collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa FC - Proud History, Bright Future  (Read 20268 times)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Aston Villa FC - Proud History, Bright Future
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 03:31:43 PM »

When did we become Manchester United? I ask this question as there seems to be a lot of our supporters just lately convinced we have some divine right to success and who get very upset when it doesn't happen. 

Surely we have as much right to success as Manchester United or any other club?

We may not have as much right to success but we certainly should have the same right to compete.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 03:38:14 PM »
The 'proud history, bright future' Gumpf served it's purpose.
It created a feelgood factor without ever having any real substance behind it.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 03:42:54 PM »
I noticed walking through the White Rose shopping centre in Leeds that they too have adopted "Proud History, Bright Future" as their slogan for their current season ticket push.

The robdog tramps.

Offline Outcast2006

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 03:51:33 PM »
At least we're not Leeds .  Oh wait.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »
Everton gave a chance to Moyes. Spurs gave a chance to Redknapp. We gave chances to Sir Brian and Sir Graham. None of those managers (yes, yes  Harry won 1 FA Cup) had really pulled up any trees at the top level before they went onto good careers at the top level of English football. Maybe Martinez has it in him to get to that level given the right circumstances.

Offline eastie

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 04:02:23 PM »
i think the board gave it their best shot and we maybe a darren bent away from cracking it a couplle of years ago- sadly the dream is well and truly dead and we must scrap for 7th to 10th at best for the foreseeable future i feel- at least we have our memories of the glory years- well some of us do!

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 04:04:53 PM »
Everton gave a chance to Moyes. Spurs gave a chance to Redknapp. We gave chances to Sir Brian and Sir Graham. None of those managers (yes, yes  Harry won 1 FA Cup) had really pulled up any trees at the top level before they went onto good careers at the top level of English football. Maybe Martinez has it in him to get to that level given the right circumstances.

You only have to look at what Mourinho has achieved to see that Martinez might not be the worst option.  I like Martinez, he had Swansea playing attractive football and I don't think he's done too bad at Wigan considering the restraints he's working under.  Imagine having to sell a club to a potential recruit by saying "do  well here and you might get signed by a big club".  I'm surprised he's stuck with Wigan for so long, there must be a certain loyalty to Whelan which might be something RL is attracted to.   

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 04:09:48 PM »
"do  well here and you might get signed by a big club"

At the moment, that might actually be true of our current players and new recruits!

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 06:05:38 PM »
"do  well here and you might get signed by a big club"

At the moment, that might actually be true of our current players and new recruits!

That's exactly the level we're at right now.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2011, 06:11:52 PM »

Jesus Christ, when are people going to stop using shit comparisons as justification for this absolutely dire potential appointment?  All of those managers did a damn sight better than being the second lowest scorers in the Premier League two years running, being spanked on a regular basis, and staying up by the skin of their teeth.  If we'd had a manager who'd been in charge for a 9-1 and an 8-0 defeat in the same season, he'd have been strung up by now.

Wigan might try and pass the ball a bit, but they don't score any goals, concede a shit load, and hardly win any games.  Most of Martinez's signings have been crap as well.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
I noticed walking through the White Rose shopping centre in Leeds

It's like Hull with a roof that place. Horrible.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 06:52:04 PM »
Somehow due to beg, borrow and stealing, ST is renewed.  Cant wait until the next home game.  Come on you Villa Boys
I'm with you Moet! I have my favourites for the manager post but that doesn't really matter. Season just ended, but I'm gagging for the new one to start! Whoever is appointed should get our full support. It will be interestin to see what new players come in and how we play without Ash. It's exciting!

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 06:55:55 PM »
I noticed walking through the White Rose shopping centre in Leeds

It's like Hull with a roof that place. Horrible.

Worse chavs as well! IMHO

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2011, 07:05:34 PM »

Jesus Christ, when are people going to stop using shit comparisons as justification for this absolutely dire potential appointment?  All of those managers did a damn sight better than being the second lowest scorers in the Premier League two years running, being spanked on a regular basis, and staying up by the skin of their teeth.  If we'd had a manager who'd been in charge for a 9-1 and an 8-0 defeat in the same season, he'd have been strung up by now.

Wigan might try and pass the ball a bit, but they don't score any goals, concede a shit load, and hardly win any games.  Most of Martinez's signings have been crap as well.

firstly as it's a "potential appointment" it means we haven't actually made the appointment, so stop being so dramatic. Second, they are all legitimate comparisons. Each of those managers when given greater resources improved. Your entire logic is that Martinez will always operate at this level so he will never be qualified for a job like ours. My argument is that maybe he's learning and will improve given that opportunity.

As I've said, he's not close to being my number one choice because there are more accomplished candidates. But even though he's had two disappointing years at the top level at Wigan shouldn't make him untouchable either. If that's the case, Spurs would never have hired Redknapp, because up until the FA Cup he was awful.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2011, 07:59:08 PM »

As I've said, he's not close to being my number one choice because there are more accomplished candidates. But even though he's had two disappointing years at the top level at Wigan shouldn't make him untouchable either. If that's the case, Spurs would never have hired Redknapp, because up until the FA Cup he was awful.

Apart from finishing 5th and 8th with West Ham, taking them into Europe, developing one of the finest generations of English footballers, and winning the Championship, finishing 9th (their highest league position in 50 years) and winning the FA Cup with Portsmouth you mean?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal