collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Martin The Great  (Read 16470 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Martin The Great
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 02:30:30 PM »
Get him in for a junior coaching job whilst he does his badges and assess his capability, willingness and commitment to the role. Then take a view.

Offline Matthius

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 02:31:57 PM »
Get him in for a junior coaching job whilst he does his badges and assess his capability, willingness and commitment to the role. Then take a view.

Perfect idea !!!!!!!

Offline Zhong Yi

• Let's All Have A Disco....la la la la
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 02:33:07 PM »
nice to read his comments about his affiliation with the club. I for one have been championing him as Villa boss for ages! Hope it happens.

UP THE VILLA

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 03:03:08 PM »
I'm sure at one point fans of Porto were dismissing the idea od appointing Bobby Robson's interpreter as their manager.  Hughes had no management experience when he took the Wales job. 

My point being that all managers, good bad or indifferent, start somewhere.  I like the idea of someone with the club in their blood getting a go, instead of the same old names always being linked, so why not try something different?

Have him as manager to instill some passion and hunger to the side, have Sid and K-Mac as his coaches and get a DOF in to give them guidance and handle the scouting and transfers.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:06:05 PM by John M »

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 03:04:03 PM »
Based on what, exactly?

Why do so many people think that a manager will be a roaring success just because he played for a club?  I don't get it.

Offline Matthius

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 03:06:44 PM »
7/10 times it tends to work man with a stick.  :-\

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 03:10:26 PM »
While we're at it, how about jobs for Dion Dublin, Gary Shaw and Ugo Ehiogu?

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 03:10:51 PM »
I'm sure at one point fans of Porto were dismissing the idea od appointing Bobby Robson's interpreter as their manager.  Hughes had no management experience when he took the Wales job. 

My point being that all managers, good bad or indifferent, start somewhere.  I like the idea of someone with the club in their blood getting a go, instead of the same old names always being linked, so why not try something different? 
Because it would be based on hope or guesswork.  And it's too big a job to be given to someone whose suitability to manage a club, let alone a Premier League club, you have absolutely no idea about.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 03:19:32 PM »

Because it would be based on hope or guesswork.  And it's too big a job to be given to someone whose suitability to manage a club, let alone a Premier League club, you have absolutely no idea about.

His suitability would be ascertained by the interview process.  As I said every manager started somewhere, so if he has the passion and intelligence to convince the club he'll be a great manager for us, why wait for him to have a few jobs elsewhere to prove it as opposed to backing our own judgement and giving him the job?

Offline Risso

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 03:19:46 PM »

Exactly.  One of the problems these days is that too many clubs give jobs to ex-players before they've proved their worth lower down the leagues.  Look at Newcastle and Shearer, I'm sure they hoped that their legendary player was going to inspire them to stay up.  In fact he was shit, Newcastle were shit, and down they went.  All of our decent managers (eg Taylor, Atkinson, Little, O'Neill) learned their trade at the coal face.

Offline Risso

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 03:26:43 PM »
His suitability would be ascertained by the interview process.   

Blimey, do you ever have to take people on in your role John?

"So Mr Smith, tell me what makes you think you'll be a great computer programmer."

"Well, I love computers.  Computing's in my blood!"

"Have you any experience?"

"No"

"When can you start?!"

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 03:29:01 PM »
This is one of the reasons that I keep banging on about having a DoF. 

One of his main jobs would be to coach the coaches establishing a "Villa way".  I just do not see how the traditional manger would have the time for this sort of role. 

The likes of Laursen would happily manage a youth team whilst learning the nitty gritty of management from an experienced guy.  If he if is good at it then he can be promoted through the ranks.

Job's a good un.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 03:29:38 PM »
Shearer at Newcastle was the last desperate gamble of a doomed club, which is quite different to this.

With the right coaches and a DOF, it could be a real inovative and successful move for us.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 03:31:51 PM »
7/10 times it tends to work man with a stick.  :-\

Really? Have you got a link to the study that shows this?

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 03:39:04 PM »
His suitability would be ascertained by the interview process.   

Blimey, do you ever have to take people on in your role John?

As it happens I don't, but if it was just a matter of experience why would you bother interviewing as opposed to just picking someone from the CVs that come in?  And who'd ever be able to get a managers job once they stop playing?

I'm not saying that he'll be the next great manager a la Fergie or Mourinho, but if a suitable target isn't available I'd prefer we try something like this than go more the likes of McLaren. 

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:41:39 PM by John M »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal