collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:35:25 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 11:35:16 AM]

NSWE Investment by dave.woodhall
[Today at 11:33:19 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 11:33:03 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by OCD
[Today at 11:13:37 AM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 11:12:08 AM]

Olympiacos flights by Des Little
[Today at 11:08:37 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:50:46 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Infrastructure  (Read 12373 times)

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
Re: Aston Villa Infrastructure
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2011, 01:14:28 PM »
Steve Stride? Did he not help form the MK Dons?

Being part of the three-man FA commission that made the decision that allowed Wimbledon to relocate to Milton Keynes is indeed a big blot on his copybook, but the fact that he was invited to be part of the process also says a great deal about his standing within the wider football community.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2011, 01:26:49 PM »
The Independent's take on why we're looking for a manager on the cheap

Oh no! It says Spurs have got a wage bill £20m higher than ours!

I think we were really unlucky not to make it to the Champions League under MON. A lot is made (and it's a fair point) of the injury crisis GH had to contend with. But IMO the injuries of Laursen and Bouma started the tailspin that did for O'Neill. Even Davies looked promising alongside Laursen before his achilles injury at Arsenal. All the money spent trying to replace them had a massive effect on both the transfer budget and the wage bill, and probably indirectly on the thinking of Barry and Milner too. Were it not for circumstances beyond our control (injuries and Man City) and one big mistake by MON, we could have lined up the last two seasons mostly thus:

Friedel
Cuellar
Laursen
Cahill
Bouma
Downing
Barry
Milner
A. Young
Gabby
Carew

Plus whoever else we'd have spent the money on that would not have been spent on Dunne, Collins, Shorey and Warnock.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 02:09:17 PM by Percy »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2011, 01:58:37 PM »
I do think Villa are lacking some sort of ambassador who is recognised in the football world, a la Quinn at Sunderland rather than the fella at Man City.

What is Graham Taylor up to?  He comes across as a pretty charming man when on TV and knows the game and club inside out.

If he is a bit old school and not SKY TV enough then I'd like to see Southgate given a role at the club.  He has good media relations working as a pundit and journalist.  He is currently at the FA in some sort of duel role as an ambassador between the FA and clubs trying to form better relationships whilst also working with Brooking strategically planning the youth set up.  Basically ideal for Villa.

Sir Graham's Watford chairman. Southgate would be good.

Ian Taylor works in an ambassadorial role for the club. Not sure if that's related to basic corporate meet and greet type stuff but he was out in Hong Kong at the youths tournament lately so he must spend a decent amount of time in this role.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal