collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa FC - Proud History, Bright Future  (Read 20242 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Aston Villa FC - Proud History, Bright Future
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 12:07:47 PM »
However, when Randy took over there was this vision of a "Bright Future" sold to the fans and we made steps towards getting there under MON. Since he left there is the feeling that Randy thinks it's too hard so realise the "Bright Future" and what remains is some sort of cloudy future.

Since he left Randy has spent £24m on a striker.

The way I see it is we were on our way for the first three years under MON.  Getting into Europe, buying exciting young players and actually getting nice things said about us in the media.  Then in the 4th year, despite on the field results still being good, we had some issues between the manager and chairman.  In truth the rate of improvement had slowed down and we were in danger of stagnating.  And although I'm a fan of his, it was probably right to change the manager if that was the case.  Problem being that they didn't realise this and tried to make it work, which they couldn't and it all came to a head 5 days before the season started.  We then have a manager who does a debatable job, but after he has a chance to bring some of his own players in we're back to more or less top 6 form.  He then gets ill and can't continue.  And that is what's lead to threads like this where we're doubting what is to come, which have been multiplied by the link to Martinez as manager.

So, what is it we expect?  Further turmoil as in the last 12-months or investment and progress as per the previous 4 years?  Did we think it would be a steady and even rise to glory or that we'd have to ride out the rough bits like every club does?

The ultimate question is do we still have a bright future?  Lets see who the new manager is and what money he's given before we decide.  Time for this thread is 01/09/11.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
However, when Randy took over there was this vision of a "Bright Future" sold to the fans and we made steps towards getting there under MON. Since he left there is the feeling that Randy thinks it's too hard so realise the "Bright Future" and what remains is some sort of cloudy future.

The way I see it is we were on our way for the first three years under MON.  Getting into Europe, buying exciting young players and actually getting nice things said about us in the media.  Then in the 4th year, despite on the field results still being good, we had some issues between the manager and chairman.  In truth the rate of improvement had slowed down and we were in danger of stagnating.  And although I'm a fan of his, it was probably right to change the manager if that was the case.  Problem being that they didn't realise this and tried to make it work, which they couldn't and it all came to a head 5 days before the season started.  We then have a manager who does a debatable job, but after he has a chance to bring some of his own players in we're back to more or less top 6 form.  He then gets ill and can't continue.  And that is what's lead to threads like this where we're doubting what is to come, which have been multiplied by the link to Martinez as manager.

So, what is it we expect?  Further turmoil as in the last 12-months or investment and progress as per the previous 4 years?  Did we think it would be a steady and even rise to glory or that we'd have to ride out the rough bits like every club does?

The ultimate question is do we still have a bright future?  Lets see who the new manager is and what money he's given before we decide.  Time for this thread is 01/09/11.

Spot on.  Keep calm and carry on.......

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 12:32:23 PM »

The Bent money was more or less just the Milner money reinvested.

But the rest of your post is fair enough, except I would put down Houllier as a major error. My other major concern is that our rivals of the 09/10 season (City, Spurs, Liverpool) all seem to be moving well beyond us. But you are right, the time to judge is after the summer window is shut.

Early indications dont look good though. I know it's only rumours from the press, but it's all we got.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 12:37:58 PM »
When did we become Manchester United?
We're not Man Utd, but we should be a regular top 6 side, we need to get back there quickly and Martinez isn't the man to do it.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 12:40:23 PM »
As Chris Smith said yesterday, appointing Martinez would be confirmation that we've accepted our position in the pecking order as alongside Fulham and Sunderland.

:(

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 12:44:10 PM »
When did we become Manchester United? I ask this question as there seems to be a lot of our supporters just lately convinced we have some divine right to success and who get very upset when it doesn't happen. 
How funny you say that Dave, I said the exact same thing earlier.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 12:48:15 PM »
My other major concern is that our rivals of the 09/10 season (City, Spurs, Liverpool) all seem to be moving well beyond us.

It would probably have only been 3 years ago under Ramos when Spurs fans were probably saying the same about us.  Whether they've truely moved beyond us or just had a better season will become clear soon, but lets wait and see. 

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 12:48:36 PM »

"Just"?

We smashed our transfer record at a time when the general perception was that didn't have 2 cents to rub together. I don't think that is something that we should downplay the significance of.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 12:49:02 PM »
Outcast2006, i agree with you 100%

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 12:58:14 PM »

"Just"?

We smashed our transfer record at a time when the general perception was that didn't have 2 cents to rub together. I don't think that is something that we should downplay the significance of.

My point was that we lost 1 star player, got in 1 star player, albeit 6 months too late. We're about to lose another star player (maybe more). If Randy doesnt want to put any more of his own money into the club that's fair enough, he has put a lot in already. But IF that is the case, were looking at finishing 7th-10th at best. But John M is right, we should wait until the end of Aug before any judgments can be made....then again this is an internet forum, so why not speculate away...................

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 02:46:48 PM »
As Chris Smith said yesterday, appointing Martinez would be confirmation that we've accepted our position in the pecking order as alongside Fulham and Sunderland.

I dont normally agree with Chris - but hes right in my view.

Offline remy

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
I do not believe we are manure or that we have a divine right to succes

I believed the board when they suggested that we were aiming to bring back our glory days.  I guess when they said that some of us though back to competing at the top of the table when in fact the board meant the glory days of top half finishes and the odd good cup run.

I BELIEVED the board too !!

Just a difference of historical thinking I guess

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 03:03:11 PM »
When did we become Manchester United? I ask this question as there seems to be a lot of our supporters just lately convinced we have some divine right to success and who get very upset when it doesn't happen. 

Can I associate myself with the remarks of my learned friend here?

Offline remy

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 03:04:41 PM »

A slightly depressing synopsis there, but there are some fair points in there, being a diehard Villa fan, who is a season ticket holder and been a fan for over 30-years I've seen a lot of changes.

The general consensus of people outside the club is that Villa fans are largely a bunch of hard to please, whinging, demanding lot. 

Should we be bothered by that view?  There is nothing wrong with demanding the best things possible for our football club, but I do have to admit that a lot of us do take it to a whole new level.  By saying things like 'i won't go to Villa if Person A, B, or C are manager, really is not helpful is it.  If you've seen half a dozen games and we are generally woeful then fair enough, but to castigate people before we've had a chance to see their work is pretty poor.

I've seen posts saying that people will stop supporting Villa, or going to games if Mclaren, Benitez, Coyle, Martinez are appointed, I mean, what's the point of that?  But people of that mindset, of the mindset to criticise and to actively boo and not support our own team and players has become more and more prevalent over the recent years.  I've been a season ticket holder for over 20-years and although we gave people like Cascarino, Ormondroyd, Callaghan stick, at least it was done after we'd seen them play a few times and fully deserved  These days we're on a players back after half an hour on the pitch, and on a managers back within a couple of weeks, or in this case, before they've even arrived at the club!

I don't live in Birmingham, and I hear peoples views on Villa from afar, people not from Birmingham, and I tell you, Villa fans are known for being moaners, and generally as not great backers of their team.  Opposition managers know that if they can keep things tight for 20-minutes then us fans are going to start to crucify our own players, sapping their confidence and giving the oppostition a boost, this is a factor in why our home record has been so average in the past couple of seasons I am certain.

We have some great great fans at Villa, I know, I sit with lots and lots of them and most of the people i've sat next to over the years have been fantastic, but there's an increasingly vocal voice of negativity at the club which is hanging over the club.

So, whoever is appointed, whatever our first impressions are and preconceived notions are, GIVE THEM A BLOODY CHANCE, support them, and if by November things aren't good, THEN criticise, but please, let's be positive, let's encourage, and let's see how the new man does, whoever it may be.

I would never boo the team when they are playing, a few twats sitting next to me in the lower Trinity do that.

I dont beleive Martinez is the right man to take this club where we want to be - Top 6 again. Im going by his previous records in the top flight, you cant include Swansea - they were in a different division! If he becomes our manager - fine, he will get my support but I think the board here is making an appointment mistake, like Houllier.

I doubt he will be able to attract the kind of player we want to see at VP.

Im all for giving them a chance but with the negativity surrounding the club at the moment, its hardly going to make us feel enthusiastic with the calibre manager of Martinez. A continental manager with pedigree will attract the kind of players we want. With Randy and the cheque book open, a damn good kit, all the deadwood players moved on, a full house on the first day of the new season and things are bright again. Its a long way off right now.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 03:18:14 PM »

Surely we have as much right to success as Manchester United or any other club?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal