collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:06:52 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 24, 2024, 11:56:03 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Hillbilly
[April 24, 2024, 11:46:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[April 24, 2024, 11:04:47 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[April 24, 2024, 10:35:53 PM]

NSWE Investment by PeterWithesShin
[April 24, 2024, 10:20:26 PM]

MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[April 24, 2024, 10:01:13 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[April 24, 2024, 09:46:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The reporting of the current situation  (Read 22308 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: The reporting of the current situation
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2011, 03:35:29 PM »
I bet Martin Swain couldnt wait to get this printed.
http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2011/06/10/swains-take-on-martinezs-villa-snub/
Not much ,  if anything,  I disagree with in there.

Yeah sure...Martinez actually said 'thanks but no thanks' did he?

It's a shit article, Liverpool disappearing over the horizon are they?  No mention of  how well we managed to salvage 9th spot when landed in such shit.

Offline avfc_1874

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2011, 03:36:20 PM »

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2011/06/10/swains-take-on-martinezs-villa-snub/

Yet more sloppy journalism showing little understanding of what is happening in B6. RM was not offered the job merely the opportunity to be interviewed. This information was circulated by his Chairman and out of loyalty or perhaps an intelligent understanding of his own capabilities he declined this opportunity.

Sniping is something we get used to especially from the London centric media but when such articles are written on our doorstep it appears a litter more sinister and maybe hiding a more parochial anti Villa agenda!

I would wager Villa will begin next season in better order than you might imagine. 9th when in turmoil is a better achievement than the ‘messiah’ had achieved previously.

I cant understand why our fans buy into nonsense like that article!

Well said. Some of the over-reactions on here and other forums is slightly embarrassing.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 03:39:06 PM »
I think someone hit the nail on the head the other night.

Villa have been superb in this - haven't leaked a drop - very professional.

Sky make a hell of a lot of money via Sky bet - and Talk Sport via their association with Paddy Power - by reporting this the way they are doing, is earning them a fortune.

But the truth is - they know sod all !
Spot on

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 03:43:07 PM »
That manager will be a second choice and he and the players will know it.

Although he raises some interesting points, that is just the media twist on it and nothing else.

What I generally don;t like is the idea that one bad season in 5 is anything other than just that.

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 03:45:43 PM »
We did have good PR previously, with the Acorns partnership and the generally picking British players thing. Ever since O'Neill walked a lot of that good grace from the media went down the swanny, with journalists only too eager to stick the boot in.

Coincidence?

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2011, 04:00:57 PM »
I know i shouldnt listen to the station,and i shouldnt let him annoy me,but when the rumour first broke about him staying at Wigan, Mick Quinn said its because' he can hold out and get a bigger job'. Bigger job??

If it wasn't for the last day of the season and West Ham being useless he'd be a Championship manager right now. I'm not having a go at Martinez,he seems a decent bloke,an its nice to see some loyalty still in the game. I dont like to use this anti villa line,but Quinn is,some of the things he said about GH were completely out of order.

Then on twitter,Darren Lewis was bringing up the old line about lack of funds for O'Neill. Can the tube not count.

Rant over.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2011, 04:16:27 PM »
I know the media doesn't like us. Have it always be like that. What it is like in the 50s or before WWII.

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2011, 04:25:35 PM »

Pretty accurate summary I reckon.

He does say we have had 50 days to try and get someone in, which obviously isnt true as we didnt know the extent of GH's healthe problems til recently.

But, you would have thought that a contingency plan would have been in place to be ready should he not be able to continue and accordingly not waste too much time getting a man in. Doesnt seem to be the case.

Offline Michel Sibble

• Wiibble.
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2011, 04:57:05 PM »
Just do what the Americans and Jews do - label all criticism of the Villa as "anti-Midlands" or "anti-Birmingham" sentiment.

It should also be illegal for journalists to deny the European Cup win of 1982. League champion deniers should be tried in The Fort...

Too controversial?

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2011, 05:13:43 PM »
It's not hysterical and I'm not 'blaming the media' for what's happening.  We don't know what's happening and neither do they (and above all else 'they' HATE that).  That's the damn point!!

I'm commenting on the joyous but ultimately baseless ridicule currently being levelled at us as a club and as fans of the club.

It's beyond a joke now.  National media outlets are all presenting Villa as some bumbling idiot of a club blindly bungling their way through an ever decreasing list of candidates who don't want the job.  When, in actual fact, all they did was to seek permission to speak to Martinez to discuss it (ie interview him and see what he's made of).  The Wigan chairman has played it all out in the press for some reason.....  I wonder why.  I guess it makes them look good. 

Whoever we now end up with it will be reported that they were 10th choice and that we are a small time club with nothing going for it.  I've read and heard commentators saying with a straight face that Villa aren't a step up from Wigan Athletic.   I mean, that's really discreditable guff but it goes unopposed and unchallenged.  Indeed, some Villa fans parrot it having lapped it up from agenda-driven journalists. As Dave mentions, Chelsea haven't employed anybody yet, are they in 'crisis'?  No, apparently not.

I really do hope Villa surprise everyone, like they did with the Bent signing, and employ a manager of repute just to read the revisionism.  Remember the whole Bent was a 'panic buy' while Carroll (£35m) was a masterstroke.  It's just not fair is it?

Villa need to get somebody in who is irrefutably somebody a bizarrely hostile media didn't think we could get.

Offline holtepaul

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2011, 05:16:50 PM »
Just laugh at it - when we appoint the manager - people will call them taking the pee - the same as in January when Micky "I am a big fat slob who lived in Hill End" Quinn said we had no money and had to sell players the day before we bought a 24m quid striker !

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2011, 05:20:27 PM »
Just laugh at it - when we appoint the manager - people will call them taking the pee - the same as in January when Micky "I am a big fat slob who lived in Hill End" Quinn said we had no money and had to sell players the day before we bought a 24m quid striker !

As Morrissey once sang, That joke's not funny any more. 

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2011, 06:05:49 PM »
I know i shouldnt listen to the station,and i shouldnt let him annoy me,but when the rumour first broke about him staying at Wigan, Mick Quinn said its because' he can hold out and get a bigger job'. Bigger job??

If it wasn't for the last day of the season and West Ham being useless he'd be a Championship manager right now. I'm not having a go at Martinez,he seems a decent bloke,an its nice to see some loyalty still in the game. I dont like to use this anti villa line,but Quinn is,some of the things he said about GH were completely out of order.

Then on twitter,Darren Lewis was bringing up the old line about lack of funds for O'Neill. Can the tube not count.

Rant over.

He can't even blow his nose, never mind count...

Offline Dribbler

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2011, 06:36:56 PM »
Imagine the back page headline:

"Villa quietly going about their business in a respectable manner to appoint a new manager."

Your just not going to see it, it's not what sells papers or creates attention. Much better then to print gossip, rumour and speculation about doom, gloom, trouble, strife and rejection. Much better then to make fact out of fiction and mountains out of molehills of truth. The problem is, people lap it up.

It's not particular to the Villa either, it happens to every club, really it's just a sad reflection of the state of much of our media these days, which in a way is a relection of society in general and those that support such media.

Offline madirishvillain

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2011, 06:37:23 PM »
 really hope we have something up our sleeves regarding this new manager

i know people are having a go about the media and how they are reporting things but it cant all be the media's fault

some of the blame for this circus has to lie at our own door

i live in northern ireland and the papers over here dont excactly paint us in a great light over this and what axe would they have to grind with an English football club?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal