unfortunate that, but he didn't shrink from taking decisions, I remember when he wrecked the squad in the middle/ late eighties and we got relagated, but again his claim was he did that to make the club viable.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 10:31:31 PM »
This is true, but generally Ellis was a decisive person as many ex managers would say, I suppose the real cross Doug has to live with is the period between 79 and 82  :) unfortunate that, but he didn't shrink from taking decisions, I remember when he wrecked the squad in the middle/ late eighties and we got relagated, but again his claim was he did that to make the club viable.

He did it to make them relegated.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 10:32:13 PM »

He did it to make them relegated.

The view from the terraces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal