collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by paul_e
[Today at 11:40:14 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 11:35:16 AM]

NSWE Investment by dave.woodhall
[Today at 11:33:19 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 11:33:03 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by OCD
[Today at 11:13:37 AM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 11:12:08 AM]

Olympiacos flights by Des Little
[Today at 11:08:37 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:50:46 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa FC - Proud History, Bright Future  (Read 20270 times)

Offline mattjpa

Re: Aston Villa FC - Proud History, Bright Future
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2011, 08:56:39 PM »
Not sure where to post this and don't know how to start a new thread (I don't even know where to find thread categories, but....for a bit of nostalgia angel is playing for la galaxy on espn now, playing well too....

Offline Mostinho II

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2011, 04:29:56 PM »
What's the f**king point?

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2011, 04:47:13 PM »

That's not very nice to Mattjpa!  Perhaps he was associating JPA with our proud history.

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2011, 05:03:01 PM »
Proud History yes  :)  Bright future...errrrrm NOPE!   :'(

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2011, 07:14:50 PM »

None whatsoever may as well all give up and kill ourselves.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2011, 10:27:02 AM »

Utter nonsense! How do you know we dont have a bright future?? You, along with lots of others seem to have bought into this whole sky sports idea that football doesnt exist outside the Champions League. I for one, would rather see our club continue than break itself chasing this bullshit 'ambition'. We clearly cant compete at the moment with the mega-money boys, that doesn't make RL a coward or a cynical exploiter of our collective love of our club. He took a very expensive punt, trusted MON without much interference and it failed. Now he's trying to rescue the situation and all he seems to get from some sections of our support is ignorant, cynical sneering. I get the impression that some people out there secretly love it when we're under pressure as a club and cant wait to get stuck into the board/ manager etc. It's hardly suprising that other fans see us as a bunch of whingers with an over inflated view of our own importance

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2011, 10:39:30 AM »

Utter nonsense! How do you know we dont have a bright future?? You, along with lots of others seem to have bought into this whole sky sports idea that football doesnt exist outside the Champions League. I for one, would rather see our club continue than break itself chasing this bullshit 'ambition'. We clearly cant compete at the moment with the mega-money boys, that doesn't make RL a coward or a cynical exploiter of our collective love of our club. He took a very eexpensive punt, trusted MON without much interference and it failed. Now he's trying to rescue the situation and all he seems to get from some sections of our support is ignorant, cynical sneering. I get the impression that some people out there secretly love it when we're under pressure as a club and cant wait to get stuck into the board/ manager etc. It's hardly suprising that other fans see us as a bunch of whingers with an over inflated view of our own importance

And how do you know we will have a bright future?  No one knows whats install for villa and we are just expressing how we/I feel about it.  At the end of the day, there was a 5 yr plan in place to try and break into the champions league which unfortunately hasn't worked out so now we have to start over all again.  It gets annoying that we continously keep losing our best players every season which puts a holt on our progress as a club.  Yes, I do not want to us to put ourselves in financial difficulty but there is a part of everyone that wants us to be successful as we have been waiting for a very long time for it.  The fact the club are not communicating with the fans is also frustrating more than anything.  We don't know where we stand half the time.  At the end of the day, I spend my hard earned cash at villa just like a number of others out there and all im asking for from the club is some clarity of whats going on thats all and what are our plans moving forward as cleary plan A failed so whats is the new strategy and what can the fans expect.  I would prefer to hear it from AVFC not the press who make up their own stuff.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2011, 10:49:33 AM »

Utter nonsense! How do you know we dont have a bright future?? You, along with lots of others seem to have bought into this whole sky sports idea that football doesnt exist outside the Champions League. I for one, would rather see our club continue than break itself chasing this bullshit 'ambition'. We clearly cant compete at the moment with the mega-money boys, that doesn't make RL a coward or a cynical exploiter of our collective love of our club. He took a very eexpensive punt, trusted MON without much interference and it failed. Now he's trying to rescue the situation and all he seems to get from some sections of our support is ignorant, cynical sneering. I get the impression that some people out there secretly love it when we're under pressure as a club and cant wait to get stuck into the board/ manager etc. It's hardly suprising that other fans see us as a bunch of whingers with an over inflated view of our own importance

And how do you know we will have a bright future?  No one knows whats install for villa and we are just expressing how we/I feel about it.  At the end of the day, there was a 5 yr plan in place to try and break into the champions league which unfortunately hasn't worked out so now we have to start over all again.  It gets annoying that we continously keep losing our best players every season which puts a holt on our progress as a club.  Yes, I do not want to us to put ourselves in financial difficulty but there is a part of everyone that wants us to be successful as we have been waiting for a very long time for it.  The fact the club are not communicating with the fans is also frustrating more than anything.  We don't know where we stand half the time.  At the end of the day, I spend my hard earned cash at villa just like a number of others out there and all im asking for from the club is some clarity of whats going on thats all and what are our plans moving forward as cleary plan A failed so whats is the new strategy and what can the fans expect.  I would prefer to hear it from AVFC not the press who make up their own stuff.

I know how you feel Rick having supported the club from the early 60's. Why cant we all just wait and see what happens pre-season, rather than looking at worst case scenario and assuming it will inevitably go tits up ? I've always thought of AVFC as family and when we're under attack from hostile journos the last thing we should be doing is fuelling the fire by jumping on the  bandwagon and attacking the club on the basis of unsubstantiated rumours 

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2011, 10:52:30 AM »
I know how you feel Rick having supported the club from the early 60's. Why cant we all just wait and see what happens pre-season, rather than looking at worst case scenario and assuming it will inevitably go tits up ? I've always thought of AVFC as family and when we're under attack from hostile journos the last thing we should be doing is fuelling the fire by jumping on the  bandwagon and attacking the club on the basis of unsubstantiated rumours 

This notion that we're the subject of a baying pack of assailants in the form of the press is the stuff of nonsense.

We look like a club in the act of going backward right now because, whatever the reason, that is what we are.

Sell Downing and that's four of our best players in three summers. Every club has to do that some times, but that's not the point, the point is that we're doing it every year without fail.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2011, 01:55:07 PM »
Well put Pauliebentnuts its what most villa fans who i know and myself feel at the moment.

Offline CorkVilla

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2011, 02:10:59 PM »

This notion that we're the subject of a baying pack of assailants in the form of the press is the stuff of nonsense.

We look like a club in the act of going backward right now because, whatever the reason, that is what we are.

Sell Downing and that's four of our best players in three summers. Every club has to do that some times, but that's not the point, the point is that we're doing it every year without fail.

We wouldn't be selling the players if they weren't desperate to go. Why do they want  to leave us so much? Because they see far greater prospects of winning trophies and developing their careers at clubs like Liverpool and Man Utd.

It's not a problem that has only arisen in the last few seasons but has been there for about 20 years now. As fondly as we all remember 82, it means diddley squat to most premiership players who were not even born back then.

In most peoples minds Villa are associated with continual failure and underachievement, a graveyard for ambition. I don't know if you can pin the blame for that on any one person or group of people, it's just the way it is.

The 'proud history, bright future' thing gave us all a warm fuzzy feeling for a while, maby made a few people go to a few more games or buy a replica shirt again, but it was total bullshit really.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 02:15:39 PM by CorkVilla »

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2011, 02:26:04 PM »
The Downing saga or lack of it sums it up, Look how fans were engaged about Barry and then to a lesser extent Milner. Now we are making some sort of statement by playing it tough on Downing, pathetic. 
If the Club do have a strategy its probably one that they dare not comunicate openly.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2011, 02:41:51 PM »
Proud history, doughnut. prob our best forward of the recent era live on tv. Makes me proud, you know?

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2011, 04:25:44 PM »
'Proud history, great marketing slogan.'

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal