collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% villa-Martin jol appointed as fulham boss  (Read 10235 times)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Re: 0% villa-Martin jol appointed as fulham boss
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 12:08:01 PM »
One thing about Jol going there is that I'm farely certain he would have preferred the Villa job.  So, if we weren't interested then that should mean we've got better in mind.  And given that JOL is quite a good manager, surely that means we have someone VERY good in mond?
Does not necessarily mean better, that is subjective really based on who is doing the picking.  Who they think is better may not be who you think is better.

That was my take too. Assuming he would have at least met with us before signing a contract at Fulham, which he doesn't seem to have, that suggests we must have other solid options in mind, if not nailed on.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 12:09:09 PM »
Randy seems to me to dither in these times- he should have been here last week and already had a shortlist as houlliers departure was widely expected- the interviews should have been done and the new man getting on with sorting out his squad rather than randy just flying in today.

We cannot afford this to be a long drawn out process or we will miss out on available transfer options.

Really can't agree with this.

We couldn't approach/interview managers while Houllier was till in the job.  And confuse us not knowing what's happening with Randy 'dithering'. 

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 12:17:22 PM »
If we are only following a code of etiquette in not pursuing managers already employed then we will always end up with the likes of the wally with the brolly.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 12:25:54 PM »
I just hope we appoint the right man soon we don't wan't a situation like last year.

Offline Mark Someone

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 12:39:18 PM »
I'm still putting my hope on Carlo ... plus I have £20 on him @ 20/1.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 01:14:33 PM »
Dithering? Fannying about?

Fuck me. It's been a week and there are two months left until the season starts. Utter hysterical nonsense.

I reckon we will have made an appointment by the end of this or the beginning of next week. Hell, I think we might even appoint a manager better than Martin Jol by then.

Offline Ryu

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 01:15:37 PM »
As someone mentioned on one of the 15 other new manager threads didn't Martin 'no facial expression' Jol lose out to Schteve in a title race in Holland? Seems a bit strange to be refusing to get a season ticket if he is appointed whilst saying Fulham have done really well to quickly appoint Jol when his record is hardly miles better IMHO.

Not saying I'd rather Schteve than Jol, but I do think its more that his credibility was destroyed by the press rather than his ability as a football manager that has created such vehement opposition to him coming here. It's been mentioned already but I see lots of similarities to Graham 'Turnip' Taylor's treatment.

I still would be gutted if we end up with him, though!

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 01:16:24 PM »
Randy seems to me to dither in these times- he should have been here last week and already had a shortlist as houlliers departure was widely expected- the interviews should have been done and the new man getting on with sorting out his squad rather than randy just flying in today.

We cannot afford this to be a long drawn out process or we will miss out on available transfer options.

Really can't agree with this.

We couldn't approach/interview managers while Houllier was till in the job.  And confuse us not knowing what's happening with Randy 'dithering'. 

I'd not expect us to be approaching managers with GH still in situ, but would be utterly amazed (and disappointed) if they hadn't started to think about possible candidates for the succession from the minute GH was taken into hospital. It was always on the cards we'd need a replacement from that moment on.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 01:58:41 PM »
Interesting that MoN didn't get it.

You might back him ahead of Jol and he is supposed to be friends with Al Fayed.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 01:59:06 PM »
Especially as we *seem* to have ushered him out the door quite firmly.

Offline nicardinho

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 03:42:35 PM »
As someone mentioned on one of the 15 other new manager threads didn't Martin 'no facial expression' Jol lose out to Schteve in a title race in Holland? Seems a bit strange to be refusing to get a season ticket if he is appointed whilst saying Fulham have done really well to quickly appoint Jol when his record is hardly miles better IMHO.

Not saying I'd rather Schteve than Jol, but I do think its more that his credibility was destroyed by the press rather than his ability as a football manager that has created such vehement opposition to him coming here.

I think there are a lot of similarities with managers coming in as with players coming in - there is a perception that foreign is better.

Offline Ryu

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 03:56:49 PM »
I think the english versus foreign thing applies when talking up Martinez as well.
Might well be a very good manager but his achievements with Wigan don't even line up that well against potato head's. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal