collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by AV82EC
[Today at 04:35:28 PM]

NSWE Investment by AV82EC
[Today at 04:33:02 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 04:33:00 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 04:29:07 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Hookeysmith
[Today at 04:27:23 PM]

150 celebrations by Dave P
[Today at 04:16:04 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 04:09:00 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by Villan82
[Today at 04:07:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Martin The Great  (Read 16545 times)

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
Re: Martin The Great
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 03:39:20 PM »
What could he point to at interview that would indicate he not only knew exactly what it took to be a successful manager of a Premier League club but that he also knew how to carry it out?  I'm not saying it's impossible John but the likelihood is that he would be a failure.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 03:59:53 PM »
It would be insanity to take somebody on with zero management experience.

I love Martin as much as anybody, but it takes more than passion to run a Premier League club.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 04:01:18 PM »
What could he point to at interview that would indicate he not only knew exactly what it took to be a successful manager of a Premier League club but that he also knew how to carry it out?

Well, he could talk about what he has learnt from the managers he has played under, about his vision for how he'd like us to play, where he sees the weaknesses in our side are and how he'd go about fixing them. 

I think he'd make a good manager as he speaks intelligently and also has a real passion about him, which should combine to make him a great motivator, which is a key component of football management.  As I said good coaches like Sid and K-Mac can help with the technical side of things he'd have little experience of and a DOF to guide him through the transfer market.

It's pretty accademic as I don't expect this to happen, but I do think it's not the 'doomed to failiure' move others do.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 04:13:40 PM »
If he needs two coaches to help with the technical side, and a DoF to do the transfer market bit, what does he do as manager?

Laursen was a great player for us, but he's got a long, long way to go before he should ever be considered as our manager.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 04:22:27 PM »
Which manager would have him as no 2.

We never tried an unknown manager or player manager. We always have a manager with some experience.  I know We should have Martin as manager with Sir Brian Little as no 2. Can that work.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 04:33:21 PM »
Gareth Southgate was an intelligent lad who was a great defender for Villa.  Anybody like to see his name mentioned as taking over?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 04:54:44 PM »
Gareth Southgate was an intelligent lad who was a great defender for Villa.  Anybody like to see his name mentioned as taking over?

That's because he wasn't a very good manager at Middleborough, but just because one ex centre half didn't take to management does not mean another one won't.

Offline Risso

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 04:57:38 PM »

That's because he wasn't a very good manager at Middleborough, but just because one ex centre half didn't take to management does not mean another one won't.

Well, let's let Laursen prove himself elsewhere before we let sentiment get in the way off good sense. 

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 05:05:17 PM »
He should try a danish team or work in our academy to learn the rope, and be ready to step in when we need to replace the manager after the new one. (That probably be about 9 years)

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 05:07:12 PM »

One reason so many successful players don't make it in management is that they get thrown into management at too high a level to start with.

Southgate, who is undoubtedly intelligent and erudite, is now considered to be a failure in management, having started out in too big a job. Shearer, having taken the Newcastle job even for a short while, is going to be considered the same way, I imagine.

I understand why players take jobs like those when they're offered as a first step into management - it must be flattering - but I wonder how many potentially really good managers get ruined by going that way, rather than starting off and learning their trade further down the leagues.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 05:12:24 PM »
So then, once every great manager in existence today has shuffled off their mortal coil- that will be the end of football as we know it?

Just where is the next exceptional manager going to come from, if no-one is willing to try out someone with no experience, but great intelligence, passion and knowledge of the game?

Not necessarily saying it's Martin, but who knows?

Offline Risso

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »

One reason so many successful players don't make it in management is that they get thrown into management at too high a level to start with.

Southgate, who is undoubtedly intelligent and erudite, is now considered to be a failure in management, having started out in too big a job. Shearer, having taken the Newcastle job even for a short while, is going to be considered the same way, I imagine.

I understand why players take jobs like those when they're offered as a first step into management - it must be flattering - but I wonder how many potentially really good managers get ruined by going that way, rather than starting off and learning their trade further down the leagues.

That's the point I was making earlier.  Of all the Premier League managers, how many are ex-players who went straight from a top side into management, and how many cut their teeth elsewhere?

You've got managers like Redknapp, Hodgson, Bruce and even Martinez who have managed in the lower leagues.  Then you've got the aforementioned Southgate, Shearer and also Roy Keane who stepped straight into jobs at big clubs, and all failed.

Offline Risso

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 05:20:02 PM »
So then, once every great manager in existence today has shuffled off their mortal coil- that will be the end of football as we know it?

Just where is the next exceptional manager going to come from, if no-one is willing to try out someone with no experience, but great intelligence, passion and knowledge of the game?

From a team further down the league, where all the decent current managers have come from, which is the whole point.  Let Laursen go and be a coach somewhere for a year, then get a manager's job at somewhere like Sheffield Wednesday for a couple of years.  That'll tell you far more about his ability than giving him £30m to play with in the Premier League.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2011, 05:21:17 PM »

That's fair enough, but when they're tried out at the higher levels of the game, and fail, they very rarely recover, because they're so stigmatised by high profile failure

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2011, 05:23:12 PM »
I think it was Alan Sugar who said that a famous, recently retired Ex-International came to him for an interview for the Spurs Manager position.
Sugar asked what qualities he had for the job, he replied
'I was a top, international footballer.'

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal