collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Looking For Old Friends.  (Read 1784 times)

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
Looking For Old Friends.
« on: June 11, 2011, 12:24:46 AM »
Those of you of a certain age will see my online name and guess where I'm coming from.
I was sitting in the bay window of The Holte Pub that midweek night in 1975 (I forget who we had played, or the result ) all that mattered to us was that the bloose got beat 1-0 by Fulham in a FA Cup replay.
That led to our group rewording the song "The Laughing Policeman".
I can't remember all the words but the final part was " The goal came in the last minute, the referee blew up and now those city ***** are out of the FA Cup.....Ha,ha, ha, ho, ho, ho, hee, hee,hee." etc, etc.. Another line in the song referred to "Alec Stock's Fulham".
Any way I lost touch with that group of guys through circumstances beyond our control. And now I would love to be able to meet up with them again to share a few pints and lots of memories.
We used to meet on a Friday night in the Bier Keller in New St, then adjourn to various other hostelries including The Costermonger, and The Royal Mail plus The Greyhound cider house on Lee Bank for a couple of pints of Rough and Blackcurrant.
If we were at home the next day we would meet at the Cabin at the top of Bull St. and then head down to the Aston Tavern about midday to get in tune for an afternoons singing in The Holte End.
After the match it was onto the buses back to town grab an Argus and into the Costermonger for a swift few before calling an end to the week.
Away matches followed pretty much the same pattern as far as beer consumption went.
Anyway back to the reason for starting this thread........Tony, Frank or Shoff or any others who recognise this rambling please
message me. It would be great to meet again and have a few beers and look back at those far off days.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal