collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[April 26, 2024, 10:36:44 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[April 26, 2024, 11:05:00 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Player's Champions League ambition  (Read 5156 times)

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
Player's Champions League ambition
« on: June 01, 2011, 03:58:57 PM »
So many bigger name is always looking for champions league football. Is it that important ? What wrong with playing for a good big club.  Is it better to play for Aston Villa instead of say Villarreal for regular champions league football.

If I were to leave Aston Villa I would want to play for Barcelona / AC Milan / Real Madrid  instead of say Florentina or Valencia. I wouldn't want to play for Manure or Chelsea or Liverpool lol.

If you play champions league football, you are unlikely to be a first team regular like Lionel Messi of Barcelona. Would you want to travel to europe 6 times a year for champions league away matches, and 5 matches away all over the world for England and also pre season training / friendlies. You won't get time to spend with family.

Offline Damo70

Re: Player's Champions League ambition
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 04:16:21 PM »
It's just a fashionable cop-out these days for players to say they want to play in the CL. It sounds better than I want to play for a bigger or better club or I want more money. They mean they want to go to Man Utd or Chelsea ideally. Can you see Ash or Stu going to Rubin Kazan or FC Copenhagen?

Offline Summers

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 04:22:24 PM »
You're a Villa fan, not a professional football player who is making a living playing. If I were a pro playing for a club like Fulham or Sunderland then a bigger club came along where I'd earn more and play at a higher level and win things, I'd be off. Downing and Young don't love this club like we do, so of course they wont share our genuine loyalty. Look at Wayne "Always a Blue" Rooney for an example of player loyalty.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 04:30:03 PM »
Roughly translated it means "my agent has been blowing smoke up my arse and i now think im maradona. I want more money.

Well fuck you downing. Ash, you may leave with our blessing IMO as despite everything you have given 100% everytime ive seen you. Downing, you bloody well owe this club you mercenary. We pluck you from the champo with a broken leg, pay you to get fit, sit you in Capellos favourite ground and give you the freedom to perform as you like. And after 10months of good performance you decide you are better than us? I will two foot you next time I see you, see if Liverpool will buy you with a 6month injury and no guarantee you will reach your previous level again...

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 04:30:45 PM »
I would reckon with todays footballers all they see is the holy grail that is champions league football I would like to think they would stay with us for a few years to see if they could achieve there target with us first.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 04:38:19 PM »
Nice one Mattjpa.  Im sure that will entice Downing to change his mercenary ways.  Is "Two foot you" something like a ninja sky kick out of interest?

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 04:51:25 PM »
Roughly translated it means "my agent has been blowing smoke up my arse and i now think im maradona. I want more money.

Well fuck you downing. Ash, you may leave with our blessing IMO as despite everything you have given 100% everytime ive seen you. Downing, you bloody well owe this club you mercenary. We pluck you from the champo with a broken leg, pay you to get fit, sit you in Capellos favourite ground and give you the freedom to perform as you like. And after 10months of good performance you decide you are better than us? I will two foot you next time I see you, see if Liverpool will buy you with a 6month injury and no guarantee you will reach your previous level again...
Love it and is also very true.

Offline luke25

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 04:52:59 PM »
Can you see Ash or Stu going to Rubin Kazan or FC Copenhagen?
That would be fantastic, call Downing into the managers office, tell him we've had a bid from Rubin Kazan, we don't want to stand in his way of Champions league football so have accepted the bid, watch his bottom lip tremble and his eyes water, ******!

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 04:55:54 PM »
personally, i am sick to death of english players...

as soon as they get a bit of form they go away with england, get "tapped up" by another over rated over paid wanker and then think they are gods gift to the world and their attitude stinks until they move to another club for a huge payrise and get lauded as the biggest and bestest player to ever grace the game by a clueless and delusional media...

this despite the fact that they cant trap a bag of sand...

i want villa to bring in more foreign players...

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 04:58:42 PM »
Dear Downing and Young. In the words of the great Mike Patton:

You want it all but you can't have it.

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 05:36:35 PM »
Do these people live on the same planet as me? Do A Young and Downing really believe that they're good enough to play Champions League football?

I don't think so.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 06:06:22 PM »
Do these people live on the same planet as me? Do A Young and Downing really believe that they're good enough to play Champions League football?

I don't think so.
Of course they are.

Michael Carrick, Denilson, Salomon Kalou, Jonny Evans and Nickolas Bendtner were all good enough to play Champions League football this season and Downing and Young are far better than any of them.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 07:12:21 PM »
I don`t begrudge Downing moving in a way,but  Young is seriously deluded if he
a) Thinks he`s good enough
b)Thinks it`s a given that Man U will walk into the final .Their time is up both tactically and squad age wise.
Why doesn`t  he just stay and try and make us top 4 material.He could be a hero instead of a plank.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 07:32:06 PM »
If I was in their position I'd do the exact same thing.

Not so much for the Champions League football but to play for a bigger club with a chance of winning things. Sadly, even a Liverpool or a Spurs are much closer to that than us and in Liverpool's case there is definitely more of a prestige there than with us. There was a time when we could have done it but we pissed away two more than decent opportunities which we are unlikely to get again. Whereas at the point Barry and Milner left we were probably in a better position which makes their leaving worse than Ash or Downing.

Furthermore whilst both Spurs and Liverpool can look to the new season with some element of positivity we are in a situation where we are looking at losing two top players and have no manager. If you were a player at Newcastle, Sunderland or Everton who were in that situation you would do the same thing.

And as for us taking a chance on him when he was injured. It was our player who injured him. He'd have probably been on the move to one of them had it not been for that injury.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 10:58:15 PM »
Hence why I don't begrudge young. It's his time-he has seen his contract into it's last year and I have never expected anything other than this moment for him. But downing has started whoring himself around after ten good months of service. He has been saying the opposite for the last few Months. His agent must be sitting there like a little devil on his shoulder

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal