collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: DoF  (Read 8028 times)

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
DoF
« on: June 07, 2011, 05:44:49 PM »
Just listening to talksport debating Villa.

A spurs fan made a really interesting point,

He said Villa are stuck in the same position Spurs were about 5 years ago. He said mangers like Redknapp and Oneil etc can't identify the type of player needed to take us to the next level.
He reckons having a director of football you identify and attract players we never would have without one.

They were debating the posibility of MON returning and he said that he would garentee us a top half finish but could not take us that next step, because he cannot identify the type of players needed bar the obvious expensive ones.

What do people think, because in theory it sounds perfect, have a great man manger like Martin as manger with someone else identifying targets.

Offline Outcast2006

Re: DoF
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 05:49:16 PM »
DOF would not work for us IMO. Needs to be on man in charge of team affairs and for me,  again just my opinion,  having the confusion of a DOF would not work.  In addition,  and again just my opinion,  I would guess any manger of a decentish standard wouldn't want a dof looking over his shoulder.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 05:50:19 PM »
What about a manager who can do both?

Besides the job you described as that of a DoF could equally be done by a scouting network.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 05:53:54 PM »
I don't think DOF works and as far as I was aware Spurs don't have one. They have a chairman who 'Arry reckons does all the buying and selling and he doesn't really know whats going on, if you believe all his shrugging and twitching every transfer window interview. Personally I don't believe it.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 05:55:46 PM »
No need.  Just appoint a good manager.  Benitez wants it, get him in and let's start work on the squad.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 05:59:55 PM »
Who's Harry Redknapp's director of football then?  I know they had that Comolli bloke, but he left around the same time as Redknapp started.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 06:13:29 PM »
Who's Harry Redknapp's director of football then?  I know they had that Comolli bloke, but he left around the same time as Redknapp started.

Comolli went to Liverpool I think, old Harry has his own methods of scouting players.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 06:13:34 PM »
Officially Tottingham don't have a DOF anymore, do they?

At least that was the line peddled when Redknapp took over, they were doing away with it and giving 'arry total control.

Reading between the lines though, I'm not sure that's definitely the case. Keane was signed and didn't really feature on return from Liverpool. And some of the last minute bids that went in for players -be it Van der Vaart (which was ultimately successful) and Adam (not so) seemed to catch the twitchy MF offguard. But perhaps he was just being enigmatic, the lovable scamp.

Online darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 06:19:52 PM »
I like the idea of the manager doing the transfers I'm old school I wouldn't want a DOF.

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 06:26:09 PM »

McClaren's rise to fame was as coach under Sir Alex.  Perhaps he could do a good job with the right DOF.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 06:31:23 PM »
I understand that Harry just says yes or no to a player, everything else is sorted out behind the scene.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 06:40:34 PM »
Officially Tottingham don't have a DOF anymore, do they?

At least that was the line peddled when Redknapp took over, they were doing away with it and giving 'arry total control.

Reading between the lines though, I'm not sure that's definitely the case. Keane was signed and didn't really feature on return from Liverpool. And some of the last minute bids that went in for players -be it Van der Vaart (which was ultimately successful) and Adam (not so) seemed to catch the twitchy MF offguard. But perhaps he was just being enigmatic, the lovable scamp.

I think you should get on board 'Arry's legal team this summer - Tax evasion? He was just being enigmatic your honour, he's just a loveable scamp.

Offline olofmilosevic

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 06:44:08 PM »
why even talk about the idea of that complete wanker returning? A DoF is a good idea but the DoF and manager NEED to be on the same page!

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 07:41:56 PM »

Good managers don't need a DOF, in fact the best managers are quite dictatorial in management styles.

SAF, Mourinhio would'nt put up with a DOF.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 07:46:29 PM »
I like the idea tbh, if the signings are bad you replace the DoF if results are bad you replace the head coach but you'll rarely have to replace both together so it gives you continuity.  It's a great way of creating a club style that goes through all levels.  The problem with a traditional approach is that you can end up with reserves and youth that don't fit the first team.  I think we've suffered from this a little recently as the reserves had a very different style to the first team whilst mon was here.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal