collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa FC - Proud History, Bright Future  (Read 20121 times)

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
Aston Villa FC - Proud History, Bright Future
« on: June 09, 2011, 11:00:31 AM »
Yes I believed that spiel in the heady days of MON's appointment back in 06'. New Owner, New manager, New players, loads and loads of changes (mostly positive) and the previous regime swept away like an old carpet. Oh how we sang! Oh how we drank! Oh how rejoiced as that 2nd goal by Barry against Reading on that bright new dawn day signalled the start of something special.

For a few years I lived the dream as we floated top 4-6 with the annual collapse around spring as expected as a turned down penalty appeal at Old trafford. We were sooo close to Champions league qualification...you could smell it...but as is the nature of AVFC they find even more ways to contrive to let you down. (The Stoke 2-2 post Moscow particularly).

More players (but not actually playing), more elaborate ways to let us down. And then the request for even MORE players!

And then Mr Faeces, let me introduce Mr Fan. Good Afternoon Mr 7-1 soul destroying defeat to no-longer their bogey side chelski! Hello Mr 6-0 defeat to recently promoted Championship side! Hello Mr defeated in derbies! Make yourselves home !

Taking stock on this warm June day in 2011 comparing notes to my Norwich supporting friend about our respective teams and I realised this will be the 25th season of supporting Aston Villa Football Club. And as ever we are again at the start of another 3-4 year cycle and the search for a new man to take the helm. Another "transition year".

This is not another Manager thread boys.

Announced this morning that Martinez is in the running. I don’t dislike the fellow personally and I don’t think his teams play vomit inducing football like Allardyce sides, however I do think the appointment is uninspired as other candidates have either ruled themselves out or we are not being ambitious enough. Picking a manager who has managed to "keep" Wigan in the top flight aswell as conceding 10 goals in his first 2 games of the season doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in our requisite to hit the champions league in the near future. More like keep us IN the Premier League at all costs.

We are about to lose our best player for the 3rd consecutive year now, so fears that we are a "feeder" club for the top 4 cant be ignored now. "Keeping our best players" is now something what my kids do with Trading cards.

We have no new sponsor, whether a corporation wants to associate with a club with no recognised No.9 as a star centre forward, slapstick centre halves, 2 full backs that would be shot elsewhere, a ponderous midfield and Emile Heskey is open to debate. I can’t see the blue chips queuing up for this one.

I turn to solace in the beautiful Claret and Blue shirt. What’s that you say? Not available until November? Chequered pattern you say? It seems like asking the cosmos to align differently or the sun rising in the west for a simple Claret and Blue offering and available to purchase in July.

Season tickets must be slower than a Petrov turn and pass.

When you see a club like Barcelona, the way they play to some of the shite served up by BOTH teams at B6 last season its like another planet. The sad thing is back in 1982 we weren’t that far off.

Right now the ONCE proud history, and so so bright future I can see is for us to lower our expectations on a top 6 finish anymore as we now have to displace Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs for 4th, 5th and 6th. I think us STAYING in the top flight to make up the numbers is the summit of our ambition now that you get £30m for finishing 17th.

Roll on the fixture list in 8 days.

Offline mattjpa

Re: Aston Villa FC - Proud History, Bright Future
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 11:06:40 AM »
 That is a very depressing read. I'm glad I'm not you....

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 11:06:57 AM »
As Chris Smith said yesterday, appointing Martinez would be confirmation that we've accepted our position in the pecking order as alongside Fulham and Sunderland.

Offline john robsons sideburns

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 11:08:33 AM »

A slightly depressing synopsis there, but there are some fair points in there, being a diehard Villa fan, who is a season ticket holder and been a fan for over 30-years I've seen a lot of changes.

The general consensus of people outside the club is that Villa fans are largely a bunch of hard to please, whinging, demanding lot. 

Should we be bothered by that view?  There is nothing wrong with demanding the best things possible for our football club, but I do have to admit that a lot of us do take it to a whole new level.  By saying things like 'i won't go to Villa if Person A, B, or C are manager, really is not helpful is it.  If you've seen half a dozen games and we are generally woeful then fair enough, but to castigate people before we've had a chance to see their work is pretty poor.

I've seen posts saying that people will stop supporting Villa, or going to games if Mclaren, Benitez, Coyle, Martinez are appointed, I mean, what's the point of that?  But people of that mindset, of the mindset to criticise and to actively boo and not support our own team and players has become more and more prevalent over the recent years.  I've been a season ticket holder for over 20-years and although we gave people like Cascarino, Ormondroyd, Callaghan stick, at least it was done after we'd seen them play a few times and fully deserved  These days we're on a players back after half an hour on the pitch, and on a managers back within a couple of weeks, or in this case, before they've even arrived at the club!

I don't live in Birmingham, and I hear peoples views on Villa from afar, people not from Birmingham, and I tell you, Villa fans are known for being moaners, and generally as not great backers of their team.  Opposition managers know that if they can keep things tight for 20-minutes then us fans are going to start to crucify our own players, sapping their confidence and giving the oppostition a boost, this is a factor in why our home record has been so average in the past couple of seasons I am certain.

We have some great great fans at Villa, I know, I sit with lots and lots of them and most of the people i've sat next to over the years have been fantastic, but there's an increasingly vocal voice of negativity at the club which is hanging over the club.

So, whoever is appointed, whatever our first impressions are and preconceived notions are, GIVE THEM A BLOODY CHANCE, support them, and if by November things aren't good, THEN criticise, but please, let's be positive, let's encourage, and let's see how the new man does, whoever it may be.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 11:11:25 AM »
New shirt and sponser in next 2 weeks. And a new manager.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 11:13:35 AM »
When did we become Manchester United? I ask this question as there seems to be a lot of our supporters just lately convinced we have some divine right to success and who get very upset when it doesn't happen. 

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 11:14:37 AM »
Somehow due to beg, borrow and stealing, ST is renewed.  Cant wait until the next home game.  Come on you Villa Boys

Offline Outcast2006

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 11:19:11 AM »
I do not believe we are manure or that we have a divine right to succes

I believed the board when they suggested that we were aiming to bring back our glory days.  I guess when they said that some of us though back to competing at the top of the table when in fact the board meant the glory days of top half finishes and the odd good cup run.

Just a difference of historical thinking I guess

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 11:26:29 AM »
When did we become Manchester United? I ask this question as there seems to be a lot of our supporters just lately convinced we have some divine right to success and who get very upset when it doesn't happen. 

I think that is an unfair statement. There are very few sane Villa fans who believe we have a divine right to success.

However, when Randy took over there was this vision of a "Bright Future" sold to the fans and we made steps towards getting there under MON. Since he left there is the feeling that Randy thinks it's too hard so realise the "Bright Future" and what remains is some sort of cloudy future.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 11:34:05 AM »
There's a lot of shooting from the hip on this forum lately. 

Nobody knows anything apart from the board but we are willing to accept on the strength of Whelan saying to a reporter we have been given permission to speak to Martinez that Martinez will naturally be the next manager. 

Are there odds anywhere on Martinez not being our next manager?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 11:35:37 AM »

On the flip side, when dd we become Stoke City, just happy to make up the numbers? 

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 11:40:13 AM »
in the next 14 days we will have: A new manager; a new signing; the fixture list; and players signing new contracts.

And everything will feel real again.

Offline pmarachi

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 11:50:51 AM »

I agree with this statement 100%

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »
As Chris Smith said yesterday, appointing Martinez would be confirmation that we've accepted our position in the pecking order as alongside Fulham and Sunderland.

To be fair I disd say IF we appoint him and that I'm far from convinced that we will.

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 12:02:11 PM »

Indeed.

People moaned for a new Board and and new outlook after Ellis, and indeed we have one. For some God unknown reason since, some are spouting more off that he is nothing but smoke and mirrors, even after the outlay and the advancements we have made since. He  may have made a mistake to a certain extent last season in and indeed trusting the previous incumbent far too much.

The mind boggles.... let's just wait and see.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal