collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Transfer Kitty  (Read 12121 times)

Offline UsualSuspect

Re: Transfer Kitty
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 10:52:38 AM »
Some articles saying Rafa wanted 60m - lol.

New GK - 10 million
Centre half - 10 million
central midfielder - 10 million
AY replacement - 10 million plus

60 million wouldnt have been taking the piss IMO

That is around the type of investment needed unless we're happy to remain mid-table mediocrity...at best!

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 10:56:12 AM »
We are not going to give away how much we have to spend to a potential manager who, if not appointed, is then free to blab it to the press.

I imagine they have to give a manager some sort of ballpark budget figure otherwise you can't tell them what your hoping to achieve

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 10:57:20 AM »
Some articles saying Rafa wanted 60m - lol.

New GK - 10 million
Centre half - 10 million
central midfielder - 10 million
AY replacement - 10 million plus

That is around the type of investment needed unless we're happy to remain mid-table mediocrity...at best!

"60 million wouldnt have been taking the piss IMO"

Not including wages though.......or a left back.

Offline Summers

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 12:00:43 PM »
I forgot every player in the world costs 10m minimum. Sorry. My bad.

Offline Outcast2006

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 12:16:44 PM »
Our transfer kitty = Our squad.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 12:27:11 PM »

So what do you suggest einstein???

Continually spending 5-6 million on players only to find out that they are rubbish so we let them go for nothing or at a massive loss?

So tell me how much you would expect to pay for say paul Robinson or Ben Foster?

How much would you expect to pay for say Samba?

How about a creative midfielder?

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 12:36:20 PM »
You can spend £1m on a player and he turns out to be the dogs bits, and spend £50m on a player who turns out to be a let down. Obviously the more you spend, the better chance of getting quality, but it pretty far from nailed on. Our best 3 players in the last 25 years, McGrath 400K, Platt 200k, Yorke 100k. Admittedly transfer fees were much lower then, but with the exception of Macca, the other 2 were peanuts even then. In terms of what we need to progress, who knows? A manager that can spot a bargain would be a good start but there's no reason why £10m + what we get in wouldn't put us back on track with O'Neills acheivements, spent well.

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 12:40:37 PM »
It all depends on the extent of our ambition.

If we want to be up there punching with the big boys, I think we would need to spend in excess of £40 mill this summer. If Spurs, City and Liverpool are spending big money on the likes of Modric, Silva and now Henderson, we have to at least match that kind of spending.

If not we are fighting for the 7th-10th places.

Offline Summers

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 01:00:53 PM »

So what do you suggest einstein???

Continually spending 5-6 million on players only to find out that they are rubbish so we let them go for nothing or at a massive loss?

So tell me how much you would expect to pay for say paul Robinson or Ben Foster?

How much would you expect to pay for say Samba?

How about a creative midfielder?

Thanks for the sarcastic "Einstein", next time just say a petty insult like you're thinking.

We could spent 10m on Foster, around 7m on Robinson and whatever silly price Samba is, true. Or we could shop around, look around, see what's happening. There's hundreds of leagues out there with good players in. I wouldn't remotely be after Samba. Arsenal will be, among others, so why would we get lured into a bidding war.

I would look to spend big on a goalkeeper, that's one area we shouldn't skimp. Of course, there are many good keepers available for less than 10m. We were apparently after Ali Al Habsi. I've been wishing us to sign Jussi for years - he wouldn't have cost 10m.

I imagine there's dozens of talented creative players playing around the world that would cost less than 10m and 60k wages. And no, don't ask me for examples. That isn't what I'm paid for. It's what our "scouts" are paid for. And it's what they don't go. People are talking about Wigan a lot, due to Martinez. They'd brought in Valencia, Rodallega and Diame for a combined like, what, 14m? That's what scouting systems can do. It's what we should be doing. I don't want to spend 10m on Samba when we could drop 5m on a player just as good plying his trade outside of England.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2011, 01:37:04 PM »
We havent been able to do that over the past 5 seasons so what has changed now?

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 02:14:36 PM »
We havent been able to do that over the past 5 seasons so what has changed now?

Well, the manager is about to be, or had you forgot!!

;)

Offline ExclDawg

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 04:17:38 PM »
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but last night I heard Pat Murphy on Radio 5 saying that Benitez was spoken to about managing us and had asked for a £30 million transfer kitty and this was turned down.

Bearing in mind that AY should bring in 15, does this mean that Randy aint going stump up 15 million??

Honestly, when interviewing a guy for any business, you don't want to hand the keys over to the guy that says he needs £30M to improve, because the next thing he'll ask for is another £30M.  You take the guy who tells you he can make due with what you have, and THEN you hand him £30M.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 04:35:41 PM »
if a would be manager fails an interview, he may want to save face, so says a transfer kitty is not big enough?  Just a thought?  I for one dont want every poxy team in the world knowing how much or how little we have to spend.  That is just crazy talk.  People are making up stories as Villa as ever are not telling anyone anything.  That doesnt sell papers, but it makes us very respectable and doing things in a good, and careful way in my opinion.  I trust our men to get the best possible solution for Villa.  Not for Talkshite, or Man U fans, or R5 or SkySports.  Long may it continue.  If a guy wants to bring players in, I want to know what he is going to do with players not in his plans, how he will trim wage bill and maximise revenue.  I dont want a team running on 107% turnover on wages a la City otherwise we have a crazy owner.  And Randy doesnt come across crazy.  Infact far from it.  He seems like someone I would like to work for, and im glad he owns my team.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2011, 04:37:31 PM »
I don't believe for one nano second that Rafa said
'I'll take the job, but I want a £30m transfer budget.'

And even if he did, Prat Murphy would be the last person to know about it.

Offline LamBeast

• GM : Apr, 2013
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2011, 05:19:10 PM »
I don't believe for one nano second that Rafa said
'I'll take the job, but I want a £30m transfer budget.'

And even if he did, Prat Murphy would be the last person to know about it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1221975/Rafa-Benitezs-229m-spending-spree-The-76-players-signed-Liverpool-managers-reign.html

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal