collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How would you feel if we appointed Steve McClaren?  (Read 68239 times)

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Re: How would you feel if we hired Steve McLaren
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 06:50:37 PM »
Not happy - better out there , but I will give him time.

I think there is a good coach in there, he did very well in Holland.

He just made a total tit out of himself with the umbrella.

From his point of view, this would be an excellent chance to get back into the game.

Offline Summers

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 06:52:59 PM »
It was raining, he used an umbrella.. seems normal. 

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2011, 06:52:59 PM »
This anti-McLaren bandwagon is almost as embarrassing as the March for Carlito movement

I'm going to walk around with a brolly tomorrow to show my displeasure. I'll even put it up if it rains.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2011, 06:54:14 PM »
i personaly think McClaren is a better coach than Moyes and Hughes, as they are a couple of won nothing done nothings,

but theres no way Randy could appoint him as the backlash would be very damaging for Villa

i cant criticize the posters who wouldnt go to watch with Mclaren in charge, because i felt the same way in the new year when Allardyce was touted for the post.
i can honestly say i wouldnt bother going if we had anti football manager at VP like Big Sam or Pullis, i would take McClaren 10 times over than one of that pair of hoof merchants.

so i breath more easily now he's turned up at Weast Ham, but i trust in Randy 100% and i'm sure we have nothing to worry about

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2011, 06:54:25 PM »
If news of his appointment was on Midlands Today, i'd put my foot through the TV and send the bill to Randy Lerner!

Something along the lines of this. Criticising people for citing that they would no longer renew etc is all very well, but it is the most effective way to show dissatisfaction with a decision. I would not be at VP anyway next season much for financial reasons, but the incentive to save and go to selected games would be seriously diminished, and I can understand those that would not want to go and watch his side. We beat them 4-0 at their place. February 4 - Middlesbrough supporters call for McClaren to be sacked during 4-0 home defeat to Aston Villa. 3 months later he was appointed England boss. Baffling decision then, and even more baffling if we appoint him. Shit manager with 1 good season in Holland, clearly due to his ability to learn the language. Please. God. No.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2011, 06:54:57 PM »
I would feel the wind through my hair after leaping off "hells mouth".

Offline NeilH

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2011, 06:57:26 PM »
This anti-McLaren bandwagon is almost as embarrassing as the March for Carlito movement

I'm going to walk around with a brolly tomorrow to show my displeasure. I'll even put it up if it rains.

Ik zal ook protest en zoals McClaren zal ik morgen alleen in het Nederlands spreken. Ik ben helemaal ontevreden. In feit zal ik maar woedend worden.

Offline tim

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2011, 06:57:48 PM »
It was raining, he used an umbrella.. seems normal. 
Unfortunatly a lot of people are too stupid to realise this and therefore just go along with the backlash without much thought. I am not keen on him - just something about him that doesn't seem convincing - but I'd rather have him come in, have a go and see what happens than just reel off all the negative clichés without seeing what he's capable of. Not my first choice but rather him than Moyes.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2011, 06:58:28 PM »
McLaren was a highly regarded coach at Derby and Manchester United, and that was some achievement to win the Dutch League with Twente. Balanced against that, his record at Middlesbrough given the financial backing he received was disappointing, and his spell as England manager is best forgotten.

Overall, I'm sorry but I'm shallow. I just don't like his smug face, his ridiculous hair or any of his accents.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2011, 06:59:17 PM »

Ik zal ook protest en zoals McClaren zal ik morgen alleen in het Nederlands spreken. Ik ben helemaal ontevreden. In feit zal ik maar woedend worden.

What he said.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2011, 07:08:17 PM »
I wouldn't be thrilled with the appointment but I would still support Villa and hope somebody came up to me at the end of the season and said "now don't you feel silly" as we hold aloft a trophy (and of course we are not relegated).

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2011, 07:09:15 PM »
It's the kind of appointment that would give everyone a good laugh. Unless you're a Villa fan that is. Hard to imagine a bigger disaster than appointing McClaren.

As for the post above. Call me stupid then. Because he looked an absolute baffoon stood there like a statue with a fucking umbrella while Slaven Billic kicked every ball on the touchline for his team. And they'd already qualified.

Does anyone genuinely want this joke of a man managing Aston Villa?

Offline gervilla

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2011, 07:10:20 PM »
Pissed off but hey that comes with  following The Villa.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2011, 07:15:19 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I believe Benitez will be appointed. Yes, he's eccentric, unpopular among some and not exactly media savvy. And past records aren't everything, but if you compare his CV with that of McClaren or Hughes, then it's a knockout, and it would be strange if the board didn't realize this.

It's a shame (if) we are excluding managers without PL experience. I agree that PL experience is an advantage, but a process that leads us to reject van Gaal automatically while seriously considering McClaren has a flaw somewhere.

Offline tim

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2011, 07:15:25 PM »
It's the kind of appointment that would give everyone a good laugh. Unless you're a Villa fan that is. Hard to imagine a bigger disaster than appointing McClaren.

As for the post above. Call me stupid then. Because he looked an absolute baffoon stood there like a statue with a fucking umbrella while Slaven Billic kicked every ball on the touchline for his team. And they'd already qualified.

Does anyone genuinely want this joke of a man managing Aston Villa?

That umberella incident was one game. But it seems that it's the only thing a lot of people seem interested in... To me it seems bizarre that people can't get over it, that's all.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal