collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% villa-Martin jol appointed as fulham boss  (Read 10183 times)

Offline sid cowans10

Re: 0% villa-Martin jol appointed as fulham boss
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 10:05:03 AM »
we always seem to piss about would be nice to get someone in so they can draw up what targets they want and get them here before pre season and have a bit of organisation about the place not like the shambles of last year whoever gets the job we must get behind them even if it is brolly man i dont think he would be that bad TBH

Offline Outcast2006

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 10:27:59 AM »
Wouldn't have minded Jol for us to be honest.  Fulham have not messed around here.

Online Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 10:35:56 AM »
I think our apparent slowness off the mark is a lot to do with RL dividing his time between here and the USA and he naturally likes to do things in person.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 10:41:29 AM »
I would have had Jol as manager but I think he only wanted to manage in London as he still has a house there!

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 10:43:11 AM »
Jol was my first choice so disappointed he's gone to Fulham. I think it was so quick because they wanted him last year when Hodgson went to Liverpool but he wasn't available. Maybe that's why Hughes was only on a 2 year contract with a 1 year get-out clause? Timing just fell perfectly for them

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 10:51:30 AM »
Think its more to do with the timescale of actually drawing up a creditable list. Unless you're picking exclusively from the unemployed, clubs have to put out 'feelers' to find if certain candidates would be interested and the way we seem to operate i doubt we want to be accused of tapping someone up. Al Fayed's interview process probably just consisted of him asking Jol, Curbishley and O'Neill how much they hated the Duke of Edinburgh

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 10:53:58 AM »
One thing about Jol going there is that I'm farely certain he would have preferred the Villa job.  So, if we weren't interested then that should mean we've got better in mind.  And given that JOL is quite a good manager, surely that means we have someone VERY good in mond?

Offline Outcast2006

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
I would guess that we are looking primarily at the unemployed actually and not wanting to approach another club about their manager.  Just my opinion

Offline Outcast2006

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 10:56:24 AM »
One thing about Jol going there is that I'm farely certain he would have preferred the Villa job.  So, if we weren't interested then that should mean we've got better in mind.  And given that JOL is quite a good manager, surely that means we have someone VERY good in mond?
Does not necessarily mean better, that is subjective really based on who is doing the picking.  Who they think is better may not be who you think is better.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 11:01:13 AM »
I would guess that we are looking primarily at the unemployed actually and not wanting to approach another club about their manager.  Just my opinion

Probably, but there's nothing wrong with trying to get an employed manager as long as you do it the right way. I'm sure we've explored that route but it takes time to do that

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 11:02:02 AM »
Fair play to Fulham, Jol has a decent record, they have moved quickly and filled their vacancy giving the new boss maximum time to make plans and act in the transfer window.  I honestly don't know what our lot are fannying about at.  They knew several weeks ago there was a good chance we would need a new gaffer this close season, so they've had several weeks to seek advice, see who might be available, sound them out as to whether they may be interested and to make their minds up.   At the speed they are moving we'll end up with McLaren by default as there will be no-one else left - or McCallister.

Offline Outcast2006

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 11:05:20 AM »

Probably, but there's nothing wrong with trying to get an employed manager as long as you do it the right way. I'm sure we've explored that route but it takes time to do that
I agree.  In fact for me the better menagers are those already in a job (in the main) so it is that crop you should be looking at not those who are out of work because they have failed (admittedly there are levels of failure,  Ancelotti would not necessarily have been a failure for example but you get my point no doubt)

Offline eastie

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 11:32:16 AM »
Randy seems to me to dither in these times- he should have been here last week and already had a shortlist as houlliers departure was widely expected- the interviews should have been done and the new man getting on with sorting out his squad rather than randy just flying in today.

We cannot afford this to be a long drawn out process or we will miss out on available transfer options.

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 11:52:54 AM »
Well there goes my number one choise :( Bring back Doug!! ;)

Im not slagging our board off one bit, but it does worry me that we have a NFL owner and Vietnam vet in charge...Paul Faulkner who??? How are they going about the recruitment process as I dont see a lot of football knowledge dripping out of the 3 of them. Wouldnt surprise me if they advertsied the position with Randstad they way its going...we need the right man this year or the work Oneill started goes out the window.

Offline cdward

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 11:59:28 AM »
Surely this leaves a green light to appoint Mark Hughes, no compensation, no notice period. I can't see it going anywhere else, last weeks events all point to it. Just waiting for Randy to arrive.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal