collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Infrastructure  (Read 12349 times)

Offline garyfouroaks

Re: Aston Villa Infrastructure
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 05:12:52 PM »
The OP is a fair one.

I am 100% behind Randy, but the lack of "boots on the ground" football knowledge at Board level is frightening with Faulkner hoplessly out of his depth.

A David Dein, Peter kenyon, Brian Barwick figure to be the day to day face of the Club would make a huge difference.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 05:15:20 PM »
Doug was a wily old fox who, for all his name-dropping, did actually know the movers and shakers that mattered.  Working for him was Steve Stride, who had been at Villa Park man-and-boy, so was immersed in the workings of the club and the football world and knew which levers to pull to get things done.   . 

We now have a mostly absentee Chairman, who is keen to do things the right way, which is laudable, but not how this particular line of business is known to work.  The day-to-day running of club is with Paul Faulkner, who reminds me of a candidate on The Apprentice, whose CV is outwardly impressive, but doesn't quite seem to be able to transfer those skills into the situation that he has now been thrust and is melting down under the full glare of media exposure.

As much as I really appreciate much of what Randy has done, the lack of a more visceral understanding in the board room of the football world, I don't believe is doing us any favours.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 05:15:33 PM »
I would add that I'm sure PF will have excellent networking skills: it'd be a key criterion of the job.

He must be either the worst or the unluckiest CEO of all time.The change in fortunes at the club since he took up the reins is astonishing.
Can't disagree!
What actually is his background? - doing a quick tinterweb search hasn't really thrown anything up that gives an insight into his background and experience.

Relationship Manager at MBNA.

There is a simple reason he is in charge IMO and that is that Randy needs a man on the ground who will do exactly what he wants.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 05:23:34 PM »
PF was basically Randy's Assistant wasn't he, it was also Faulkener who did all the research into which club to buy. A shortish career in "relationship management" doesn't seem to be the best qualification to be a CEO of a top Premiership football club though.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 05:30:35 PM »
I know a few bods who's business acumen I respect who have met Faulkner. They all say he's as bright as a button and none of them view him as the bumbling baffoon he's made out to be on here.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2011, 05:33:01 PM »
I know a few bods who's business acumen I respect who have met Faulkner. They all say he's as bright as a button and none of them view him as the bumbling baffoon he's made out to be on here.

Don't think it's like that at all, more so, he isn't a football man.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 05:38:59 PM »
When things aren't going absolutely perfectly in football it used to be the chairman who got the blame. Now it's the CEO. That's the corporate world for you.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 05:45:28 PM »
I put it down to the way we do things rather than the speed we  react. Unless i mis-read it, whelan received a written letter in the post asking to speak to Martinez. wtf?! Is it 1950? Sorry, but if every other club is sounding out managers before they approach their clubs then thats what we should do, if only to save time and avoiding public knock-backs. It's one thing acting honourably, its another operating with one arm tied behind your back.

I thought Whelan said he had received a request in writing.  I must have missed the quote about it being received via Royal Mail.  Do agree that we should not do everything by the book though and a little sounding out first wouldn't go a miss.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 05:47:30 PM »

I don't for a minute doubt that he's anything other than a very good CEO from a business perspective.  He's dropped one clanger though in that he should have a Stride type in place to assist him or at least to learn from. 

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2011, 05:54:39 PM »
I put it down to the way we do things rather than the speed we  react. Unless i mis-read it, whelan received a written letter in the post asking to speak to Martinez. wtf?! Is it 1950? Sorry, but if every other club is sounding out managers before they approach their clubs then thats what we should do, if only to save time and avoiding public knock-backs. It's one thing acting honourably, its another operating with one arm tied behind your back.

I thought Whelan said he had received a request in writing.  I must have missed the quote about it being received via Royal Mail.  Do agree that we should not do everything by the book though and a little sounding out first wouldn't go a miss.

Are you suggesting, Old Man Villa Fan, that a facsimile transmission apparatus may have been utilised?

Stuff and nonsense. Quill pen and envelope bearing the official seal are the instruments required for this important missive from the venerable institution of AVFC.

Shudda sorted it on Facebook innit. Or Skype.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 06:01:40 PM »
Or Twitta.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2011, 06:35:42 PM »
I do think Villa are lacking some sort of ambassador who is recognised in the football world, a la Quinn at Sunderland rather than the fella at Man City.

What is Graham Taylor up to?  He comes across as a pretty charming man when on TV and knows the game and club inside out.

If he is a bit old school and not SKY TV enough then I'd like to see Southgate given a role at the club.  He has good media relations working as a pundit and journalist.  He is currently at the FA in some sort of duel role as an ambassador between the FA and clubs trying to form better relationships whilst also working with Brooking strategically planning the youth set up.  Basically ideal for Villa.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 06:37:36 PM »
I do think Villa are lacking some sort of ambassador who is recognised in the football world, a la Quinn at Sunderland rather than the fella at Man City.

What is Graham Taylor up to?  He comes across as a pretty charming man when on TV and knows the game and club inside out.

If he is a bit old school and not SKY TV enough then I'd like to see Southgate given a role at the club.  He has good media relations working as a pundit and journalist.  He is currently at the FA in some sort of duel role as an ambassador between the FA and clubs trying to form better relationships whilst also working with Brooking strategically planning the youth set up.  Basically ideal for Villa.

Sir Graham's Watford chairman. Southgate would be good.

Offline madirishvillain

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 07:36:51 PM »
to be honest, after last years mess you would have thought we would have got this sorted

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »
I have a friend who knows Whelan very well.   The impression I get is that he is the kind of man who, when asked via the new fangled telephonic communication system if we may speak to Bob Martins would reply irascibly "put it in writing".

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal