collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Matt C
[Today at 12:36:48 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[Today at 12:33:49 AM]

NSWE Investment by tomd2103
[Today at 12:14:34 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 24, 2024, 11:56:03 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Hillbilly
[April 24, 2024, 11:46:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[April 24, 2024, 11:04:47 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[April 24, 2024, 10:35:53 PM]

MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[April 24, 2024, 10:01:13 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Increasing Power of Internet Warriors.  (Read 10127 times)

Online kippaxvilla2

The Increasing Power of Internet Warriors.
« on: June 09, 2011, 11:06:15 AM »
In any other reasonably sized commercial business what owner of that reasonably sized commercial business cancels an interview with a prospective managerial candidate based on the backlash of a rolling 800 people logged onto one of two main unofficial internet forums.  I am all for listening to fans, but this is unprecedented and weak leadership isn't it - whatever we think of the potential incumbent.  I really do miss Steve Stride and I never thought I would say that.

NB - I am sure it was my wally with the brolly comment that finally put it to bed :-)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Re: The Increasing Power of Internet Warriors.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 11:08:16 AM »
In any other reasonably sized commercial business what owner of that reasonably sized commercial business cancels an interview with a prospective managerial candidate based on the backlash of a rolling 800 people logged onto one of two main unofficial internet forums.  I am all for listening to fans, but this is unprecedented and weak leadership isn't it - whatever we think of the potential incumbent.  I really do miss Steve Stride and I never thought I would say that.

NB - I am sure it was my wally with the brolly comment that finally put it to bed :-)

I've been saying this for some time, they hold far too much store by what about 400 internet nerds say across Villa forums.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 11:13:12 AM »
is this ironic or do you seriously believe anyone at the club is influenced by what we say? If thats the case, how come Martinez is still in the running?

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 11:16:06 AM »
Well McLaren has said he's had no contact with Villa at all so perhaps not weak leadership after all.
Not that listening to the concerns of your customers is weak in any way shape or form.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 11:22:51 AM »
Well McLaren has said he's had no contact with Villa at all so perhaps not weak leadership after all.
Not that listening to the concerns of your customers is weak in any way shape or form.

Where is Pat Murphy getting his information from - he isn't making it up is he.  He is a more respected journalist.  Unless it's some elabourate ruse by the club to throw him and others off the scent.  The comment from McLaren is strange as if I were to guess where Murphy got his information from it was from McLaren himself or representatives through the old Derby connections.  And Greg, yes I do.  Read this mornings brief statement.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 11:24:15 AM »
Perhaps they recognise that his appoint ment would of guaranteed a massive fall in season ticket sales.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 11:25:52 AM »
Pat Murphy clearly has a bee in his bonnet ever since MON walked and I wouldn't put it past any journalist to either borrow a story from elsewhere or just make it up to suit.

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 11:26:30 AM »

Where is Pat Murphy getting his information from - he isn't making it up is he.  He is a more respected journalist.

He might not be making it up, but he could well be speculating based on very, very little information.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 11:29:18 AM »
Some people are of course assuming that the club pay any attention to the utter bollocks that most of us write on here.   I think people are giving far too much credence to what any of us might say and as for Pat Murphy suggesting it was our comments re: McClaren then that is just media bullshit of the highest order.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »
Murphy is a sad, bitter man with an axe to grind as the club don't speak to him like they used to under the previous regime.

I thought the criticism of McClaren was over the top, but it's nothing that wouldn't have been said by fans of just about every other top half Premier League team in a similar position.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 11:29:57 AM »
I simply refuse to believe that a reporter as eminent (and Maz I am with you reference MO'N and some bile on his part) as Murphy would stake his reputation on a national radio station and say what he did yesterday if there was not some truth in it.  McLaren saying that this morning is probably more about damage limitation on his part I would suggest.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 11:31:40 AM »
the mind boggles.."respected journalist" is two words you don't see together often. Bit like "considerate rapist", or "honest politician"

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 11:31:50 AM »
If McLaren says there has been no contact why disbelieve him, why would he lie? same for Benitez the club says they havn't spoken to him and i believe them why would they lie? all comes down to instant news where jeournos
have to try and be in front of the game. Without the internet they wouldn't be under the pressure that makes them print rubbish.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 11:31:51 AM »
A theory: Murphy was saying it would be McClaren from very early on, when it turned out to be bollocks he had to have a way of covering his arse so came out with the club bowing to fan pressure story.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 11:33:23 AM »
Murphy is a sad, bitter man with an axe to grind as the club don't speak to him like they used to under the previous regime.

I thought the criticism of McClaren was over the top, but it's nothing that wouldn't have been said by fans of just about every other top half Premier League team in a similar position.

Whilst I agree with your first point, see my above comment.  Don't miss my point re McLaren - I didnt want him as my first choice either, however, mine was more about leadership at the club, if the cancellation of the interview was as a result of the 'backlash'.  Let's put this into context.  There are circa 400-800 people posting (in relative secrecy) on internet message boards at any one time.  There are around 33,000 people who haven't had a say on the face of it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal