collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How would you feel if we appointed Steve McClaren?  (Read 68292 times)

Offline Summers

Re: How would you feel if we hired Steve McLaren
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 06:36:09 PM »
To add to this; if McClaren wasn't McClaren and was named Julio McExotic and had been assistant at Real Madrid, then managed a small side and won a cup, then managed a national side and failed - but then moved to Twente and won the league then there'd be less negativity. The negativity all stems from it being Steve McClaren, not his track record or his ability.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 06:36:44 PM »
As one of this site's eminent drama queens, I'd vomit into my Gucci handbag and stick my stiletto through a footman's eye socket.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 06:37:34 PM »
Sadly, the brolly and fake Dutch accent incidents have done him no favours at all.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 06:38:39 PM »
To add to this; if McClaren wasn't McClaren and was named Julio McExotic and had been assistant at Real Madrid, then managed a small side and won a cup, then managed a national side and failed - but then moved to Twente and won the league then there'd be less negativity. The negativity all stems from it being Steve McClaren, not his track record or his ability.

I think you're right, and that may be why he adopted the Dutch accent to become, drum roll................ Stevieo McExotico!!

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 06:38:39 PM »
I'd be gutted, because we would be stuck in mid table mediocrity for years.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 06:38:54 PM »
Given the mass hysteria over his mere mention, I'd probably join the rest of you in a Guyanan jungle commune and then drink the 'happy juice'

Offline MadJohnnyC

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 06:39:01 PM »
I honestly don't think it would be disastrous. Sure, I would much rather have an Ancelotti, Van Gaal or Rijkaard as i strongly believe anything other than a big european name could only consolidate us as the top 6/7 feeder club that we are. We need to start acting bigger than that. Hughes, Martinez, Jol etc would keep us as we are. If people are happy with that then fine. But i'd rather have a go and fail, than never give it a shot at all and just simply exist as we are. McLaren would be better than Hughes. Other than England his record really is quite good. Add to that the length of time he was number 2 to Alex Ferguson, and the experiences of managing internationally and abroad, he should be reasonably clued up by now....

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 06:39:29 PM »
I would not be happy but would reluctantly back him.

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 06:40:38 PM »
Given the mass hysteria over his mere mention, I'd probably join the rest of you in a Guyanan jungle commune and then drink the 'happy juice'
Um Bongo laced with Absinthe would be a perfectly acceptable alternative.

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 06:42:07 PM »
Judging by the club's past 'let's go by whatever Villa fans say on the website' formula, we have no fears about him being appointed.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 06:43:17 PM »
This anti-McLaren bandwagon is almost as embarrassing as the March for Carlito movement

Offline Diablo

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2011, 06:44:11 PM »
I honestly don't think it would be disastrous. Sure, I would much rather have an Ancelotti, Van Gaal or Rijkaard as i strongly believe anything other than a big european name could only consolidate us as the top 6/7 feeder club that we are. We need to start acting bigger than that. Hughes, Martinez, Jol etc would keep us as we are. If people are happy with that then fine. But i'd rather have a go and fail, than never give it a shot at all and just simply exist as we are. McLaren would be better than Hughes. Other than England his record really is quite good. Add to that the length of time he was number 2 to Alex Ferguson, and the experiences of managing internationally and abroad, he should be reasonably clued up by now....

I don't think he'd be better than Hughes, Martinez or Jol myself. I think all 3 of those have their merits and would prefer any of them although I can see what you are saying.

Offline hartman_1982

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2011, 06:44:40 PM »
It would be disasterous. Before we had even played a game under him, we would have gone backwards. Fans would be waiting to pounce, players would see it as a negative step and the press would bill it as part of us reducing costs. I would fear for the man if he came in.

Luckily, our chairman is RL and I dont think there is a cat in hells chance of it happening. Randy knows who he wants and he will go and get him. Personally, I have a sneaky feeling it will be Moyes, but the dreamer in me says King Louis (Van Gaal).

Offline Summers

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2011, 06:45:05 PM »
I think I'd prefer McClaren over Jol. I just have a bad feeling about Jol.

Offline Rodders

• GM : 30.08.2024
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 06:46:50 PM »
Ooh, I'd probably burn my annuals and programme collection (going back to 1979 when I was 6), my replica tops going back to Mita 83/4, never visit Villa Park ever again and probably start supporting that nice team from down the road with the lovely blue kit.

Tch.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal