collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Centre Cannot Hold  (Read 20994 times)

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
Re: The Centre Cannot Hold
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 11:08:42 AM »
Sure, maybe. But if in two weeks' time there's been no manager announced, and Young is off to United, and Downing is starting negotiations with other clubs, this place will be chaos.
Well let's wait and see what happens in the next two weeks.  All the noises from Villa Park are that the board are looking to appoint someone very quickly.  Everything else will flow from that.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 11:16:22 AM »
I don't understand this obsession with Curbishley beingg o nthe "list" - he hasn't worked in footie management for bleedin' years! No chairman with any ambition for their club at all is going to hire him...

... now, is that the kiss of death, or what?!

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 11:25:09 AM »
I don't understand this obsession with Curbishley beingg o nthe "list" - he hasn't worked in footie management for bleedin' years! No chairman with any ambition for their club at all is going to hire him...

... now, is that the kiss of death, or what?!

No and I'd give you 1000-1 on us appointing him.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 11:27:18 AM »
Some people see problems, others see opportunities.

SWAT

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 11:27:35 AM »
If you're this depressed now, what were you like when we lost at home to Wolves???

Will be a bit down if we sell Downing as well as Young, but I'm sure we'd bring replacements in.

Not many clubs can say they have as good an owner as us in the World either.

Online not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 11:28:58 AM »
I don't understand this obsession with Curbishley beingg o nthe "list"

Some things are just always possible.  Aston Villa are always about to sign Robbie Keane and Alan Curbishley is always one of the names mentioned when the manager's position becomes vacant.  It's in the rules.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 11:36:24 AM »
I don't understand this obsession with Curbishley beingg o nthe "list"

Some things are just always possible.  Aston Villa are always about to sign Robbie Keane and Alan Curbishley is always one of the names mentioned when the manager's position becomes vacant.  It's in the rules.

Yep, Keane and Curbishley are just about to drop out of the cache with Jermaine Defoe and Jurgen Klnsmann not far behind

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 11:38:54 AM »
Houllier gone. Reo-Coker and Carew gone. Friedel gone. Young and Downing fairly likely to go, the former being almost certain. Bent being potentially restless (already) as a result.

Some might argue that those already departed are of no great importance to the club's future, and that the others are simply speculation for the moment.

But really, given that appointing a manager is likely to take another couple of weeks - and the fact that even if all our players had decided to stay, we'd still be needing to add fresh faces after a poor season - how likely is it that we'll be ready for next season?

It's going to be an interesting one, and a massive massive challenge for the incoming manager, IMO. It's by no means guaranteed that we'll have a better year than this one has been.

I truth I do think next season is going to 'transitional'.  Last season wasn't - it was a write off/one to learn from, but 2011/2012 will have a new manager and a host of new players and both will need time to bed in.  As long as they are of sufficient quality I'm prepared for it.   

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 11:42:08 AM »
If you're this depressed now, what were you like when we lost at home to Wolves???

I was as disappointed as everybody. Depressed? Not over soccer. More important things in the world.

I still think H&V will being crying into its collective cereal as usual at the end of the season.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 11:48:43 AM »
ATAL - are you not being a little premature with this? If there was one thing to learn from the MON era, you have to wait until 1st September to be worrying.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 11:48:55 AM »
I can honestly say I'm excited at this stage. There is always a possibilty that things can go tits up but I have complete faith in the owner and that he has the best interests of the club at heart and the capabilty to restore us to somewhere near the top.
He'll know how important this appointment will be and he'll back this next manager.

I'm past caring who will and won't be still here. Aston Villa will be still here and players are simpy transtitional assets, a means to an end with their own agendas. Some more noble than others, true. That doesnt mean I dont want to keep our better players but you have to trust Randy to make the right choice and that choice to make the right choices. I see no reason why we cant have a decisive and exciting summer and hit the new season with momentum.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 11:50:27 AM »
I can honestly say I'm excited at this stage. There is always a possibilty that things can go tits up but I have complete faith in the owner and that he has the best interests of the club at heart and the capabilty to restore us to somewhere near the top.
He'll know how important this appointment will be and he'll back this next manager.

I'm past caring who will and won't be still here. Aston Villa will be still here and players are simpy transtitional assets, a means to an end with their own agendas. Some more noble than others, true. That doesnt mean I dont want to keep our better players but you have to trust Randy to make the right choice and that choice to make the right choices. I see no reason why we cant have a decisive and exciting summer and hit the new season with momentum.

Most sensible reply yet. Fair enough.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 11:52:02 AM »
Is 3rd of June a new record for writing off the season?

I'm quite excited by the thought of a new manager with money to spend.

I'll take untempered optimism over baseless negativity disguised as "reality" any day of the week.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 11:52:46 AM »
ATAL, I haven't been this excited in a couple of years. The final years of MON's reign was marked by the dark clouds gathering on the horizon and ended with us needing a manager days before the season started. This is different. We have had a dreadful season (yet finished ninth) and have a whole summer of change to look forward to.

I'm looking forward to the new look villa that will emerge in the coming months. Embrace change, don't fear it!

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011, 11:56:29 AM »
Is 3rd of June a new record for writing off the season?

I'm quite excited by the thought of a new manager with money to spend.

I'll take untempered optimism over baseless negativity disguised as "reality" any day of the week.

You're still here?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal