collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Club Statement - What Do You Think?  (Read 27732 times)

Offline Irish villain

Re: Club Statement - What Do You Think?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 12:52:22 PM »
I think I really dislike Paul Faulkner
Why? Because our Club isn't deemed big enough or geographically located well enough to attract the bigger names?

What Irish villain said above

Go back to 2007-2009 we were on a real roll. We were real movers in the PL. You could smell the burning ambition at Villa Park and we weren't just knocking on the door of the CL places, we were in amongst those places. Somethign went very badly wrong from early 2009. You could even sense it at the time.

Online dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 12:52:49 PM »

Why? Because our Club isn't deemed big enough or geographically located well enough to attract the bigger names?

This had me thinking the other day to why clubs dont consider locating there training facilities nearer to say London?
If thats what sells it to a player then I cant see any reason why they have to be in the vicinity of the clubs location?

Train all week in the smoke and play at your home ground once a fortnight..
why not?

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 12:55:05 PM »

Go back to 2007-2009 we were on a real roll. We were real movers in the PL. You could smell the burning ambition at Villa Park and we weren't just knocking on the door of the CL places, we were in amongst those places. Somethign went very badly wrong from early 2009. You could even sense it at the time.

I think the board were on safe ground to begin with, they didn't have to input much as O'Neill was doing it all.
It started going tits up when they realised his Dictatorship was causing the wage bill to go through the roof, he leaves and they've been clueless ever since.

Offline Outcast2006

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 01:00:17 PM »

I think the board were on safe ground to begin with, they didn't have to input much as O'Neill was doing it all.
It started going tits up when they realised his Dictatorship was causing the wage bill to go through the roof, he leaves and they've been clueless ever since.
His dictatorship caused the wage bill to gothrough the roof?  How does that happen then? I would have thought it was the signing of players and agreeing to salaries that did that and the board only got a handle on that after three years or worst only realised it after three years then they are at least as much to blame as MON is.  If that is you think only he was agreein to salaries and contract terms with no one in a senior position signing it off.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 01:02:42 PM »
Much as I like RL and the General, we've not handled the last 18months at all well as a Club.

I don't have much faith right now in us attracting or selecting the right Manger - infact when you look at the names listed it's very ordinary.

I very much hope i'm wrong on this but our pulling power for the best Managers just isn't there anymore.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 01:05:33 PM »
Much as I like RL and the General, we've not handled the last 18months at all well as a Club.

I don't have much faith right now in us attracting or selecting the right Manger - infact when you look at the names listed it's very ordinary.

What he said.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 01:07:28 PM »
Faulkner's a liability - he recommended Houllier for the role and for some reason also though Benitez should be considered. Jesus ever heard of learning from your mistakes? 1 duff arrogant aloof dull negative football former Liverpool manager for another. Who next Souness?
Does he actually pay attention too football other than Sky Sports News?

As for the article pile of crap - says nothing but I bet they spent 48 hours contriving it.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 01:10:53 PM »

His dictatorship caused the wage bill to gothrough the roof?  How does that happen then? I would have thought it was the signing of players and agreeing to salaries that did that and the board only got a handle on that after three years or worst only realised it after three years then they are at least as much to blame as MON is.  If that is you think only he was agreein to salaries and contract terms with no one in a senior position signing it off.
What i'm saying is
He was given a free hand and the board took their eye off the ball somewhat, as evidenced by the continual agreement to sign shit on high wages,  I believe that pulling him up about the wage bill was the first time they'd took him to task since he'd been there, he took the hump and walked.
The board are mainly at fault for that, for letting it all get to that stage.

Offline kingstanding villa

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 01:13:21 PM »
Well said Rob Bridge

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 01:14:44 PM »
Ian Taylor has posted some interesting tweets today.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 01:15:35 PM »

This had me thinking the other day to why clubs dont consider locating there training facilities nearer to say London?
If thats what sells it to a player then I cant see any reason why they have to be in the vicinity of the clubs location?

Train all week in the smoke and play at your home ground once a fortnight..
why not?

Maybe beacuse we're not from London.  I'm sentimental like that.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 01:17:12 PM »

What did he have for breakfast?

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 01:19:04 PM »

Did you dislike him for signing Darren Bent without anyone knowing at all, or does Faulkner only do the bad things, and none of the good things at the club?

How about the statement says that don't believe everything you read or hear, and that the club is still looking at every option? That when there is something worth stating they'll state it. And for all us muppets that watch Sky Sports 24/7 - stop, as they know completely fuck all.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 01:23:07 PM »

What did he have for breakfast?

We're in transition, top managers hesitant to come. We still have the makings of a good squad and just need somebody to get the best out of the players.

Offline hulkamania

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 01:31:49 PM »

I very much hope i'm wrong on this but our pulling power for the best Managers just isn't there anymore.
My feelings aswell. Randy and co get a lot of things right. But for whatever reason they seem to be lacking in the hiring department. As always I am more than happy to be proved wrong

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal