collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The reporting of the current situation  (Read 22263 times)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
The reporting of the current situation
« on: June 10, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
I'm not one for 'the media are against us' style rants, but the reporting of our situation has been a farce and a disgrace in equal measures. I don't remember such a blood thirsty approach to a club looking for a new manager, nor such prevalent comment about a clubs fans having 'unrealistic' ambitions for their club.

I'm sick of hearing how we should be ok with being an also ran. I'm equally as sick of hearing that villa aren't a step up from fucking Wigan. Why do writers and broadcasters have such a condescending attitude towards Aston villa?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: The reporting of the current situation
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:44:08 PM »
We can prove the media wrong by approaching, and appointing, a manager of genuine repute. Ancelotti may not be feasible but I see no reason why we couldn't appoint a Rijkaard, Van Gaal, Kinky Flowers or such like.

If we end up with Hughes or equal non-entity we will prove the media assertion that we are a mid-ranking, boring club as they keep telling us we are.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 12:45:38 PM »
Birmingham/the Midlands might as well be Outer Mongolia to them.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 12:56:04 PM »
We don't help ourselves. We give the impression of stumbling from one candidate to another even though behind the scenes I'm sure that's not the case.

Our PR department do not do the club any favours in my opinion.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 12:57:46 PM »
Its even worse when you live outside the region. People laugh at me when I tell then Villa are a much bigger club than Spuds. When we look at any measure history, trophys, gates its true. FACT.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 01:05:06 PM »
As someone once said - too big to be patronised, not big enough to be powerful. If Blackburn were after a new manager the nationals wouldn't bother because nobody outside east Lancashire cares about them. If it was Manchester United there wouldn't be one word of criticism because everyone is afraid of offending them. Chelsea have been looking longer than us and are no nearer than we are but nothing's being said about that.   

Offline EmileHefty

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 01:27:59 PM »
We are starting to look like the guy who cant get a date for the Graduation ball. 

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 01:29:38 PM »
The general bed wetting hysteria of our own cyber support doesn't appear to help. Its more fuel for the media fire.

Offline MadJohnnyC

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 01:34:24 PM »
Love the way its reported that Martinez turned us down when in fact we hadn't even met the man.

Offline Caiphus

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 01:39:26 PM »
garrr so angry at the media bullshit, I can't even come up with something coherent to say...

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 01:45:36 PM »
The general bed wetting hysteria of our own cyber support doesn't appear to help. Its more fuel for the media fire.

Agree with this 100%. Where did the dramatists strut their stuff before the internet?

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 01:46:16 PM »
Water off a duck's back for me these days, though I used to get very annoyed - it has gone on for as long as I can remember. Even when we won the league, we got the same sort of treatment meeted out to us about how Ipswich deserved it etc. What is important to me is that we stick together on here and hold our nerve through this period of uncertainty. I value everyone's input on here, not the idiotic ramblings of people like that fat div scouser, Micky Quinn and some eye bulging ape on SSN...

Offline villanois

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 01:54:13 PM »
Water off a duck's back for me these days, though I used to get very annoyed - it has gone on for as long as I can remember. Even when we won the league, we got the same sort of treatment meeted out to us about how Ipswich deserved it etc. What is important to me is that we stick together on here and hold our nerve through this period of uncertainty. I value everyone's input on here, not the idiotic ramblings of people like that fat div scouser, Micky Quinn and some eye bulging ape on SSN...
Couldn't agree more

Offline mazrimsbruv

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 01:55:40 PM »
Copied from the manager thread:

It's a PR disaster precisely because we've kept a dignified silence.

This leaves the media with no choice but to make stuff up and, in the case of Aston Villa, this will almost always be the most derogatory stuff imaginable.

So they gleefully portray a situation where we offer the job to a string of decreasingly capable canidates, who all knock us back, before staggering blindly onto the next one down the list.

It's all bollocks of course, but it's bollocks that portrays us in the worst possible light. Surely we need to employ a media expert who can manage them and give them soundbites without compromising what we are doing behind the scenes?

My bruv always says 'fuck the media' but if you view Aston Villa as a business, which on one level it is, what company in any business can afford to ignore bad press in the media?

No company, because it damages their image and hampers their efforts to attract sponsorship, investment and top employees.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 01:59:15 PM »
Talk Shite and in particularly the fat fecker that is Micky Quinn have been particularly nasty in their vitriol...
empty seats, no-one wants the job, all the players are leaving, never been a success, Villa fans are living in a dream world, not a big club, etc, etc.

I know I shouldn't listen but we do seem to be giving out this image that we do everything by the book and send letters of request to managers we may be interested with a little wax seal and a big bow on presumably hand delivered by a courier who is a perfect English gentleman.

I wish we wouldn't do everything by the book and just go out and get the bloke we all want, whatever it takes, by fair means or foul.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal